LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

I believe Barmanbean has one, but the splitter fitment wasn't great due to the drivetrain drop from the OBXT subframe spacers. I cant pay that much for a top mount and not have it fit absolutely perfect (or modify it nicely to do so). :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that is needed is a trim piece with a larger bulb. In fact, if GS wanted to be great to the OBXT guys they would offer this specifically for our fitment.

I am still trying to source said trim but I got GS to send me the specs on the standard trim so I know what to move up from.

Now that I have been living with the TMIC and looking very carefully I really like the design and fitment.

IIRC, there are a handful of guys running these on the OBXT.

I am running one in my obxt. You can modify the splitter with weather stripping or angle the tmic up with some spacers from a hardware store.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone running the 8mm Phenolic spacers with this TMIC??

My car is apart right now but I don't think there are clearance issues between the intake runners and the big top mount.

Anyone running the 8mm Phenolic spacers with this TMIC??

My car is apart right now but I don't think there are clearance issues between the intake runners and the big top mount.

Doobarugt is running then on his car, I believe.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Just installed the GS TMIC this weekend on my 05 LGT 5MT.

GFB Respons, STI Up pipe, Perrin DP, FMS Catback, VF40.

I was having an issue with -2.10 degrees of FKL in boost, which Dave @ Cryotune told me could certainly be a leaking/separated stock intercooler.

Lo and behold, I install the GS TMIC, reset the ECU, DAM becomes 1.00 after about 5 minutes of driving, and all fine knock learning has subsided. There is no longer a hesitation from 3-4k RPM, the Cobb AP registers no knocking, and I'm a happy boy.

All in all, the install wasn't too bad, although the silicone couplers were a pain to get seated correctly (fair enough, as it's pretty tight up there).

I have my GFB Respons BOV sitting on the IC, no fitment or rubbing issues of any sort.

• 1 month later...

Here's an install tip for the couplers.

I put them on the tmic for a few day's and left it in the shed during the warmer weather, to let that TB hose form to the tmic. when the weekend came and I did the install, the tmic dropped right into that coupler.

I've heard some heat the couplers on heat water.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I did actually, did you?

There were no real conclusive answers to it, sure the compressor outlet is different but thats a problem we deal with even for the Process West one, but its not a major. There didn't seem to be any testing or measuring of whether it would foul on the master cylinder or just miss it

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

I did actually, did you?

There were no real conclusive answers to it, sure the compressor outlet is different but thats a problem we deal with even for the Process West one, but its not a major. There didn't seem to be any testing or measuring of whether it would foul on the master cylinder or just miss it

That wasn't meant to be a smartass "SEARCH THE THREAD" answer... I just remembered seeing someone trying it out (And yes... since you asked, I've been part of this thread since the start and read every post at some point a few months ago when it started... which is why I was trying to be helpful to let you know that it might be in here if you hadn't already looked.), and didn't have time to find it for you. Sorry if you misinterpreted my tone.

My suggestion would be if you can find the person who did try it that you PM them to get more info.

Yea sorry, man, just came across that way.Happens alot where people think its a dumb obvious question but in most cases there's not always as much info on the sometimes subtle differences in the JDM models.

I've tried searching and glanced through the whole thing a while back but could only find people asking similar questions. And not anyone who actually made it to the fitment stage.

Edited by Andy_Mac

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

My Forge fit perfectly. I just made it purty and hoping all is well tonight with my prime and test fire for a dyno tune thursday. Thanks CRYO/Dave!!!

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/childreth13/20151115_162959_zpsxhxlbv2p.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm probably asking something that is already been discussed and my search had come up empty.

What are you guys doing as far as using a samco or venair bpv hose connection to the valve itself? I still have my oem hose but I've went as far as hooking everything up to just take it all off again to use the oem part.

Thanks for any ideas

• 10 months later...

You would need an air temperature sensor in both endtanks and data log in it exactly the same conditions.

My guess is that it does very little, but might help slightly with heat soak.

I still heat taped the bottom and side of the hotside tank. Mostly because I had the tape sitting around.

I didn't put the gold tape under the heat coated one on the Spec B put I did put it under the hot side of the un-coated one on my wagon. I also have the gold tape inside the stock turbo heat shield.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 years later...