LegacyGT.com

Will be choosing all-seasons for ALL SEASON USE

Nolmers06LGT

I'm between the Continental DWS's and the Bridgestone Potenza RE970's. I will be using these tires year-round, as opposed to a 3-season fitment. Has anyone successfully driven the RE970's in snow? Should I sacrifice a little performance and go with the DWS's based upon winter handling, or are the RE970's manageable?

Get the RE970s. Or Michelin Pilot Sports ASs.

I've been leaning toward the RE970s- TireRack has them listed for less than the crappy Ecopia's I have and the tire salesman told me he'll match pricing. The DWS's are even cheaper, but I don't like the steering response.

Ultimately I'm just afraid that the RE970's will give me stopping issues in the winter- If they aren't that bad, the decision is made. Hopefully it won't take more than a week to do the swap; I'm just lucky the salesman is willing to work with me on resolving this.. I thought I was stuck with my bad decision.

RE970s year round here!!! Driven them in 6" inches of un-plowed snow no issue:p

I would choose them over DSWs all day... DSWs are noted for having soft sidewalls, and the RE970s do not. So for handling alone the RE970s win.... Tirerack never published the Winter Comparison, but the RE970s are fine unless you plan to 'drive like you stole it' in the snow:lol:

Tire Rack Test Comparison

FYI - I actually run them on both my Subarus - :wub:

You will benefit from true Snows, but if you're looking for the one tire answer the RE970s are pretty close - The New Michelin Pilot Sport 3s are supposed to be the silver bullet, but I bet they will be $$$$$....

Edit: Here's a bit of Testing Info on the Pilot Sport 3s - Basically better handling than the 970s, and FYI the PS3s beat the Dry Weather DS Tire, so that should tell the DSWs are out..... No idea on Winter Performance (too new), but the current A/S Plus is pretty highly rated so I doubt it would any worse than that at least. There's also a Tire Tester Quote that it's got good stopping power.

Good to hear man. Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks- me too. I'm just lucky to have a learning experience end up with a good result. I can't wait to feel the new treads, especially after getting used to the crappy ecopia's. Those tires may be good for some cars, but the LGT is a horrible application.

Archived