LegacyGT.com

good mechanic in montgomery county, md?

kla25

Hi I am new to the forum, just purchased a 05 legacy gt wagon. any good recommendation for a good local mechanic in the montgomery county, md area? just want a good mechanic that knows the subaru brand reliable and good price. i am willing to travel a lil if the guy is really good. Thanks.

DPStuning and Andrewtech are the only one's I have brought my subaru's too (04 sti, 05 lgt wagon, and 05 2nd lgt wagon. Even brought my 335i to DPS. Both provide high quality work for around the same price. Scheduling is sometimes hard because both are in demand.

I disagree there. They tried to scam me into buying motor mounts and labor, etc. ~ $500+ and there was NOTHING wrong with the motor mounts. The shop looks crappy and seriously disorganized.

I did have DPS do my head gaskets, and it was good. A little slow, but I may have had a higher standard too. Did have a small issue with bad plugs after the repair, but I suspect that was the generic plugs used, not DPS. I should have also replaced the wires. They're labor rate was (maybe still is) cheaper than many ~$79/hr (I think) back in April

Century something in Germantown seem good. I was selling a car, and they check it out, and it had some issues, which they were up front about, and worked with me and the buyer. The buyer did the repairs (I wasn't gonna do it). It was a Dodge Neon that I had some mods on and drove the hell out of (I miss that car). Expensive, slow (they have tons of clients) and you car sits in a high crime spot, but they are upfront, open, tend to over estimate and underpromise. Not the typical experience.

Avoid: Winkler, Butler, Park Road, Fritzgerald, Criswell, Oursiman.

Be sure to check BBB, consumer affairs and other sites and agencies. Don't expect much though....this is Montgomery County...not much honesty in the auto business.

Remember too, I don't just blindly give my car to someone. I stay involved, check the progress and do many repairs myself. If you get advice, make sure it is from someone who will KNOW when they are getting the real deal and not being scammed. I see so many people around MoCo give advice on scamming garages, but they only know that they get great customer service, but yet they always seem to be going back for more and more repairs. I've often taken my (and others) cars in for a 'repair' estimate and then inspected the car myself...found nothing wrong, or in a few cases (Fitzgeral, Park Road) they actually damaged, or 'created' repair situations. In one case, caught one of the folks do a break job, but put on used rotors and break pads, not new ones.

EDIT: There was WAY MORE DISCUSSION on this post, and BAC5.2 rebuttal, but since there is obvious favor, I've no longer been given the chance to discuss, thereby rendering this thread null and pointless. Such a shame, and I hope the moderators apologize to the OP for taking away open advice away from this thread).

I disagree there. They tried to scam me into buying motor mounts and labor, etc. ~ $500+ and there was NOTHING wrong with the motor mounts. The shop looks crappy and seriously disorganized.

I did have DPS do my head gaskets, and it was good. A little slow, but I may have had a higher standard too. Did have a small issue with bad plugs after the repair, but I suspect that was the generic plugs used, not DPS. I should have also replaced the wires. They're labor rate was (maybe still is) cheaper than many ~$79/hr (I think) back in April

Century something in Germantown seem good. I was selling a car, and they check it out, and it had some issues, which they were up front about, and worked with me and the buyer. The buyer did the repairs (I wasn't gonna do it). It was a Dodge Neon that I had some mods on and drove the hell out of (I miss that car). Expensive, slow (they have tons of clients) and you car sits in a high crime spot, but they are upfront, open, tend to over estimate and underpromise. Not the typical experience.

Avoid: Winkler, Butler, Park Road, Fritzgerald, Criswell, Oursiman.

Be sure to check BBB, consumer affairs and other sites and agencies. Don't expect much though....this is Montgomery County...not much honesty in the auto business.

Remember too, I don't just blindly give my car to someone. I stay involved, check the progress and do many repairs myself. If you get advice, make sure it is from someone who will KNOW when they are getting the real deal and not being scammed. I see so many people around MoCo give advice on scamming garages, but they only know that they get great customer service, but yet they always seem to be going back for more and more repairs. I've often taken my (and others) cars in for a 'repair' estimate and then inspected the car myself...found nothing wrong, or in a few cases (Fitzgeral, Park Road) they actually damaged, or 'created' repair situations. In one case, caught one of the folks do a break job, but put on used rotors and break pads, not new ones.

You've got to be kidding, right?

A scam is selling you new motor mounts, but replacing them with used ones. A scam is quoting you $100, but charging you $1200 without consent. A scam is an email from a prince in Nigeria asking if he can wire USD$100M to your account so he can safely flee the country. An estimate for work, is an estimate for work. An estimate is a ball-park, and not set in stone. That's why it's called an estimate. If you don't like the estimate, call them expensive. Saying they tried to SCAM you, is pretty aggressive talk.

Andrew is 100% guilty of one thing, though. Going out of his way to help people out, even to his financial loss. His employees, however sarcastic the one up front might be, are the same way. Absolutely, without a doubt, the kindest and most honest people in the business. They'd give you the shirt off their back, if it would get you out of a tight spot.

There are some shops within a stones throw, that I wouldn't trust to fix a sandwich. Andrewtech, is easily one of the best shops on the east coast and I dare say in the country.... Which explains why cars are shipped from Texas to be worked on, and turbocharged Lotus Elise are driven down from upstate New York in the dead of winter. And why STi owners in Dubai and Russia ship transmissions halfway across the world to them.

No. I don't buy your story for a second.

And, as for getting advice "from someone who will KNOW when they are getting the real deal and not being scammed", I'm about as qualified as it gets.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That's right down the street from Andrewtech. Venture a little further into the Airpark, and you'll see some downright awesome happenings. The end of Cessna Ave, and down Queen Air are some pretty cool places.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Gentlemen and possible lady, everyone is entitled to their opinion and to catalogue their experiences, but let's keep this on-topic and not take it off on an exposé and rebuttal of personal auto shop "shopping" practices. The OP requested info on recommendations for reputable shops in the area, let's keep it to that.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It was on topic, did not break rules, and was a good discussion. If it isn't allowed to stand..than there is a ton of other threads and posts they need to be deleted and made "sunshine up the butt" cleansed.

What if the point of having a thread on a forum (which is designed for DISCUSSION).

Additionally...funny how the time can be taken to sanitize such a discussion, yet ZERO effort or follow through has been done on my REPEATED requests to fix/edit the titles & sticky of the memberlist threads, which I've maintained basically since I started here. Uggggg!

Good luck to the OP in finding a good shop if open discussion is not allowed.

Seriously, from my perspective, nothing was deleted that was value-added to the thread, nor was it "sanitized" so sunshine would shine where it wasn't supposed to shine. ;)

Rather, the discussion (lower case of course) had made a hard turn down a slope into the off-topic mud bogs, and when contributor tires lost traction, the over-revved mug-slinging that ensued made it a far-less "good" discussion. That's why the posts were deleted.

BTW - no requests that I'm aware of have been made to fix/edit title and stickies. I check the mod center quite often and have seen nothing to that effect. Links and rationale via PM are more than acceptable and much appreciated.

I reported the thread, posted in the thread requesting a sticky, looked and submitted to moderators via PM. What the hell else am I suppose to do....drive to your house and beg?

The discussion was about the trust worthness of what is recommended. How is that not directly related to a post about asking for a good mechanic. That is the direct point to asking about a good (or disputing good) mechanic. Sure BAC attacked my point of view and called me a liar, but that was an aside for the fact we were discussing the the merrits of one garage and how things are rated good or bad. I added discussion about how someone can look for themselves on a particular garage (the consumer affairs and BBB part), etc. It never got personal (well I didn't take it personally) and neither one of us called each other names, or got abusive about it. It was strong discussion, sure, but if you can't handle strong to the point discussion, you have no business on the internet. That is the point I'm making about 'sunshine up the butt' sanitization. If you dumb it down to all flower and unicorns for posts and threads, the point of having a forum for open discussion is destroyed.

It is absolutely no wonder why you haven't found a shop you like in MoCo.

And for the record, I never called you a liar. I said that I didn't believe a word you were saying. There is a distinct difference. Calling you a liar, is making a character judgement. Saying I don't believe something you said, is calling you on your bullshit. But, considering your affinity for blowing things out of proportion, it's par for the course that you'd make that jump too.

Grow up, kid.

I reported the thread, posted in the thread requesting a sticky, looked and submitted to moderators via PM. What the hell else am I suppose to do....drive to your house and beg?

Searched though the moderator queue, but didn't find anything about a sticky (or anything for that matter). Know I've not received a PM on any thread that you're referring to above.

Searched though the moderator queue, but didn't find anything about a sticky (or anything for that matter). Know I've not received a PM on any thread that you're referring to above.
Well, I reported it again. This seems to have been an issue before. I seem to remember going through this before. I think something is wrong. I am going to start a second account to see if that does it...because I'm never getting responses for anything. Even reported a post for flagarant hatred speach and nothing was done until someone else reported it. Besides...I've posted in the thread, I've brought it to your attention here, and still nothing.

Jason please SHHH as so I dont have to get another warning... K
Warning? What...you mean if I got a warning?

2nd accounts will trip the AE detector and you could very well have both accounts banned. See the community standards for more info.

And I still have no idea what it is you're referring to, let alone a link to the thread. Sorry, clairvoyance is not one of my strong suites.

Archived