LegacyGT.com

strange starting noise

my car runs and starts well. i just replaced the timing belts and power steering belt. so whenever i start my car and its cold (50 degrees f and below), i get a weird "ssshhhhhwwwishhh" sound. it goes away when the car is warmed up.

A lot of members have mentioned this strange sound, whirring, clicking and a variety of other strangities on cold startup. I believe it to be cold belts/condensation but am interested if anyone knows what it is FOR SURE.

I live in So Cal so the car is rarely started in weather before 50F.

My starter hang's on for a second or two when it's below freezing sometimes, but even at -20's I haven't noticed any different noises.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ya. It sounds like the battery. I'm in Austin so during the summer, the heat is murdering the batter, and when it gets cold like it is today, then your cranking power is dimenished BIGTIME.

stop me if I am wrong because I really do not know, but the OP said it goes away once the car is warmed up. I thought the cold cranking amps only mattered on start up, and once the car is started it wouldn't not take long for the alternator to pick up any slack the battery has seen due to the extreme hot/cold weather. ?????

There are many things involved that can make a noise during cold starts. And if you have a low emissions vehicle you have even more gadgets under the hood. Sometimes there is air injection into the exhaust system to take care of emissions during cold starts.

And when you do a cold start at freezing temp you usually also have to remove ice from the windows, so procedure is to start engine, take care of the ice/snow and then the engine has gotten at least warm enough to take care of some easy driving.

453747.png

From http://techinfo.subaru.com :

Quote:

Noise from Pressure Regulator Service Bulletin #09-41-05

Pages: 2

Bulletin Description: The purpose of this bulletin is to address noise that can occur when turning the ignition switch from the ýONý position, to the ýSTARTý position during engine cranking. When the ignition switch is turned on, the fuel pump begins to activate and pulsate. This noise may be audible. The pressure regulator was modified to prevent this pulsating noise. If you encounter a noisy pressure regulator, replace it with the modified one.

Actual TSB at http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4809 .

I've had it since day one and 35k miles later I haven't bothered bringing it up to the dealer since I don't want to mess with anything if it ain't broke.

From http://techinfo.subaru.com :

Quote:

Noise from Pressure Regulator Service Bulletin #09-41-05

Pages: 2

Bulletin Description: The purpose of this bulletin is to address noise that can occur when turning the ignition switch from the ýONý position, to the ýSTARTý position during engine cranking. When the ignition switch is turned on, the fuel pump begins to activate and pulsate. This noise may be audible. The pressure regulator was modified to prevent this pulsating noise. If you encounter a noisy pressure regulator, replace it with the modified one.

Actual TSB at http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4809 .

I've had it since day one and 35k miles later I haven't bothered bringing it up to the dealer since I don't want to mess with anything if it ain't broke.

This is my problem exactly. Haven't taken it in yet either. Funny we have the same mileage on our 2005's...

If you have a 2005, I would bet this is your problem.

my car runs and starts well. i just replaced the timing belts and power steering belt. so whenever i start my car and its cold (50 degrees f and below), i get a weird "ssshhhhhwwwishhh" sound. it goes away when the car is warmed up.

Is it more of a screeching noise like a mouse kind of? or more of a swishing sound? For the last year I have been getting a screeching noise during cold start ups. I have a feeling mine has something to do with the steering though. It also does it something when I have the wheel turned hard all the way in one direction. Mine might be a belt though or a bearing. Mine almost sounds like a bearing going bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get a swishing sound...but wow that starter is loud and amplified like it is in a plastic box.

Perhaps it is where the starter is located on this engine....it just sounds like it is in a woofer box that is made of plastic....odd sound.

• 8 months later...

I got the same thing. A loud, disturbing squeal that lasted but for 1 second.

Happened for the first time ever on a cool morning a day ago.

Once the car was warm and had been running, it did not occur again.

This has been discussed numerous times on other threads.

Could it be the starter turning over a bit longer than necessary?

• 2 months later...
Is it more of a screeching noise like a mouse kind of? or more of a swishing sound? For the last year I have been getting a screeching noise during cold start ups. I have a feeling mine has something to do with the steering though. It also does it something when I have the wheel turned hard all the way in one direction. Mine might be a belt though or a bearing. Mine almost sounds like a bearing going bad.

sorry to bring an old thread back, but at least i did search rather than start a new thread... But I am getting these symptoms as well... Any input or results from others with same issue?

it's the starter... leave it be until your car doesn't start one day...

Freak'n pansies in your 50 degree weather!... T-Shirt weather if the suns out!... -6F the other day, suppose to be -10F this weekend... last year my car started FINE and it was -20F one day... yes it makes a noise and it's scary, but move on. once the car is warmed up it's fine. So many possibilities... alt belt, PS belt, belt belt belt... starter... wrong oil weight no oil in the heads on startup, starter, etc etc etc etc... I feel it's the starter... whoever else had problems with belts will say it's a belt thing. who ever has blown there motor who had this noise the morning it happened will say the motors going to explode in a fiery death... in the end... you may never find the problem until your belt snaps or your starter dies or your alternator seizes or whatever. so forget it! sorta a rant response haha, but whatever... hope everyone who has this problem figures it out.

^ I'm with you...here in VT this weekend, like every winter weekend. Drove up in the snow storm today. 6" in the driveway when I left home. Starter made the noise on the first start today like most cold day's. Next time I start it will be Sunday night for the drive home. Lets see what she dose when the high temp on Sunday is 0F. I'm sure it will make the same noise, like last year and the year before that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
my car also makes the startup squeal. After replacing numerous belts on this car I took it to the dealer and they stated that the belts I had on were wron/stretched, and of course were not OEM belts so they recommended they install fresh OE belts. They did and the noise is still there but reduced. I've started the car and had a friend watch and it really seems that the clutch for the power steering pump is the issue. It locks up briefly causing the belt squeal. I will say that my car was beginning to squeal when turning the steering wheel at times other than startup, and since the dealer installed the belts this has gone away but the startup sqqueal still occurs. I believe the issue is the clutch locking up causes the belt to drag momentarily and squeal. Over time this leads to worn/stretched belts and the rapid replacement of the belts (typically mine have made it only 30-40K miles before they are cracked and have missing sections of rubber)

Archived