LegacyGT.com

Answer my KW V2 install questions...plz

Hey guys,

I finally got around to putting in my set of KW V2 coilovers, I had these on my 2005 legacy gt for 10,000 miles and they worked great. Now I have a 2006 Spec B, I switched the front top hats on the coilovers over to the Spec B ones. And proceeded with the install, everything went smooth.. besides three problems/questions I have.

-During the install of the top hats I seemed put a very small "nick" in one of the shafts trying to hold it still while toqureing the hats down. I can barley catch it with my finger nail, but still I know this is really bad, just wondering how f*$ked I really am?

-I noticed that there is a lot more of the threaded shaft sticking out above the top hat. Is this normal for this set up? (pics below)

- Also the top hats don’t seem to be centered in the strut towers? I marked the top hats as to how they came out, and put them in the same way(pics below).. Any ideas?

Thanks

-Kevin

100_7786.thumb.jpg.a628d16c2b223d43e5c80762a3aaa0f6.jpg

100_7787.thumb.jpg.c9e30a36577fc68faf0df410b575a478.jpg

100_7788.thumb.jpg.e362fa26769d355d8caebf0b17e1ed92.jpg

100_7789.thumb.jpg.8689c57f76b0aeabbfb9f0e5f39d68ea.jpg

I think you may need to take out the conical washer/spacer that sits on top of the coilover to fix the centering issue. I didn't install mine, but I distinctly remember having this conversation with the technician that did, and he told me that he had to take it out. I used to have mine on regular LGT tophats as well, but also without the washer, and nothing changed with spec B tophats. As others have mentioned, they will definitely be higher on spec B tophats, I would estimate at least 13 mm, so you probably want to adjust for the height difference. Although if you lose the washer you'll probably lose some height anyway... Hope this helps.

I think you may need to take out the conical washer/spacer that sits on top of the coilover to fix the centering issue. I didn't install mine, but I distinctly remember having this conversation with the technician that did, and he told me that he had to take it out. I used to have mine on regular LGT tophats as well, but also without the washer, and nothing changed with spec B tophats. As others have mentioned, they will definitely be higher on spec B tophats, I would estimate at least 13 mm, so you probably want to adjust for the height difference. Although if you lose the washer you'll probably lose some height anyway... Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response,

I gave racecomp a call before the install and asked that same question, they reccomened to take the "cone" washer out, and that is what I did.

Archived