LegacyGT.com

Fuel smell when its cold out on a Forester

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I have a co worker that has a 03 Forester that he says when its cold out he gets a fuel smell . I know there is a tsb on Impreza's for this, but according to SUbie customer assistance his is the first Forester to have this complaint. Just wondering if there are any others out there?

Funny, my wife's 02 Forester started the same issue this winter. I found some fuel weeping out from the rubber-to-hard line connection toward the front passenger side of the engine. The amount of fuel was maybe a drip or two, but it would smell up the cabin pretty good if the wind was just right.

What was the TSB on the Impreza's? I haven't tackled the issue yet, since it is warmer now and not weeping. I do, however, want to fix it soon.

My wife's '02 NA Outback has had the same issue two different winters (the most recent being the current season). It happens when it gets below zero for awhile. The dealer just tightens up the clamps and it goes away. I don't feel like doing it myself when zero (F) is the high for the day. Crappy clamps?
It is still ugly.

A couple of threads from NASIOC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444360&highlight=fuel+tsb

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131755

Apparently there is a small section of rubber line between the two fuel rails that when it gets cold out shrinks which unseats where the clamp sits causing a leak. THey replace the fuel rails and the section of rubber line to make it more in line or something along those lines. Since it has been above freezing around here lately they told my co worker that they were unable to duplicate the problem.

Also I found out my co workers Forester is a an 02 not an 03 and the tsb# is PE04-002 or 09-36-03. It came out 4/1/03.

The tech told me there are a "few" of these flexible lines on the engine but both times the one that leaked was on the right hand side, up on top at the front of the engine. If I remember, I am going to replace all these effin cheap OEM clamps with something else when it warms up...probably on both cars (the '05 hasn't had this issue...yet).
It is still ugly.

• 1 month later...

I have an '02 Outback Sedan. Beginning this winter I too had been smelling fuel on occasion however unlike everyone else so far,I have smelled this on warm days, 70s+ but not as often. Not noticing any changes in my gas mileage.

Tightened the clamps and went a couple of months without the odor but obviously wasn't a permanent fix. Waiting to hear a repeated successful fix story.

Archived