LegacyGT.com

Windows are now being scratched by something inside door?

faded1004

has anyone had this and fixed the problem? had my car tinted for like 3 years and just last month it finally started to scratch.

inside is scratching.

the point is right above the pull handle and only the top 70% is scratching. i dont' think anything happened against the door. and it might be a one time thing?

i was kinda planning on installing some speakers this weekend and taking the panels off.

not sure if anyone knows of this so i can buy parts or something before i start pulling the panels off and save alittle time.

i saw some people on wrx change "window pads"? curious if anyone here has any input?

IMG_0855.thumb.JPG.0b4b7efb287557e9a386522ee15c27bf.JPG

IMG_0856.thumb.JPG.f9bb4dd9b2502c68696fac3c679493be.JPG

Are you sure it's on the inside? On the older Imprezas, there are some alignment pads inside the door at the edge of the window glass that press against the outside of the window - with time they pick up dirt and eventually start to scratch the glass in a region about an inch wide in the middle of the window.

Got the same problem on mine (MY05) ever since I've bought it 2 years ago, never really bothered to work it out.

For what it's worth, even my friend's brand new FR-S ran into this problem and he got it repaired under warranty. As said above, it was something regarding the alignment pads due to the fact that we have frameless door window if I remember correctly.

Check the belt trim (fuzzy stuff), the alignment pads, and any of the hardware in the window. My car's rear windows are scratched to hell from dirt on the belt trim. I presume from mountain bike or something on the roof rack with the previous owner. It actually made me decide against getting tint because it would just look dumb.

If you made a DA mistake like me when installing aftermarket speakers and used a supplied sheet metal screw, you'd find it likely could be the tip of the screw was *just* long enough to scratch the window.

Are you sure it's on the inside? On the older Imprezas, there are some alignment pads inside the door at the edge of the window glass that press against the outside of the window - with time they pick up dirt and eventually start to scratch the glass in a region about an inch wide in the middle of the window.

Mine has the same thing. Bugs the shit out of me

Mine was scratching the outside of the driver's side window. If you can take the door pad off the felt is pretty easy to replace. Took me maybe 30 minutes to repair and readjust the pad/guides. On mine, the felt wore away and it was actually the metal backing that was scratching the glass.

Wow, it looks like a big, red rubber band!

hahaha, yea, that was my attempt at showing where the scratch is...

yes, it is just the tint that is all of a sudden being scratched. it only looks like 1 really bad scratch too.

Check the belt trim (fuzzy stuff), the alignment pads, and any of the hardware in the window. My car's rear windows are scratched to hell from dirt on the belt trim. I presume from mountain bike or something on the roof rack with the previous owner. It actually made me decide against getting tint because it would just look dumb.

i will check those... yea... enjoyed tint for a while then this...

If you made a DA mistake like me when installing aftermarket speakers and used a supplied sheet metal screw, you'd find it likely could be the tip of the screw was *just* long enough to scratch the window.

no aftermarket speakers yet... gonna try to install this weekend. going infinity satellites.

Mine has the same thing. Bugs the shit out of me

all i can think about is getting the tint removed and put it on again... i hate seeing the line...

Mine was scratching the outside of the driver's side window. If you can take the door pad off the felt is pretty easy to replace. Took me maybe 30 minutes to repair and readjust the pad/guides. On mine, the felt wore away and it was actually the metal backing that was scratching the glass.

oh man, i wonder is there is a dealer part for the pads?

i just took apart the door... dude, i think you have to take the glass out to get to those pads... omg... so close, yet so far... the inside pad #2 is the bad one. still has fuzzies, but somehow, there must be a sharp point somewhere.

so i just sound deadened the panel and i will get to it soon.

i am going to go to dealer with that part number and i will try to replace it next time. thanks compsurge!

i am making my speaker spacers right now. they should finish tomorrow morning.

20150521_185221.thumb.jpg.985dea669659b9a87cd508c030fc259c.jpg

okay, i ordered 1 part to see if i can get it in the door with out taking the glass off. and also to make sure that is the right part.

61256ag000 - special order so i will have to wait.

i will report back on how it installs. if i can get it in easy.

You do not have to take the glass out. If you loosen up all the pad/guides the glass has enough free play to get all the pads out.

Just gotta make sure you readjust them all correctly when you put it back together.

FWIW you can just epoxy some new felt (or anything else that's soft enough) to the existing guides. No real need to order a whole new part.

You do not have to take the glass out. If you loosen up all the pad/guides the glass has enough free play to get all the pads out.

Just gotta make sure you readjust them all correctly when you put it back together.

FWIW you can just epoxy some new felt (or anything else that's soft enough) to the existing guides. No real need to order a whole new part.

yea, i saw that... but since i only needed one, i just ordered it. it is here, and i am going to pick up from dealer today. i am hoping to get it in this weekend. i will report back on how i got it in. if i can get it in...

update, dealer ship ordered the outside pads instead of the inside pads... gonna have to wait another week to get the parts in.

• 1 month later...
yea, i saw that... but since i only needed one, i just ordered it. it is here, and i am going to pick up from dealer today. i am hoping to get it in this weekend. i will report back on how i got it in. if i can get it in...

update, dealer ship ordered the outside pads instead of the inside pads... gonna have to wait another week to get the parts in.

Any updates? I am beginning to have the same issue but mine is just a rattle again.

Archived