LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

...I'm still leaning towards a Swift/RCE Bilstein suspension combo, but I noticed that Fortune Auto's 500/510 Series coilovers appear to be available now (according to their website and response to an e-mail I received). Has anyone had an chance to try these out yet or perhaps even ordered them already? Thanks.

Well they look pretty that's for sure, price seems to be about right ao.I'm going to search more for reviews on how people enjoy them or not. Come the time my stock ride weakens with the tein s.techs ill keep.these in mind compard to the bc coils.

the fortunes rule. just do it. they are, imo, one of the best entry coilovers in existence.

do not go with 510s. just get the 500s with swift spring upgrade and it's about 90% of the 510s. I can start a group buy through 7l Autosport if some people would like. I would need to talk to those guys and get some pricing and numbers. This would fit all 5th gen models.

i am not yet. i had to put my order on hold. I have a deposit with 7L, but got laid off. they have my deposit and are holding my order. I do have MANY friends that have them on their cars. some of these cars I ride in weekly.

The ride quality with the stock fortune springs leave something to be desired. It's very bumpy and what I can describe as "peaky". The swift spring upgrade is necessary and proper. I have driven them during an auto-x and they perform beautifully. I also took a 5ish hour trip to mammoth mountain in a car that was running 500s with swifts. firm and comfortable for the whole ride. also took the same ride in the same car weeks earlier when there were bc coilovers on it. harsher ride and much more peaky than the fortunes w/o swifts.

It's all about dampening with coilovers. the digressive dampening makes for a much smoother ride throughout the travel. ditch the non linear fortune springs for truly linear swifts and the comfort and performance levels increase dramatically.

The value in these coilovers is amazing.

• 1 month later...

And the Swift spring upgrade you guys are talking about isn't the same as the standard Swift Sport springs that I currently have on my 3.6R are they? Swift springs designed for these Coil Over kits, right?

I haven't been around in a long time, work, life and cameras have been consuming my spare time. But this is interesting. Glad to see others finally making stuff for our cars!

And the Swift spring upgrade you guys are talking about isn't the same as the standard Swift Sport springs that I currently have on my 3.6R are they? Swift springs designed for these Coil Over kits, right?

I haven't been around in a long time, work, life and cameras have been consuming my spare time. But this is interesting. Glad to see others finally making stuff for our cars!

I have swift springs, but the ones I was talking about is the upgrade springs that goes with on the BC coilovers. I already got quoted for about $1190 shipped (that's the price with the swift springs installed/they can also do custom rates). This is the BC 53mm monotube coilovers with F/R pillowball mounts, 30 way adjustable with front camber adj. I think BC is good enough, they also manufacture for HKS, greddy and other well known brands. Sure if you have another $1200 to spend KW V3 would be nice even thou it does not come with pillowball mounts and you'd have to pay more to upgrade the springs, but for $1190 I think that's quite affordable for those who want a complete upgrade.

blklgt05, where did you get the quote on bc coilovers with swift spring upgrade? I was thinking about just getting a quote on fotune auto 500 coilovers. Thanks

http://www.importimageracing.com/bc-racing-br-series-coilover-kit-for-10-12-subaru-legacy.html

On the right you have option to add Swifts. Talk to Josh and ask him if you can get $150 off if you order the coilovers w/ swift springs ;).

Thanks for replying, blklgt05 .I'm still trying to decide between fortune auto 500 w/out swift spring for about $1149 and bc coilover with swift spring upgrade for $1190 shipped like you mentioned. I guess I keep reading some more reviews about these two brand.

Thanks for replying, blklgt05 .I'm still trying to decide between fortune auto 500 w/out swift spring for about $1149 and bc coilover with swift spring upgrade for $1190 shipped like you mentioned. I guess I keep reading some more reviews about these two brand.

You'll find a ton of reviews on the BCs both in the 4gen section and nasioc, there's a lot of people running them.

I'll probably be getting it around end of the year, if you did it by then we can meet up and compare the differences. It is nice to have more options for the 5 gens that's for sure.

i will be getting them much before the end of the year so we can meet up. i love going down to sd and partying in the gaslamp quarter.

for those on the fence about the swift spring upgrade, there is no comparison. The stock springs on all these entry level coilovers are horrendous. they give a harsh, jarring ride due to the progressiveness of the rate. a shop out here was going to destroy a set of fortune springs to test the progressiveness of the spring and what the actual usable rate is. they are expecting it to be extremely high as the spring is compressed. The Swifts are linear and therefore you get a much smoother and less jarring ride. the rate stays the same throughout the entire spring travel. the spring could be 90% compressed and the rate will still be, say, 7k.

i will be getting them much before the end of the year so we can meet up. i love going down to sd and partying in the gaslamp quarter.

for those on the fence about the swift spring upgrade, there is no comparison. The stock springs on all these entry level coilovers are horrendous. they give a harsh, jarring ride due to the progressiveness of the rate. a shop out here was going to destroy a set of fortune springs to test the progressiveness of the spring and what the actual usable rate is. they are expecting it to be extremely high as the spring is compressed. The Swifts are linear and therefore you get a much smoother and less jarring ride. the rate stays the same throughout the entire spring travel. the spring could be 90% compressed and the rate will still be, say, 7k.

Yeah, I was at Swift's office/shop here in socal and they showed me the spring dyno of every competitor that you can imagine. Only Swift's material+design gets you the consistent rate throughout the entire spring compression, every other brand's rates is all over the place when compressed.

I currently have a bunch of other mods I'm working on, after that I got 3 more project/mods I wanna do before getting coilovers. But my schedule is to get coilovers before the end of this year so I could really start to enjoy the car. I come back from SD to LA area every weekend so when I get it I'll hit you up.