LegacyGT.com

settings on 05 OEM subwoofer

rayeve

I'm installing an OEM subwoofer in my wife's 05 Legacy. I note that the OEM subwoofer has two configurable settings on it. One is the crossover, and I think(?) the other said "gain." (The car is not here just now, so I can't check the wording). Does anyone have any suggestions for how far I should turn these up as initial settings? (I.e., the settings most likely to please the average listener)?

Thanks!

Hey ray. I haven't seen many gains above noon on the dial. Half way up. Shouldn't have to pass that spot. Start at 10 o'clock and try 11. Should be good around that. Now if your amp allows you to bypass the eq( if it has one on it) which is direct power, that will be fuller cleaner power. Switch it to direct and enjoy

Set the crossover first. If it gives your any sort of reference, shoot for something like 80-125 Hz. This controls how high the sub will play (e.g. if you set it at 125 Hz, it won't play above that setting).

For the gain, start with the gain at 0, play a song, and turn your radio volume as high as you think you'll ever listen to it (maybe around 25?). Slowly turn the gain up until you hear distortion out of the sub, and then back it off a little to get rid of the distortion. If that's too loud for you, you can set it anywhere below that point.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• 3 months later...

bumping this up for more feedback on the optimal setting for the OEM sub. The LGT was with my mechanic getting the passenger side valve cover gasket and power steering pump replaced, and I had him install an OEM sub that I had laying around.

Totally stock 05 sound system. He said the sub is set for now at the "middle" position for each adjustment, and am just curious what other people think is the optimal setting?

Also.. what kind of tool could I use to adjust the setting with the seat bolted down? I need to look at it tomorrow in the daylight (and the answer could be very obvious), but looks like it will be interesting getting to the knobs with the seat in place.

Looked at it in the daylight and it looks like it would be easy to stick a Phillips head bit in to adjust the knobs with the seat scooted in all the way forward.

I do not have a crossover dial, just a "high cut" and "gain" adjustment. Pretty happy with the sound with both knobs set at noon. Still looking for more feedback on how others have theirs adjusted.

High cut is another name for low-pass filter. Crossover is just a term applied to a variable pass filter of any type (low, high, or band).

So that one dial is your crossover.

Another note: Dbl_D178's advice is good, but his approach is going for safe maximum.

In that case you should set the bass on the HU to max first as well, raise the volume until you hear distortion in your stock speakers, back the volume off, then turn up the gain to mild distortion and back off the gain.

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

High cut is another name for low-pass filter. Crossover is just a term applied to a variable pass filter of any type (low, high, or band).

So that one dial is your crossover.

Another note: Dbl_D178's advice is good, but his approach is going for safe maximum.

In that case you should set the bass on the HU to max first as well, raise the volume until you hear distortion in your stock speakers, back the volume off, then turn up the gain to mild distortion and back off the gain.

Thanks for the input. I have always run my factory HU at +4 bass, +5 mid, and +6 treble.

Just want to figure out how to get the best clean sound out of this thing. Main genres are reggae, rap, and rock.

• 8 months later...
Does anyone know where the crossover points are on the sub woofer dial? Or what the crossover range is? Mine just has dots. E.g. Trying to figure out WHERE on the dial is 80HZ, 125HZ, etc. I'm assuming all the way left is the lowest, but I'm not sure what the range is.

• 11 months later...

So I just purchased a used sub and there is no (zero, none) sound coming from it. The harness has 3 plugs and ground so that should be hooked up correctly. If blown, the sub would sound like hell correct? Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is adding the factory sub worth the money/time? Does it make a big difference in sound quality? A friend of mine and fellow Subaru owner recommended I replace the head unit, however, I'd like to avoid doing that, overall I'm ok with how it sounds. Would replacing the factory speakers and adding the sub do any good or would I be wasting my time keeping the factory head unit?

Archived