LegacyGT.com

AWD Whine.

Ok, Since my other post was more about tires, i thought I would start a separate one to discuss my AWD Whine problem. Here are the facts, I recently fixed the AWD by removing a dime from the transfer control valve port (don't ask, i have no idea why it was there). I had a shop change an inner tie-rod and axle, and align my tires a couple days later. a few days after that, my transmission began to whine disturbingly while driving.

It is clearly a final drive whine since it is neither engine rpm dependent or transmission gear dependent. I put a fuse in the FWD fuse holder and the whine stopped immediately. I know one of my front tires is pretty badly worn, especially on the inside. I had assumed the worn tire was causing the AWD to engage and bind up while driving but someone in the other thread suggested that it wasn't a problem with the tires. the only other thing i can think of is the output shaft bearing, but that shouldn't be under stress under normal driving should it? since deactivating the AWD cures the whine it is safe to assume the whine is caused by the AWD engaging is it not? and as far as I know in a 0% slippage situation the AWD should not be engaged. can anyone help me out here?

Maybe the dime was there for a reason...
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

it was in the port between the TCV and the rear extension housing. I would think if the dime was to stop the whine, it would have returned immediately after removal, not a few days later, no? I really don't want to dig into the transfer section again, but if I have to i guess i will. I may just replace the housing since one of the trans mount holes I had to try to repair with a Save-a-thread and another I suspect is stripped. any Phase 2 extension housing should fit, right?

what is the TCV?

but i think you are right, if it caused the whine it would have done it right away. how long after removal did the noise begin?

regarding the rear extension housing, if your trans has a screw on filter on the driver? side then yes, the phase 2 extension housing should work. if yours does not have a screw on filter i would stick with an earlier, 95 - 98 housing. but the truth of the matter is that i am not familiar with the details of the phase 2 trans.

TCV=Transfer Control Valve and yeah, it is a Phase 2, Phase 1 has the TCV mounted to the cover whereas the Phase 2 has the TCV on the transmission side. the whine was at least 2-3 days after. I really hope it was just tires like i said, but at this point I have been in the back of this transmission enough i can probably swap rear covers in about 30min. I am definitely gonna keep an eye out for a cheap manual parts car to swap though. I am about fed up with this trans.

Archived