LegacyGT.com

New to manual, want an AP - should I wait?

Hey all,

I've had my 06 LGT Manual now for about 500 miles (620 total) and I want to get an AP (and some other accessories).

The question I have is should I wait to install the AP until I become a better manual driver? This is my first stick, and while I hardly ever stall it - I don't feel like I'm at the point where I want the AP to learn my "amatuer" driving habits. Should I wait until I have the stick thing down 100%?

Thanks,

Jim

I'd imagine you could always just reflash at any point to clear the map and return it to it's base installed settings. Any "learning" would happen at the ECU, not within your AP. The maps are just a set of instructions and settings for the ECU to work off of.

As for being new to a manual. You picked a good car to learn on. The LGT is extremely easy to drive.

I'd imagine you could always just reflash at any point to clear the map and return it to it's base installed settings. Any "learning" would happen at the ECU, not within your AP. The maps are just a set of instructions and settings for the ECU to work off of.

As for being new to a manual. You picked a good car to learn on. The LGT is extremely easy to drive.

thats what I was thinking I could do....oh heck, I'll just order it :icon_mrgr

oh there is a reverse issue? I thought that was just me not being used to the slushy feeling stick (definetly getting a short throw shifter when I can).

most cars have a stinky clutch if you're slipping them under hard acceleration. I've never understood why people on some of the subaru forums complain so much about it. I always took it as a good sign of the performance available in my WRX.

it's hard getting into reverse sometimes...gotta play with it a bit by either moving forward a foot or two, shifting into another gear before going into reverse, and/or letting the clutch out before going into reverse.

I went straight from stock to having stage 2 protune by TDC, and if anything the engine management made the car easier to drive. When i was road testing it with Jon (from TDC) i commented on how smooth it felt compared to stock and he said the reason he uses those base maps is because of there smootheness. If i had some advice i'd see about getting the AP from TDC with their stage I map as it will probably make your overall driving experience much smoother. Congrats on getting the LGT. I too learned how to drive stick in my LGT and i'd say it took me no more than 2 weeks till i was confident driving it in any situation (starting up big hills etc.). The learning curve is so fast you'll probably be able to whip it by the time your AP comes!

it's hard getting into reverse sometimes...gotta play with it a bit by either moving forward a foot or two, shifting into another gear before going into reverse, and/or letting the clutch out before going into reverse.

ok, i do think this happend to me once, but I thought it was just something I did wrong. :icon_wink

Thanks for the advice everyone!

oh yea, and don't forget about the clutch stink and getting into reverse issues. :p

clutch stink...happens on all MT's, especially those with newbs behind the wheel (i kno from personal experience)

reverse issues...happens on all MT's, just a question of getting the synchros lined up

If you are interested in an AP and a protune map PM me and we will set you up! It will actually be easier to drive after our map is on there. No studder, hesitations etc.

Joe

PM Me for all your Modification Needs!

While I don't have Stage 1 on the OBXT, in theory it should make the car easier to drive for a relative newcomer to manual trannies due to the broader torque curve and availability of torque at lower RPMs. Coming from an auto, most folks don't realize the importance of rev matching with a manual. More "accessable" torque helps the learning curve.

AP = AccessPort from Cobb Tuning. Essentially, a portable handheld device that allows one to change the Engine Control Unit (ECU) programming to customize the engine response to your particular needs.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

clutch stink...happens on all MT's, especially those with newbs behind the wheel (i kno from personal experience)

reverse issues...happens on all MT's, just a question of getting the synchros lined up

i'm pretty sure reverse doesn't use a synchro. so that could be part of it. most reverse gears are straight cut gears which is why they make that odd noise.

i'm pretty sure reverse doesn't use a synchro. so that could be part of it. most reverse gears are straight cut gears which is why they make that odd noise.

while "synchros" may not have been the correct term...i just meant that it's common:)

while "synchros" may not have been the correct term...i just meant that it's common:)

yeah, either way, you still have to let the gears line up as they may to get a good shift into reverse, synchro'd or not. :icon_cool

If you are interested in an AP and a protune map PM me and we will set you up! It will actually be easier to drive after our map is on there. No studder, hesitations etc.

Joe

You and I PMd extensively about it right before the holidays. I'm just waiting for my credit card cycle to come through so i can get it on a fresh 30 days. You have the 06 LGT Manual unit in stock? I'm going to order it next week. Also, do you still have the deal on Protune?

Oh yes I remember. Sorry, I get like 50 PMs a day.

PM me when you are ready and I will hook ya up and get you going. I believe we have the 06 MT on the shelf. We are running through AP's like water. But I know we have some stock still.

Let me know

PM Me for all your Modification Needs!

Oh yes I remember. Sorry, I get like 50 PMs a day.

PM me when you are ready and I will hook ya up and get you going. I believe we have the 06 MT on the shelf. We are running through AP's like water. But I know we have some stock still.

Let me know

no worries, I figured as much. I'll get that order in on Monday sometime.

Archived