LegacyGT.com

I have an 08 LGT limited and recently my auto climate control has been cycling the ac on and off randomly. I was driving back from NYC yesterday and I kept having problems getting the AC to turn on. I had to turn the AC control system off and on until the AC would come on. The ac would stay on for a few minutes then turn off. I don't know if the problem is in the head unit or if the compressor isn't receiving the signal to engage the clutch properly. If anyone has had the same problem or has any advice it would be appreciated.

^ If the system does not have enough freon in the system the compressor clutch will not engage. Could be borderline operating pressure.

R134, not freon. Different refrigerants :)

But he's right. Sounds like ya need a recharge.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

I just checked the pressures and they are fine. When I can get the clutch to engage the air is really cold the problem is getting it to engage. I was just messing with it and got the clutch to engage let it run seeing if it would shut off and retook the pressures. It was working fine until I turned it off using the controls on the climate control. I tried to get it to turn back on and couldn't. Do any of you know how to troubleshoot an electrical signal fault. I'm pretty sure the compressor is good and the deck seems ok. I just checked to ensure the connections at the back of the radio deck were properly plugged in.

There is also the pressure switch it could be faulty as it needs a rise of pressure to engage once its running its fine.

If you have data logging cable you can see if that input is functioning.

Other Than that if the engine is running rough the ac won't engage.

Also if the temperature of the evaporator is below about 36 deg f

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Does anyone know how to fix/trouble shoot the clutch/electromagnet. I'm technically under warranty for another 1500 miles but I installed a Sub and am worried that the dealer will blame it on the head unit being messed with. Also I'm not sure if the ac system is covered by the warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had similar problems with an intermittent AC. I thought it was going to be the worn compressor clutch that others (including Technation) have mentioned, but tapping it didn't engage it properly. I also tried wiggling the clutch wires, to no avail.

Longer story short, I found that my compressor clutch relay was not making adequate contact, so when I rocked it back and forth, the clutch would engage/disengage. I was going to replace it, but for $20 (Autozone) and having to wait for them to order/receive it, I figured I'd just try testing it first. The relay seemed fine, and just cleaning and bending the tabs slightly seems to have resolved the issue (or maybe cycling it with 12V cleaned it up or something?) Either way, it's fixed now.

I only mention this as another point to troubleshoot... and a potential cheap way to "fix" the problem!

Thanks for all the help. I'm pretty sure it is something to do with the electromagnet or relay but I took it to the dealer and shes still under warrenty. They said that the problem is in the compressor though they didnt bother to figure out what exactly was wrong. I take it in tomorrow for them to fix at no cost to myself.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently had similar problems with an intermittent AC. I thought it was going to be the worn compressor clutch that others (including Technation) have mentioned, but tapping it didn't engage it properly. I also tried wiggling the clutch wires, to no avail.

Longer story short, I found that my compressor clutch relay was not making adequate contact, so when I rocked it back and forth, the clutch would engage/disengage. I was going to replace it, but for $20 (Autozone) and having to wait for them to order/receive it, I figured I'd just try testing it first. The relay seemed fine, and just cleaning and bending the tabs slightly seems to have resolved the issue (or maybe cycling it with 12V cleaned it up or something?) Either way, it's fixed now.

I only mention this as another point to troubleshoot... and a potential cheap way to "fix" the problem!

Can you take a picture and show me exactly where this is?

• 3 weeks later...

X2 on the pictures please.

Just started having a problem this week where the AC would blow warm air even though it was cranked down to 65. I shut the car off and restarted it and the AC blew cold air for about 5 minutes and then it was back to warm.

Car is an early 2005 LGT Wagon LTD that I bought brand new back in August of 2004. Its only got about 72K miles, but its starting to nickel and dime me to death. Last fall I dropped around $600 for a tune up, in May I dropped around $1200 for new control arm bushings and belts (there may have been something else too but I can't remember), and last week I dropped another $1200 for new calipers, rotors, and pads for the front brakes. This was the 3rd or 4th time the brakes were done (though the first time for the calipers). All work was done by the dealer.

^ so sell it to me :)

the relay is in the fuse box next to the battery. i believe its in the triangular section . it should be labeled on the underside of fuse box cover.

swap it for another relay .. they are all the same

Yea if any of you get the r12a from Walmart or most auto parts places its propane!

AGAIN WITH THIS SHIT??????????????

NO ONE IS SELLING PROPANE AS REFRIGERANT.

Just because a few <coughidiotscough> are putting into their A/C systems does NOT mean that ANYONE is selling propane as refrigerant. I thought we already had this discussion.

^ lol

yes because i made this can ...

look in the middle of the 3rd picture.

" petroleum gasses liquefied "

do i also need a video of me walking into a walmart walking to the auto crap isle, then picking up and reading the can?

IMG_3479.thumb.jpg.0f1f0350dfcb5d1f01bbec2cb8ff5a1d.jpg

IMG_3480.thumb.jpg.9ce1bd2ede1d530478fdb48072d15083.jpg

IMG_3481.thumb.jpg.44c7021a41c3c998b206c87061850560.jpg

106 degrees outside.....

Small evaporator core leak.......

BOOM BOOM.....................

OUT GO THE LIGHTS ! ! ! ! !

lol ok yes because my car explodes every day .. :wub:

and fyi the auto ignition temperature of propane is 540 deg c that's about 800 f.

^ lol

yes because i made this can ...

You are WAYYYYY too smart to be suckered into this thinking. All of the things you've done and you let yourself believe that the refrigerant being sold is actually propane? Believe me, it's not. I can hook you up with several marketing guys from Tech Chemical/Johnson and DuPont that I know personally that will tell you the truth.

Archived