LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

I need a new radiator for the Fozz. Koyorad, Mishimoto standard, or Mishimoto X-Line? Opinions please.

I heard from the Honda guys there having problems with there Mishimoto radiators. Just bad craftsmanship can't remember if it was the welds or the fins. Not sure about Koyo but do some research first.

I'm running a full core Fluidyne in my Acura since 2004 to this day.

I emailed Subaru to see what there going to do with the wheel to see if they can warranty it or pay for the repair. I bought back in November. I'm thinking the wheel has porous spot because there is nothing to replace because I replaced everything with brand new OEM parts and still leak 4-6lbs in 1 week. I'm thinking my old wheel did the same thing. I may just slap a weld on those spots on my old wheel and see what happen.

Edited by amusa

Another member wanting to get an undercarriage shot off the Ascent piqued my interest in the turbo and manifold design, being a twin scroll attached to a 2.4L engine, the manifold might bolt right into the 5th gen...just maybe the 5th gen options wont be so limited in the future.

Has anyone tried my 225/60 18 into our cars? The Outback has that size in 17s.

That makes more sense on the outback with the raised suspension, as it is the 60 series vs 45 series stock size will add 1.4" to the diameter. If it were a 17" wheel it would be a more conservative .8" over stock.

I am on 225/50-18 and I can't say I would recommend going any higher in the sidewall aspect ratio than that.

Yeah, I ran 225 50s for my winters in Mass. I have access to some pretty cheap yet nearly new decent winters that are 60. Not ideal, but the price is right. Oh well.
You can always be the first to blaze that trail, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You can always be the first to blaze that trail, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I actually talked to Discount Tire about it and they were uncomfortable mounting them.

Speaking of tires, I still need to decide on the size for my 19x9s too.

Yeah, I ran 225 50s for my winters in Mass. I have access to some pretty cheap yet nearly new decent winters that are 60. Not ideal, but the price is right. Oh well.
I'm gonna guess that they'll rub the front spring perches.

Strange....on Thursday the radiator on the Fozz popped and puked it's entire dinner up all over the engine compartment. Yesterday I picked up a used (with 24k miles on it) stock radiator from a local buddy from his Forester XT (replaced with Koyo when he built the motor). Earlier today I finished the radiator replacement and used new upper and lower radiator hoses, luckily the local parts store had both in stock. Everything is great and works perfectly.....no more leaks....including the water pump that was leaking. Dafuq? I guess what I was pretty certain was the water pump slowly leaking for the last several months must have actually been the lower radiator hose pissing on the top of the water pump and dripping down the back by the block onto the exhaust manifold. Cuz it's dry now....no drips at all. Sweet! Edited by GTEASER

Went to World of Wheels in KC yesterday. It was fun for the first half, then it was Camaro after Camaro...Mustang after Mustang.

There was one 2008 Legacy GT and one BRZ (it was part of the Fast 8 movie car display). I told the guys I was with that I should enter my car next year. It is more rare than most of the cars there. ;)

I made an appointment for my passenger air bag today. Because I had previously owned a 2012 2.5i and now I own 2012 2.5GT, it always seem to confuse the service people. So far I have confused the tire shop, Blackstone, and now the dealership. They always seem to ignore when I tell them I have a different 2012 Legacy, jump to conclusions that I still own the same 2012 Legacy. The dealership was saying I already did the air bag recall (apparently the new owner of my 2.5i had the airbag recall already done).

This week planning to inspect the old wheel very closely for any porosity and have it repair maybe spray it with layers of clear coat. Then install the original TPMS and re-mount the tire and balance. Then crossing fingers it will solve the issue. I can do the same for the new wheel that is already mounted on the Legacy

Still need to do a coolant circulating water pump and inspect a tire for a nail on the other vehicle.

So we're looking at buying a house.

tenor.gif

This is what I've gotten so far:

Save up a crap ton of money for a down payment.

Get pre-approved for amount I feel comfortable with.

Shop around for rates (seems a 30 year fixed rate might be best/safest)

My cousin works for a credit union so she's been a huge help in explaining all the details. Supposedly if you're considered low risk, some places will finance up to 85% of the purchase price without having you pay PMI.

We're trying to find a house that fits all of the above or close.

3 bedroom 1 1/2-2 baths. Garage. Gas heat. Central cooling would be nice. Also if it comes with appliances. Would save a ton of headache initially. Finding a lot out here in the $120k-$130k range.

Anyone wanna throw some advice at me, would be appreciated, haha.

This is what I've gotten so far:

Save up a crap ton of money for a down payment.

Get pre-approved for amount I feel comfortable with.

Shop around for rates (seems a 30 year fixed rate might be best/safest)

My cousin works for a credit union so she's been a huge help in explaining all the details. Supposedly if you're considered low risk, some places will finance up to 85% of the purchase price without having you pay PMI.

Fortunately you live an area where housing is much more affordable, so you don't have to save up as much for a down payment. Most towns around here, $400k gets you a starter home.

The pre-approval if you have good credit is to get.

Rates are not that hard to shop around for. Just go on the internet and you can figure out the going interest rates and which banks are competitive or not.

The shopping process for a house in my opinion is the most difficult.

Make sure you look over the house really well, one of my acquaintances bought a renovated house by contactor who buy houses in disrepair, 'fixes' and flips them. The house looked really nice in the pictures and good in person, but the contractor who did the work, cut corners and the house had major functional issues. The home inspector missed all the major issues.

Personally I bought an older house that looked good, was dated, but functional so I could move in. It probably wasn't the best choice, because it really need to eventually be completely updated and renovated. The problem is the renovated value of my house for my area I live in is not very cost effective for the money that it costs to renovate it. I think it was mistake to buy my house initially. For all the money I put into the house and the appreciation of the housing, I really did poorly compare to other housing in the area. When I 'bought' it the 2nd time (ie had it appraised for my divorce and I refinanced/cashed out to put it in my name), it was worth the price I paid :)

I too am house shopping for the first time but have some experience through consulting friends and family on home purchases. Other than what you already have make sure you check into first time home buyers grants/loans, if it's your first time buyer of course. There are many grants and options available to first time buyers where you can litterally pay nothing down and still not have to pay PMI. Also be sure to get on Zillow and get a list of homes you like before hitting up the realtors 99% of them will send you houses publicly listed so why waste time waiting on thier suggestions which will most likely be thier highest potential profit house first then when you go through all those and dent they get into the fair priced stuff, been playimg the realtors game for months now. Don't let them pressure you in anyway and if they aren't working hard for you find another one because any realtor can show you any house wether it's their listing or not. And last don't be afraid of foreclosures some lenders will help finance them as well, especially if the lender owns the foreclosure. We use a local credit union and they gave us a list of foreclosures they had and most of them were not listed for sale.

If you're not in a rush and don't already have a realtor, go it alone for a bit. If you end up in the situation I was in, no realtor and buying a place that's FSBO, that's a huge bargaining chip- if neither of you has a realtor, that's 6% of the sale price that stays in the seller's pocket, which means a potential $7500 price drop in your price range.

Something a co-worker told me that's probably worth considering, don't ever sign a buyer's contract with a realtor. If they're useless, you're stuck with them. Even if you find a place you like, if they won't show it to you, you can't buy it. That co-worker has gotten into that situation, found a place by himself, and put in an offer pretty much the day the contract expired.

Also, avoid PMI like the plague. 30-year fixed is a good plan, even if you can afford payments on a 15-year. Pay more than the minimum of you can, but if you end up out of work or something, you'll still be able to make the minimum.

If you're not in a rush and don't already have a realtor, go it alone for a bit. If you end up in the situation I was in, no realtor and buying a place that's FSBO, that's a huge bargaining chip- if neither of you has a realtor, that's 6% of the sale price that stays in the seller's pocket, which means a potential $7500 price drop in your price range.

When I bought and later sold my house in Massachusetts, my understanding of how commission worked was different. My understanding is that the commission is whatever the agreed commission is and it is split in half between the buying and selling agents. If there's only one agent involved, they get to keep the whole shebang. I don't think you're doing yourself any real favors to skip out on having a buying agent, particularly if you can find a good one invested in your interests. All it does it make it more difficult for you to find houses and get a better handle on comparable house prices while giving the selling agent more money in his/her pocket that will still be rolled into the house cost anyway.

Edited by Ellesedil

Lots of good advice.

Correct me of I'm wrong but you pay less interest if you pay towards your principal balance. Here's my thought.

There's ARM loans that offer really low rates, around 3.2-3.6%. They can only raise it a certain percentage every few years, depending which one you go for. Couldn't we go for say, a 5/5 ARM. Which means they raise or lower every 5 years, take advantage of the lower interest, pay down the principle and when it comes time for the rate to change, we could always refinance if we don't like it?

And yeah the housing in Ohio is really cheap because we pretty much live between two cities that are slowly becoming slums. A starter house here is about $80k. Hell if you really want you can go into the ghetto and get $40k starter houses, lol.

We're trying to avoid paying PMI.

It's a lot to take in. I've lived in enough homes to kinda know what to look for.

When I bought and later sold my house in Massachusetts, my understanding of how commission worked was different. My understanding is that the commission is whatever the agreed commission is and it is split in half between the buying and selling agents. If there's only one agent involved, they get to keep the whole shebang. I don't think you're doing yourself any real favors to skip out on having a buying agent, particularly if you can find a good one invested in your interests. All it does it make it more difficult for you to find houses and get a better handle on comparable house prices while giving the selling agent more money in his/her pocket that will still be rolled into the house cost anyway.

The seller that list their house with a realtor pays the agree upon commission between the buyer and sellers agent. If one didn't have a buyers agent the sellers agent would collect the entire amount. If the house is FSBO, then no realtors are used and no commission is paid. I think a buyer can have a real estate agent and buy a FSBO property with out the realtor. (You can always ask) In general most FSBO also go for less because they aren't advertised on MLS site, so they have less exposure and competition between buyers.