LegacyGT.com

Switching too synthetic......

I had originally leased my 09 Legacy 2.5i. i I have now purchased it and am switching to synthetic. I had a maintenance contract, and the dealership I work at uses standard Mobil 5w30. For synthetic, we have BG products. The BG rep suggested Hi Lo 30 synthetic. Wondering if anyone has any experience with BG products, or other suggestions. I will be putting on about 20 -30k miles per year on the car, so changes will be frequent.

SEARCH. Do the research first. Try bobistheoilguy.com. Just about everyone here swears by Pennzoil Platinum (or Ultra for the oil freaks) Just DONT use Mobil 1 or your car will explode. And then you'll certainly hear from RAO.

don't listen to Rao, he uses used vegetable oil from a chinese restaurant in his engine:lol:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Well, considering we do also use Mobil 1 in many cars at work, with fantastic results I might ad, I doubt my car will "explode" if I use it. Never have used Penzoil in the past, but after a quick glance over the data sheet for the Penzoil Ultra 5W30, it is now on my list. I have used Mobil 1 in the past (1995 Grand Prix - 245,000 miles), (1997 Legacy GT Wagon - 225,000 miles), so it's easy to go with something I know and trust. But, every car is different and I am just looking for what is best for my car.

Boxx,

these guys are just giving you a hard time. Switch to an inexpensive quality synthetic and run it with confidence.

However, the main benefit to synthetic is being able to run longer intervals. On your engine, I'd recommend 7500 miles to start when switching to a high quality synthetic. Higher is easily possible. The 2.5i engine is very gentle on oils.

i ran synthetic for a bit and found i was burning it off. tried over two oil changes with the same results. switched to castrol high mileage oil and it's been great.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I have read bad things about you.

:lol::spin::lol::spin:

I realize everyone has their own preferences when it comes to oil. I am always thankful for the input. As of right now, I am leaning towards the BG Hi-Lo 0W30. One of the other techs at work runs it in his 07 Mustang GT and likes it. Getting close to my 30K, so I will probably be going BG synthetic for the transmission then as well. Thanks again for the input. Now as far as my oil filter is concerned..................

I'm using pure one filters and I've never heard of this issue. Pureone filters I've always read and heard are some of the best. Where are you getting this information that they have cardboard inside that will clog the banjo bolt?

I'm using pure one filters and I've never heard of this issue. Pureone filters I've always read and heard are some of the best. Where are you getting this information that they have cardboard inside that will clog the banjo bolt?

I retract my statement about the Pure One filter, however after doing some reading I have found that due to its dense filter material it does not flow quite as well as OEM. Flow is definitely critical in our engines being the asphalt devouring monsters they are. Definitely stay away from Fram. Sorry for the confusion.

Anything but Fram or Pure One. The have cardboard insides from what I have been told that can disintegrate and clog your banjo bolt screen. I use Car Quest brand and have had no problems for 3 oil changes.

The "Banjo Bolt" only applies to the turbo models- the N/A ones don't have them.:)

It is well worth the extra few dollars to go with a quality oil filter. Most of the parts store branded filters (NAPA, Carquest) are actually made by WIX. They make an excellent quality filter with good flow. FRAM is popular, but is plainly an inferior product when compared to a WIX filter http://forums.focaljet.com/team-pit-stop/614803-great-cutaway-fram-vs-other-filter.html Otherwise, you can never go wrong with the OE Subaru filter, which is now made by Honeywell.

I have an LGT, but I have used Mobil 1 5w-30 fully synthetic and Fram TG6607 since I had 6,000 miles on the car. I am almost at 101,000 now, my fastest 1/4 mile time was this past summer at like 97,000 miles. I havent had any problems from the engine or my turbo. This year will be my fifth year of drag racing the LGT. Maybe I got one of the good first production LGT's? I bought mine early Nov, 2004. I have had some problems with it, but none of the problems involved the engine or the turbo.

Archived