LegacyGT.com

5EAT Rebuild by IPT

jerseyglock

Hi all,

Had my 5EAT rebuild by IPT and tuned by Jon (TDC). Price on the rebuild is $6k (still paying off, lol).

Per John at IPT, my clutch packs were gone. Long story short, I had TCU, valve body and Metal treatments - cryogenics, heat-treating and normalizing, Meta-lax stress relieving done to my 5EAT.

http://www.tdctuning.com/dynocharts/312whp.GIF

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/index.shtml

Mods:

Perrin TMIC, SPT intake, TD06-18G (Jon's old turbo), GT-spec header, UP, meth, PE850, fuel pump, Lachute catted DP, mid and Y-pipes. Oh, stock RE92s :)

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just curious but if you did not have the tranny rebuilt, could IPT do any of the other processes w/o completely tearing apart the tranny?

Also did they state how much hp/tq the tranny is now capable off?

What was there opinion on the strength of the tranny in the begin with?

And Finally how did you wreck your transmission?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really curious :)

I'm just curious but if you did not have the tranny rebuilt, could IPT do any of the other processes w/o completely tearing apart the tranny?

excellent questions.

I just got mine done as well. Still waiting for it to make it bck to cali. Its about a week late. I should have used my own shipper. To answer your question:

1. IPT does do other builds like valve body upgrade and torque converter upgrades.

2. They didn't state how much hp and torque I can handle, but it will be a lot. The level 10 trannies are supposed to handle 800hp and 1000tq. So I figure out that it should handle the same amount of power.

3. Too much hp and torque too early. The twin scroll setup peaks the max torque right when it shifts, so it was pull a lot of strain on the tranny; thus boiling the atf and frying the clutch packs. At the end, the torque converter started to go as well. YOU HAVE TO SWITCH TO SYNTHETIC ATF IF YOU ARE GOING TO MOD YOUR 5EAT... This will help reduce the atf temp. ALSO, ADD A TRANNY COOLER, LIKE THE HAYDEN 677... I recommend using bg synthetic atf.

4. Install a tranny temp gauge to make sure your atf stays under 200 degree as well.

Mods are as follow: vf37 twinscroll with p&p, clipped wheel, and pe1825 compressor wheel, JDM twinscroll headers, JDM twinscroll uppipe, Harman Motive modified 5eat Lachute dp, Perrin Midpipe, PE 850cc injectors, Perrin FMIC, Perrin Intake, ECUTEK...I'm sure there are more stuff that I can't remember.

Just found out my tranny got shipped to the wrong adress. Harman will be expecting an Mitsu tranny...damn shipping company.

I think I will get my tranny fluid switched to bg synthetic atf at 15k. (I currently have 12000, about 1,000 has been at stage 2). I've been looking around at tranny coolers (did you have one when when it blew up) I am waiting for the weather to cool down a little bit so I can install one. Is the hayden one of the best?

I've been thinking that a 20g with a lot less low end wtq, would be a lot nicer to our tranny's.

The tranny temp gauge sounds smart too.

6K....:eek:

Myself & Iamboon are in the process of a few tranny upgrades @ this time. Not anything close to 6k though, should be under 1k.

Jersey.....did you get a new tq converter also?

How is the shifting?

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

You guys might want to give John at IPT a call on all of these questions with Legacy 5EAT. Oh, talk to John in the shop.

My clutch packs went on my 5EAT. Rather just replace some or worn out parts, I decided to beef up internal parts, TCU and have valve body modify.

Prior to this dyno tune, I was on 282hp / 262tq. I felt my 5EAT slipping (5500rpm and higher) on my way home from TDC.

Then, all hell broke loose next day on my way to work. Like CEL and can't go faster than 60mph on highway.

I still need to bring my car back for final adjustments. My car wasn't running right when left IPT. It was tow to Precision and have running issue look at.

wukindada,

IPT modified my TCU to 3600rpm stall speed.

I can bring it back to IPT if I blow my 5EAT again (within the 1st year).

Hellooooo, clutch packs were down to metal to metal!

No, I don't power-brake launch at every god damn light. Just dyno runs, few drag strip runs and couple of parking alot launches.

So basically your tranny was slipping due to what exactly? I'm curious how many miles are on your block and why the tranny went so quick. Were you power-brake launching at every god damn light?

Hellooooo, clutch packs were down to metal to metal!

No, I don't power-brake launch at every god damn light. Just dyno runs, few drag strip runs and couple of parking alot launches.

jesus, that makes me appreciate my driving style a bit more. Well, I guess if the new setup is working, keep us informed.

I think I will get my tranny fluid switched to bg synthetic atf at 15k. (I currently have 12000, about 1,000 has been at stage 2). I've been looking around at tranny coolers (did you have one when when it blew up) I am waiting for the weather to cool down a little bit so I can install one. Is the hayden one of the best?

I've been thinking that a 20g with a lot less low end wtq, would be a lot nicer to our tranny's.

The tranny temp gauge sounds smart too.

I didn't have a tranny cooler at the time when I blew it up

Archived