LegacyGT.com

Quick P204-UH transplant question

GTTuner

Ok, I finally have a nice clean 08 HU to swap into my 2005. I am dizzy reading all the info at AE64.com about the swap. One thing I cannot seem to find an answer for is what antenna do I need to use for the satelite radio? Can I use my Sirius XM antenna or do I need to purchase one from Subaru?

You and me both! So when I get this radio (should be here UPS today)I need to see if it has the XM tuner bolted to the bottom of the radio chassis? I assume if it doesn't I'm gonna blow another 300+ on a kit from Subaru.

If you have the unit attached (mine did not) I would think that's all you need.

You're using a portable Sirus XM unit now? Does it have a 2.5mm jack or the pink plug antenna? If 2.5mm, could always do something like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PzvZr8F%2BL.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-FMDA25-SiriusXM-Direct-Adapter/dp/B000KGLL84/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363367652&sr=8-2&keywords=Sirius+XM+antenna+adapter]Amazon.com: SiriusXM FMDA25 Direct Adapter: Car Electronics[/ame]

Yes I have the 2.5mm jack on my add on XM unit but it already goes thru the FM modulator set up ( I set the radio to 88.1) but the sound quality really sucks and the XM tuner display is so bright at night I have to cover it with cardboard.....plus it looks like shit. So AUX input and SAT ready is the reason I am doing this.

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd post here to keep clutter down, forgive me.

related to this thread:

From what I understand, you can not use the ipod kit AND the XM tuner (they plug into the same port). Is that correct?

Unrelated:

anyone know if the Grom bluetooth kit plugs into that same port? Also, if you can use the stock aux-in AND a grom bluetooth setup?

• 3 weeks later...

Got my P204 and AUX working, loving it. However the XM radio going thru the FM modulator is killing me, sounds like shit. So I was going to bite the bullet and get the Subaru XM module ( a used one from a member on here for 200.00 plus buying a new antenna ) but I found this sweet deal:http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KOSA300/Kenwood-KOS-A300-Factory-Radio-Upgrade-System.html?tp=120#customer-reviews-tab

Now I will be able to add my iPod, and a blue tooth kit and control it all from the rotary knob. My current SC-C1 XM unit will adapt right up to this unit also. Look at what I paid for it. Hopefully I'll have this installed by next weekend ( I ordered the Kenwood Bluetooth kit also) and I'll let you know how it works.

I picked up the Grom Audio kit (3 inputs: aux jack, iPod cable with control, and Bluetooth)....love it so far. Was $230ish after buying the $50 Bluetooth cable and $30ish iPod cable.

I didn't get XM control (not sure if they offer one even), but having full BT and iPod control while still looking stock (no extra unit visually) is amazing.

I grabbed the XM kit with it, an extra 39.99 but I get a fifty dollar rebate with the XM so 49 + 39 = 89 minus the 50 = 39.99! My daughter will get my current satellite set up. I'll review the sound, install and operation once I get it installed.

Got it installed yesterday. Very straight forward, I mounted the control unit on top of the air bag control module (foam insulated and held tight with tie wraps ). My XM tuner is under the back seat. Here are some pics installed.

Overall this is a great idea product, the ipod control is a bit slow to respond but you can use stand alone mode for the ipod if desired. Satellite control and display is excellent. Not crazy about the mounting location and the size of the rotary control but it falls at had nicely while driving.

Sound quality is excellent, Sirius is almost digital quality. The display and controller back light is color selectable, plus you can make your own custome color if you want. I like that you can use a different color for the display and the controller.

025.thumb.jpg.79aad6e4a5d7eb34eb8a234469126771.jpg

026.thumb.jpg.25b61aeea0a009ebe91698894992add8.jpg

028.thumb.jpg.38143a334195209dc10013714c88ec95.jpg

Archived