LegacyGT.com

After owning an Outback, would you switch to a Legacy GT?

Would you have rather purchased a LegacyGT instead of your Outback?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have rather purchased a LegacyGT instead of your Outback?

• Yes, LegacyGT should have been my choice
    • No, the Outback has to much versatility and I like my wagons high!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
I like the looks better on the oubtack, but wqould like better brakes and hnadling. I like the ride height though.

I like the clearance and stance of the Outback, just want better handling. Anything available for improving the handling of the Outback lowers it, and I absolutely hate the look of a lowered car. I can take a 1 inch drop (to even out the spaceing around the tire and fender gap, but nothing more...

I agree. My WRX has a 1.3" drop in the front and 1" in the rear. Makes the car even instead of the huge SUV gap in the front.

There HAS to be a nice drop like that for the Legacy/Outback. You dont have to slam the car.

I was considering looking into an airbag system for the Outback. That way it could be lowered in the summer (moderatly low), and then raise it back up in the winter.

I like the clearance and stance of the Outback, just want better handling. Anything available for improving the handling of the Outback lowers it, and I absolutely hate the look of a lowered car. I can take a 1 inch drop (to even out the spaceing around the tire and fender gap, but nothing more...

I wish they'd left the clearance the same as the older OBW's - 7.3". That was about the perfect blend between handling and taking a fully loaded vehicle up a rutted dirt road or over the crud that builds up between lanes on the highway in a snow storm.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Yeah, but then they couldn't call it a truck for CAFE & safety standards...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I understand there is a company working on an adjustable height and damping strut setup available at some point in the far future. We will see.

As to lowering an outback, as I understand it, there are suspension differences more than just the springs in the outback. If lowered, I guess it presents itself with some underbits conflicting with each other.

On the other positive side (from the "wide" body comment) the outback does have different gearing and outside diameter of tires, so if one were to roll a set of low profile tires, the wheels could fill out the wheelwells more. On the other hand, maybe when lowered, it will have tire-rub?

I have done a good amount of offroad adventuring in my OB and in general its been alot of fun getting off in the sand, mud and gravel. The downside is that I have a good amount of scratches on the front bumper and rear bumper because of not-so-great departure angles. I really wonder if I should keep my offroading to my truck or other vehicle (dirt bike, mountain bike, etc.). Driving a legacyGT is so much more fun on the street. It corners much better and is less likely to do the Bump-->bounce--->rear steer--->overcorrect and do the hokey pokey at high speed. Don't ask how I know.

So why the Outback over the Legacy? (besides the visual differences?)

and from the guy who has one of the lowered OBXTs, neither. My ideal wagon would be an A4 or 3-series wagon with the build/reliability qualities of a Toyota or Honda. I never needed the ride height and I could get by with a smaller sized wagon. Or one of those Accord/TSX wagons...

honda_accordtourer_800_600_1.jpg.dbba99588e6e477e816ea1cdec531b5f.jpg

Drew: You would lean more towards the smaller Hatch wagons Sans the AWD?

Indeed, if only Honda or Toy built Audi's. Great driving and looking cars, its the "german engineered" thing that scares me away.

I bought my OBXT (vs. the LGT) for one specific road. It's a moderate 4x4 road with relatively high clearance requirements that we shuttle mountain bikes on. For the first summer of ownership, I was afraid to attempt the road without skid plates. I rode up the road two weeks ago in my friend's Ram and he even bottomed out once which makes me think that I shouldn't try it in my Subaru (even with skid plates). The lack of a low gear range is also a factor on this road.

So now, I am disappointed in the overall handling of the Outback, yet I am not willing to drive it on the road I bought it for. Eventually, I will put coil overs on it and lower it so it's not a big deal, and I'm happy with the car other than from a handling perspective. I just wish I would have snapped up a nice 5spd LGT when I had the chance...

That being said, the OB is a whole lot more stealthy than an LGT since it's one of the most popular cars in Colorado and easily blends into traffic...

Blends until your 1" off the ground blingin 19" rims and coilovers eh?

:)

* Your description pretty much covers what I feel. I have taken the Subaru offroad however, but my body has paid the price.

We'll have both soon, but the OB is ideal for crappy roads and driving the mountain in winter. Thus it gets the primary role. The LGT will be my commuter; the OB is the kid taxi and family vacation mobile.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Would the new 6speed manual be an option for you Evo? I don't mean literally, but if you were in the position to purchase right now.

Tell me a little about your lowering job. Do you have a thread somewhere discussing it? Thanks!

6sp would be interesting, wife required a 5sp - love her. When we looked no LGTs in stock in the US last fall. Fine in the end.

Threadjack in progress:

Lots of threads on lowering OBXTs. Search evomotion, drewster, 03Indigo.

Here are a couple pics:

Summer = 18x8

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ight=evomotion

Winter = stock

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33474

Would the new 6speed manual be an option for you Evo? I don't mean literally, but if you were in the position to purchase right now.

Tell me a little about your lowering job. Do you have a thread somewhere discussing it? Thanks!

I certainly am considering a Legacy for my next car, especially now that I'm in an area of the state that I don't get into the Mountains as much :( With the turbo now, the legacy makes a lot more sense for 90% of the driving I do, but I really don't like the look - the stance of the Outback just looks -right- to me. Plus the ground clearance really does kick ass for those rutted mountain roads - kristian, I think you really should try that road. These cars can do more than you can imagine! :) I've gone down some roads in my '97 OB that look scary in a jeep, and these new ones have both better clearance (by a lot!) and better approach/departure angles. Until I move out of a mountain state, I'm stickin with the Outback.

That said...if I do move to a non-mountain area, I would probably switch. I can't give up the wagon though, it would have to be a GT wagon.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Plus the ground clearance really does kick ass for those rutted mountain roads - kristian, I think you really should try that road. These cars can do more than you can imagine! :)

I'm sure you're right but after blowing an oil pan on my old Contour in Moab, I'm a little gun shy. If it were still in the same condition as it was last summer, I would do it but there are more loose rocks there now than before. Maybe as the summer goes on, the jeepers will knock the loose stuff off the trail. Now if only someone made a 3/16" skid plate...

Unfortunately it is 70lbs which I think is 10X heavier than the stock plastic part. Though cheaper than a new oil pan or diff I imagine. I considered it as well as I am going low as opposed to rock hopping.

Rallitek has a skid plate, but it's 1/8.

http://fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0503_tlex_04_s.jpg

How about a composite skidplate? We talked a little about it a while ago after a magazine (petersons 4x4) used a skidplate like this on a project vehicle.

Pictures and info: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1662&highlight=lexus+skidplate

Archived