LegacyGT.com

RPMs shooting up during during acceleration

Hello Everyone,

I have a '97 Legacy Outback 2.4L/manual transmission. Recently, while I push my foot down on the throttle, as the car begins to SLOWLY accelerate the RPMs begin to move quickly beyond the pressure of what is being deemed by the throttle and then drift back and forth. There is essentially a loss in power or rather the engine is trying too hard to accelerate. Doesn't really matter what gear it is in.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Novice@Best

You think it might be the clutch? It happens even when my foot isn't on the clutch. If I'm in fourth or fifth and just push down the gas pedal it happens then. No burning smell and the car goes into each gear smoothly.

I just don't understand how that could be the clutch? Mind boggling.

Assuming normal operation of all things in the driveline, each rpm your engine increases by translates to increasing speed or power in the wheels. When the clutch slips, the rpm goes up but the power is absorbed by the clutch plates slipping on each other and only a fraction of the rpm increase translates to the wheels. When the clutch goes completely, none of the power will translate to the wheels and your engine will rev with no result. If none of this sounds like your car then I suggest you present the problem again and word it differently beause it sounds like your clutch is slipping.

You think it might be the clutch? It happens even when my foot isn't on the clutch. If I'm in fourth or fifth and just push down the gas pedal it happens then. No burning smell and the car goes into each gear smoothly.

I just don't understand how that could be the clutch? Mind boggling.

Well, what do you think would happen with a slipping clutch?

Archived