LegacyGT.com

considering OBXT purchase

I'm on my second WRX wagon and I'm considering an '08 OBXT with MT for my next vehicle. I have a few questions:

1) With a Cobb DP w/high flow cat and a Cobb AP, will this be a reasonably quick car?

2) Will stiffer front and rear sways alone make a big difference in handling?

3) Does the lack of a 6 spd. make the car noisier at high speed on the highway?

Thanks.

I guess I disagree. I really do enjoy my outback. I use it for anything from towing quads to going in the snow. I believe it is fast. Obviously the lgt is faster, but I took the comprimise for the added height. Compared to other cars in it's class it is a great sleeper. When I am driving, no one beside me thinks it will go the way it does. I have not had that many problems with it, and would buy it again. I plan to go stage II when my warranty is up. I have the 5eat but it is reasonably quiet. Especailly considering the huge moonroof. Hope this helps.

I did the sway and they helped some,Perrins F&R 22mm.But the tires and the suspension is a little rubbery feeling.The only thing I'd recommend is the manual trans.I have the 5EAT in an 07 wish I had the stick.The second gen 5EAT is supposed to be alot better.

Just test drive the two if you can.Unfortunately the closest OBXT was 400 miles away.Not even a LGT on the lot.Only turbos they had were one Forrester and the WRX's.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't buy an OBXT without the MT. I've driven LGT wagons with both transmissions, and IMO the AT really killed the performance. I assume it would be the same for the OBXT. I almost bought a MT LGT wagon a month ago, but I decided to hold off because I couldn't convince myself that it made sense to go from an '06 to an '05 vehicle with 10K more miles.

There are a few MT OBXT's within a couple hours of my home. I'm planning on test driving one sometime in the next month.

The only thing I'd recommend is the manual trans.I have the 5EAT in an 07 wish I had the stick.

That's funny; I have the MT and wish I'd ponied-up for the AT. Each of the 17+ car's I've owned in my lifetime (less 3 of them) have been MT's, and even after driving my '05 OBXT 5MT for 4 years now, I still hate the nonprogressive, overboosted "light switch-like" engagement of the clutch in these cars.

Bottom line is, these cars are great, but the clutch action on them totally sucks IMO.

Tim G.

Ive heard things about subie clutches even before I started to like the cars.Not all bad ,but mostly.

I got the auto because of traffic and my wife.Really sloppy TQ is waayy too big and has alot delay.

Yes UncleMat we all know you how you feel about people learning to drive stick.

or somehow suck on driving stick.

I just made point that that "light switch-like" clutch is not typical for these cars, that's all.

I driven several examples (six or seven) of 05 LGT w/stick and all of them were drove fine, although some of the clutches were "heavier" some were "lighter" - I drove two cars back to back and the difference was very pronouced. The heavier one is easier to launch, the lighter requires less effort. None of them had "light switch-like characteristics, but it's not impossible - there are valid I assume complaints about bad clutches, mostly in 2005s. Never heard any complaints about 2006 and later.

1) Define "reasonably quick." No OBXT (near stock) is going to keep up with your WRX.

2) The handling sucks compared to my '02 Impreza TS. It's tippy and floaty, even with a JDM rear sway bar. If you want it to handle anything like your WRX, then budget for coil-overs.

3) No. The opposite, I think. The Subaru 6-spd manual is a "close ratio" transmission, so the gear ratios are closer together. First is taller and sixth is shorter than fifth in the normal 5-spd.

looks like you spend a bit of time in the snow!!! You will love the extra shock travel on rough snowy roads. After one ski season w/ my LGT wagon there was NO WAY I was going to thrash on my "mildly lowered" car that way. I'd end up w/ an east coast beater after three seasons!!!! I LOVE the OBXT..... total sleeper!!

I put IPD RSB on..... helped alot. I have some 245-45-18 tires for Sp/Sum/fall should help also.

Feels way better than my Xterra or my 4runner and way way faster than most SUVs and cars!!

Don't let the OBXT haters (hater:confused::lol:) sway you. Sure its no sportscar, but is that what you really want/need ??

Good luck!!!! Uber

^ No issues on mine. Very easy to drive. You have a bad example of the clutch (quite possible), or somehow suck on driving stick.

Interesting. I'm pretty sure I didn't invent this problem and I'll even bet if you did a search on "clutch" here, you'd get all kinds of hits on people complaining about the exact same thing on their '05s. Glad to see it's not affecting you--or maybe you're just too dense and opinionated to realize how a clutch is supposed to engage.

Feels way better than my Xterra or my 4runner and way way faster than most SUVs and cars!!

Don't let the OBXT haters (hater:confused::lol:) sway you.

I don't hate my XT, I just don't think it handles anywhere near as well as my Impreza. He DID ask about handling...

Sure, the Outback handles better than SUVs or mini-vans (we cross-shopped a Mazda 5, and it way better than that), but somebody coming from a WRX is bound to be disappointed.

Ben

If you don't have the need for the raised suspsenion and other qualities, why even go with an OB. If handling is more important, get a gt. It's not going to handle like a gt, but I believe it is a good compromise as I needed the raised suspenion and towing ability.

Interesting. I'm pretty sure I didn't invent this problem and I'll even bet if you did a search on "clutch" here, you'd get all kinds of hits on people complaining about the exact same thing on their '05s. Glad to see it's not affecting you--or maybe you're just too dense and opinionated to realize how a clutch is supposed to engage.

I am too dense to understand why someone with 17-year MT driving tenure can't tell a faulty clutch and jumps to silly generalization. I owned 8 MT cars, drove probably like 50+, including several 05 LGTs and can tell you one thing - the clutch in LGT is fine, in fact one of the better ones. It may stink when slipped, it may be tricky to launch, but in normal driving it's perfect.

It's possible that you have a faulty one as I stated originally. It does not mean "these cars are great, but the clutch action on them totally sucks".

I am too dense to understand why someone with 17-year MT driving tenure can't tell a faulty clutch and jumps to silly generalization. I owned 6 MT cars, drove probably like 50+, including several 05 LGTs and can tell you one thing - the clutch in LGT is fine, in fact one of the better ones. It may stink when slipped, it may be tricky to launch, but in normal driving it's perfect.

It's possible that you have a faulty one as I stated originally. It does not mean "these cars are great, but the clutch action on them totally sucks".

Matt, at times you seem to be a semi-knowledgeable guy about these cars, but at other times, it's beyond me why you choose use conjecture and your own irrelevant, unfounded conclusions and try to pass them off like they're somehow helpful in any way. Put simply, you seem to talk out of your ass a lot.

Had I believed my clutch were faulty, I would've had it looked at--however, it engages exactly like the '05 LGT 5MT which I almost bought instead. And my friend's LGT 5MT (which I've driven) engages the same way. Much like the poor choice in spring rate/shock valving on the OB (or do you want to debate me on that one, too?), I believe it was a shortcoming in design--not something which is faulty. You can argue all you want, but as I stated before--if you were to search this forum, you'll see I'm not the only one who dislikes the clutch engagement for the exact same reason. So I guess there's your "silly generalization". Wrong again, boy-o...

So , in the spirit of actually wanting to help the orig poster in his buying decision, I chose to make him aware of about the only real "dislike" which I (and apparently quite a few others) have with the OBXT--which I'm pretty sure was the reason he came here and posted.

Tim

If you don't have the need for the raised suspsenion and other qualities, why even go with an OB. If handling is more important, get a gt. It's not going to handle like a gt, but I believe it is a good compromise as I needed the raised suspenion and towing ability.

That's a really good point.

I can't answer for the orig poster, but personally I did want ("need" is probably too strong) the raised suspension for the snow (which has only come in handy in VT unfortunately) and for when we hit the Outer Banks--plus I also really like the appearance of the OB. I was never expecting it to handle as well as a LGT, but as others here have proven by upgrading tires, RSBs and coilovers--the biggest handling drawbacks on the OBXT really don't seem to be the result of their increased height, but moreso their poorly matched suspension bits--specifically sway bars which are too wimpy, and poorly matched spring rates and shock valving which result in excess "squirrelly-ness" at highway speeds and excess bottom-outs against the spring bump stops.

At least in my reading, some of the folks who've done these upgrades said that even at stock ride height, the handling problems are nonexistant.

Just my $.02.

Tim

Hey timgincentralnj, I ordered the jdm rear sway, it is on backorder. I also need the ride height. Now on the coilovers, which ones did you use, and what are the drawbacks? Ride quality, height? I might be interested in those but haven't looked into them. Can you tell me more. Thanks

Because you can not buy one new

Ok I know subaru isn't the best with making all options available on all models, I am just saying that it is a comprimise between handling and off road capabilities. I have been extremely happy with mine. However, I am doing some suspension mods, but I might be one of those who mod for the sake of modding. As soon as the warranty is up, stage II. I bought this car to handle my quarter life crisis till I get my Army retirement present which will be a corvette. I have kids so this is a great comprimise for me for the time being.

Hey timgincentralnj, I ordered the jdm rear sway, it is on backorder. I also need the ride height. Now on the coilovers, which ones did you use, and what are the drawbacks? Ride quality, height? I might be interested in those but haven't looked into them. Can you tell me more. Thanks

Hey Prime-

I haven't gotten the coilovers yet myself, but the majority of people here who have seem to have gone with Megan Racing. They costs in/around a grand and most of the people seem to be really happy with them--aside from a couple who said they're experiencing misc rattles, squeaks, etc from them.

I don't claim to be an expert on them, but from reading others' "testimony" the coilovers and SBs seem to tighten-up the suspension significantly, so it's more firm and controlled.

The only thing I wonder about is (and myabe some of the folks who have them can chime in), if you do any off-roading, I don't know whether the stiffer sways will interfere with suspension articulation or not; I know the MR coilovers are adjustable, but I don't know what impact, if any, the sways will have on keeping all 4 wheels on the ground while off-road.

Keep us posted on how you like your JDM RSB once it's in...I'm gonna' get one myself this summer.

Cheers,

Tim

The off road reason is why I went with the jdm bar. From what I have read, it is the best compromise between on and off road for the outback. We will see. 1k on coilovers is too rich for my blood so I hope the sb does enough for me. I believe it will as I am ok with the current ride.

If you don't have the need for the raised suspsenion and other qualities, why even go with an OB. If handling is more important, get a gt. It's not going to handle like a gt.

What you're really saying is buy an '05 LGT wagon, since I don't want a sedan and I won't buy an AT vehicle. I've found a few, but none have low enough miles to justify trading my vehicle with 33K mi.

I'm only asking about handling on the OBXT because I know it's a weak point and I'm wondering how some owners have managed to improve it. I realize some folks get defensive about it, but I'm not dissing the car. I think OBXT's are great vehicles. I'm just weighing options and deciding if it might be a vehicle I would enjoy driving.

Archived