LegacyGT.com

hesitation about a dealer vehicle?

robust

im in the market for an lgt but i'm looking used for the time being. do you guys think my fear of buying a dealer vehicle is baseless?

i keep seeing these on cars.com and autotrader shown on carfax as having been auctioned after serving as a dealer or fleet vehicle. as bad as i think it is or no? (do they beat on them as much as i fear? do they service them well knowing they'll sell it whenever they can get a new one?)

Its hard to say. Some are used as loaner cars, some used as a demo, some are strictly driven by one person at the dealer. If it was used as a loaner car think about how people treat a rental car. Would you buy a rental car? If it was a demo then its the car everyone beats on and if its stick, lot of different drivers beat on it and rode the clutch. If if was only generally driven by one person like the owner, a manager, etc. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

i would treat them as any used car....some people take care of their cars, some people don't.....

you just gotta check out the car as best you can.........

agreed. treat buying any car with miles on it, demo, used or otherwise as you would a used car. look at tire wear (especially on the edges), body condition, car fax, paint lines, etc.

use good judgement and look over the car a few diff. times to be sure you didnt miss something the first look over, no matter how well you think you looked at it.

some people are hard on demos or leased vehicles while some are not...just like a used car.

Take it to another dealer for an inspection. I test drove a nearly new '05 Outback (less than 1000 miles on it) and the interior was all effed up...looked like the idiot saleman had been hauling cinder blocks in it...in the seating areas, not the cargo hold. I have had 14 year old cars in better shape on the inside than this one. It's like any used car...depends on how stupid the primary driver was.
It is still ugly.

Yeah take a close look at it.

I have a lease and I drive it like I stole it, never let it warm up, always manual mode, and keep it on the gear that keeps me closer to redline, brake as hard as possible, and feed it the cheapest gas that is on special. I never really wash it, and I let my dog with dirty paws just run all over inside of it, and the neigborhood stray cats call it its second home. Also park it underneath a tree that is full of pigeons, so it has shiat all over the paint that bakes when the sun is out! :icon_bigg

J/K It is a lease, but I take care of it just fine, but it can easily be how I described above.

+1 on the advise above. My brother in law sells BMW's and he always gets those special 1 year lease. Whenever he is done with the car, is as new as the day he got it. He really takes care of them all.

X

---

No Joke..... I have had my subaru in the shop for three month in which I had two loaner cars. When I picked each of them up, they were past due on the oil change. Subaru loaner was 4.5k past the last change date and the Impala is going on 8k on dino and the oil life is at 0%. I don't give a rats ass though, not my dime or place to tell them how/when they should service their cars...... I would never buy a loaner/service/rental car for this same reason

A dealer offered me an opening 'about 25k' for one of 2 2006 Legacy GTs, one of which had 5,000 miles and had been a loaner, and the other which 'had only been test driven'. I assume they have no options installed, and he said they were identical. How can that be? Wouldn't you be insane to take the loaner at the same price? And is 25k a good price for the 'new' one given that incentives are $2750 on last year's? Is it just beeter to try and find an '07? (Sorry for so many questions!)

No Joke..... I have had my subaru in the shop for three month in which I had two loaner cars. When I picked each of them up, they were past due on the oil change. Subaru loaner was 4.5k past the last change date and the Impala is going on 8k on dino and the oil life is at 0%. I don't give a rats ass though, not my dime or place to tell them how/when they should service their cars...... I would never buy a loaner/service/rental car for this same reason

Enterprise takes great mechanical care of their vehicles...probably doing more scheduled services than that typical private owner.

as for the loaner cars, are they giving you used cars or something? we use brand new cars for loaners and they are taken out of loaner service between 3500 and 4500 miles.

Whenever I got a Subaru loaner they were pretty new. I got a Forester once with 100 mile son it, and I racked 200 over the weekend.

I tried to be nice to it since it was so new...tried. :icon_bigg

Most of the times though I would get a rental loaner that was not a Subaru. I tell you those Ford Focus are POS's.

X

---

Archived