LegacyGT.com

Edmunds Inside Line review of 07 Spec B

They didn't seem too impressed with the new Sub-Intelligent Drive feature:

"Intelligent mode, which Subaru reckons will improve real-world fuel economy by about 10 percent, took the legs out from under the car when squirting around in traffic. We figure any fuel savings garnered in Intelligent mode will be the result of simply taking fewer chances in traffic — the reduced boost and too-soft throttle response make it more likely to be caught with its pants down."

"...To be frank, SI-DRIVE appears to be the answer to a question no one asked."

"...We predict that drivers will play with SI-DRIVE for a day or two, then pick one mode and stick with it. It won't be Intelligent mode."

They don't seem impressed because maybe they're delusional.

Intelligent mode = 20% less power = fuel economy = more likely to get caught with its pants down...what a novel conclusion.

I keed I keeed

Intelligent mode = 20% less power = fuel economy = more likely to get caught with its pants down...what a novel conclusion.

hahahaha:whore:

I love my car ... basically.

Yes, I'm sure that "Intelligent" mode is a great feature. Every "intelligent" person will want to give their $26-34K GT the performance of a Corolla in order to improve fuel efficiency to the level of... an Odyssey?

I like the new Spec B, but I think SI drive is pretty useless. If they really cared about fuel economy and all that it should just be a simple on off button for econ mode. Why make it sound like something all great and fancy. Personally I can manage my right foot just fine if I need to save gas.

Edmunds pans the spec b. on 2006 MY. But Road and Track likes it enough in its AWD comparo. Interesting contrast here. The more I check out the MS6, the more I am glad I got the LGT. Nothing like having a true original. The 07 MY, won't make me jump over and buy that. But if in 08 MY they offer many more ponies, and a 6 spd,and the same economy,hmmm, that might me a different story.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

Did anybody have trouble enlarging all of the photos? I really wanted to see what the new Limited GT wheels look like. That car is sick though.. I wonder how the SI Drive is going to effect aftermarket engine remaps :icon_conf Also, does anybody have a link to the 5th gear review of the Legacy?

"...We predict that drivers will play with SI-DRIVE for a day or two, then pick one mode and stick with it. It won't be Intelligent mode."

Probably true for a lot of people (it would be for me). And then you've still got that enormous cheap-looking knob on the center console.

I can see it now... Friends get in the car... "Oh, cool, is that one of those controllers for the navigation/entertainment system?" "No, it just makes my car go slower"

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I was hoping for some comments on acceleration differences between the 5MT and 6MT. I figured there'd be something said if 0-60 required a shift into 3rd on the 6MT. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer still for performance numbers.

I like the new Spec B, but I think SI drive is pretty useless. If they really cared about fuel economy and all that it should just be a simple on off button for econ mode. Why make it sound like something all great and fancy. Personally I can manage my right foot just fine if I need to save gas.

PS. Ditch the SI drive. Why would anyone want a 20 percent hit in performance??

Whatever mode you put SID in, you still have the same power, it just changes the band that is comes in at. What they should have done was to actually make it useful and give you more power in sport mode, or whatever it's called.

your insider information notwithstanding, Subaru is touting SI-Drive to be more than just a fuel-saver. i recommend you re-read my post about it since you haven't read the latest issue of Drive:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=610140&postcount=34

"Command central for Subaru's SI-DRIVE interface. This knob controls whether your 2.5 GT is slow, the same as last year, or almost as good as Cobb stage 1. "

Corrected. ;)

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Little steps....that is what SOA is making.

For the Subaru family....most of us are excited about the improvements but for the rest of American consumers all they see is HP & TQ figures dropping.

We all know this is using the new SAE calculation but come on.....SOA should have said.....Let's re-work the engine mngmnt & release with 260Hp / 260Tq

Think of the advertising potential.....

"In acceleration runs to 60.....Road & Track clocked the 05 Spec B @ 5.4 sec.....we just added a few more ponies to make it more interesting"

Look @ it this way everyone, If SOA released the same car & quoted 305Hp & 295Ft-lb we would be jumping up & down for joy.

Our ins. rates would increase....the stealthiness of our cars would start to slip away.....

I like the fact that for another 650.00 I can have a totally different animal.

Now come out with a 08 LGT Spec B STI with a turbocharged 6.....do us a favor rate it in the 295hp / 315Ft-lb range.....

That way ins. rates stay Uber low as they are now & for under 700 bucks I can have a 355HP / 360Ft-lb sleeper.

One thing SOA really needs to address is in the area of Dealer added power stages for there cars they are REALLY missing the boat there.

Dodge, GM, Toyota, are all doing it lets doooooooeeeeeet Subaru;)

Dealer installed factory warranty backed

Stage I.........Engine Mngmnt & SPT intake 280Hp/280Ftlb....900

Stage II.......UP & DP (HFC) & tweek to engine management 305Hp/300Ftlb......800

Stage III......Catback exhaust, Header, Larger TMIC, Sways & custom tune 330Hp/315Ftlb.......2200

These prices would not include Labor but do come with a 3yr36k warranty:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Archived