LegacyGT.com

What would cause an "er 55/SS" (not speed sensor)

nm

Ok, so at an autocross this weekend my ABS light came on with er SS.

I think hey, it's a speed sensor, no big deal (rear sensor, drivers side IIRC).

My shop orders the part (how are these not in stock even at the dealer?).

Today, i go in and they install it. The light and error are still there.

What the hell else could cause this. It's only throwing teh one code, so I don't suspect ABS module or the wiring issues that the TSB that addresses an SP would cause.

A couple of more things:

The exact sequence of the light going on:

I'm in a run, have to brake hard to avoid a cone wall -- ABS works fine from maybe 40-50mph.

Turn, slow down for finish. I hit no cones on this run (and my fastest time, w00t). There was a fine layer of rocks, maybe the size of pop-rocks on the course (noting in case there's something very senstive that could have been damaged). I slow down (no lock or ABS), but while crusing to the paddock, I notice my ABS light on.

This ABS light is not putting teh car into safe mode (thank god).

The ABS light will go off after a while at idle or possibly low speeds. After that I'll ahve to cross roughly 40-50 mph to trigger the light. While the ABS light is off the ABS works perfectly (it seems, at least that it's working on all 4 wheels). Obviously, when the light is on, at any speed it doesn't.

What the **** could be causing this?

My shop thinks it's probably the ring that the sensor reads off of, but before they do that, or in case that doesn't work, I figured i'd get LGT.com's opinion and maybe save me some labor.

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon

57k mi

(mods that probably don't matter -- racecomp coils, cobb sways, SSR competitions -- all of tehse have been on there for a while before the error).

I've also rotated my tires since the light went on for unrelated reason, so if it were some major fuckup there, I'd imagine that'd move at minimum.

This car has seen a lot of autocross and some track days, so abuse could be a factor (unless this is covered by warranty :lol:)

;TLDR

Getting er SS and a code for a rear sensor (only code)

rear sensor replaced

code still these

no safe mode

light will go away after stopping (sometimes), ABS works fine under about 40mph

above 40 mph light goes on and stays on regardless of speed until long period of non-movement. ABS non-functional.

Oh and I have a track weekend coming up, and I like my ABS.

Our cars don't use hall effect sensor. Instead of a tooth ring around the hub, it has a magnetic strip around it. The sensor senses the alternating magnetic poles from the strip to get the speed of hub rotation. I damaged one of my rear one during hard cornering. And that strip is part of the hub, so i got a whole new hub for that problem. That may be your case also.

yeah....why the hell didn't they just use a tooth ring like most hall effect sensor? retarded engineering decision.

It was torn apart by a rock (while on the street)

Rally heritage my ass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived