LegacyGT.com

What is going on here, carfax is showing an accident that wasn't on there before...

Ok, I bought my LGT at the end of August 07. I live in MI and flew out to NJ after I bought it on ebay from a Toyota dealer. Now, I carfaxed the car 4 times before I bought it, I just searched my email and there were 4 report emails from Carfax. Unfortunately, the emails only contained links to temporary reports which are no longer accessible. I recently ran my VIN again just to see what new additions, if any, were added.

Now, it is showing that my LGT was in an accident in March of 07. It says "Accident reported in Ocean County It hit a light pole" That is 6 months before I bought my car. I KNOW for a fact that I would have noticed that the car was in an accident if it was originally shown on the report.

There was no way in hell that I would have flown out to New Jersey to pick up a car that had ran into a light pole. I could see how one might think I just looked at the wrong report for whatever reason, but I pulled the report 4 separate times. I wouldn't have missed it.

I doubt theres anything I can really do, and it is kind of upsetting. Not only do I not want to have a car that was in an accident, but now if/when I goto sell it, it will be a big negative point.

Oh well, just thought I'd share.

Carfax will give you $5k back... or so they claim.

I think you have to be registered with them some how before you purchase the car for their buyback guarantee or whatever. I was not registered.

Did you keep an original copy of the carfax from your purchase?

Have you contacted carfax to ask WTF?

Lots of ?'s because I used carfax to feel better about my purchase, and hearing this ain't good.

I looked and I can't find an original that I printed 6 months ago. I haven't contacted carfax. I really didn't think to, but I'll give it a shot.

Same exact thing happened to me when I bought an Accord a few years back. Didn't care much b/c I knew it was hit but the accident was not reported on cafax when I bought it... unfortunately it showed up less than 2 years later when I traded it in.

• 5 months later...
I think you need to determine what you want as compensation from Carfax. Then, if you don't get it, you can contact your area TV or newspaper consumer reporters and go for some bad publicity. You can also look up the location for the Carfax corporate headquarters and file a complaint with the local better business bureau. (I did that successfully with Office Depot on a rebate problem.) Finally, you can come up with some estimation of what the damages are worth (perhaps the $5K Carfax guarantee) and then take 'em to your local small claims court.

Archived