LegacyGT.com

2008 LGT Suspension and Brake upgrade

jj808

All, I am replacing/upgrading the brakes and suspension on the 2008 LGT i bought not too long ago. Below is the list of parts i plan on purchasing so far. Is there anything missing or wrong with the items on the list i should be aware of?

1 gr24216 Goodridge 05-09 Legacy GT Brake Lines

1 T-200 ATE DOT4 Brake Fluid

2 hwkHB533Z.668 Hawk Ceramic 05-09 Subaru Legacy GT Front Brake Pads

2 hawkHB434Z.543 Hawk Ceramic 05-09 Subaru Legacy GT Rear Brake Pads

1 st126.47024SL Stop Tech Power Slot 05-09 LGT Front Left Slotted Rotor

1 st126.47024SR Stop Tech Power Slot 05-09 LGT Front Right Slotted Rotor

1 st126.47025SL Stop Tech Power Slot 05-09 LGT Rear Left Slotted Rotor

1 st126.47025SR Stop Tech Power Slot 05-09 LGT Rear Right Slotted Rotor

1 bil35-118305 Bilstein B6 05-09 Subaru Legacy GT Front Left 36mm Monotube Strut Assembly

1 bil35-118312 Bilstein B6 05-09 Subaru Legacy GT Front Right 36mm Monotube Strut Assembly

2 bil24-118323 Bilstein B6 05-09 Subaru Legacy GT Rear 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber

1 kybSB103 KYB Subaru Legacy GT Front Strut Boots

1 kybSB101 KYB Subaru Legacy GT Rear Strut Boots

1 SUS-SPG-H&R-LGT H&R Subaru Legacy GT Sport Springs

I would add the Whiteline RC/bumpsteer kit, as well as the offset front LCA bushings (the rear ones). You can also do the LCA front-inside bushing while you're at it.

Have you already upgraded sway bars and tires? If not I'd get those over the springs/struts unless they're completely worn out, or do it all together.

Yea, they are reaching the end of their life. The guy i bought the car from said he installed the Tein coilovers @ ~30k miles. Thats 50k+ miles on them as of now and they are reaching rebuild point. Personally, they are way too hard and dropped way to low for me. The tires will be a little later.

And knowing is half the battle... =) Thanks for the info. I never knew that but i figured someone on here might know more about suspensions than I.

Scooby, you in SD? Do you do your own work on cars or do you have a shop you go to here?

I do mostly everything myself, but if I get lazy (don't have the tools/time for a clutch job for ex.) then I go to Infamous Performance. Can't say enough good things about them, and in particular the owner, Mike. They are a little ways from you up in Escondido, but worth the trek.

Honestly, even if you live in LA it's worth driving there for anything big IMO. Excellent service/prices/vibes/everything. I'm pretty OCD and Mike is the only person I feel ok with handing my keys to and touching my car with tools aside from myself. I have trust issues. :lol:

A few suggestions and notes...

If you currently have coilovers on the car, did it come with the OEM suspension parts? You will need some of those parts if you plan to go with Konis because the fronts are only inserts and you need the old housings to put them in.

No need for stoptech rotors. The Centric Premium rotors are going to be just as good (made by stoptech anyway) and significantly less $. Hawk ceramics are ok but I'd be curious why you were thinking of those over Hawk HPS or Stoptech Street Performance pads? For brake fluid the Motul RBF600 or ATE Gold is probably going to be a better setup than the regular ATE DOT4 stuff.

Hope this helps.

-mike

No need for stoptech rotors. The Centric Premium rotors are going to be just as good (made by stoptech anyway) and significantly less $. Hawk ceramics are ok but I'd be curious why you were thinking of those over Hawk HPS or Stoptech Street Performance pads?

-mike

What Mike said.

If the reason you're getting the Ceramics because you're looking for a low dusting pad, take a look at the Centric Posi Quiet pads as well, they are usually more than half the price as well.

-Nick

Get konis!

The hawk ceramics I HATED. Dusted 100x more than advertised and didn't stop well. If you want a good street pad go for the porterfield R4S or the Stoptech SP. But then again I drive like an asshole on the mountain rds and I track now....

If you currently have coilovers on the car, did it come with the OEM suspension parts? You will need some of those parts if you plan to go with Konis because the fronts are only inserts and you need the old housings to put them in.

No need for stoptech rotors. The Centric Premium rotors are going to be just as good (made by stoptech anyway) and significantly less $. Hawk ceramics are ok but I'd be curious why you were thinking of those over Hawk HPS or Stoptech Street Performance pads? For brake fluid the Motul RBF600 or ATE Gold is probably going to be a better setup than the regular ATE DOT4 stuff.

Hope this helps.

-mike

I do have 3 out of 4 of the original suspension bits he removed for the coilovers. Unfortunately the one im missing is the front left. I went with the stoptechs because i had them on my 05 and liked them. I am not set on them at all and if the Centrics are the same but cheaper then im all for that. I chose the ceramics because they were suggested to me for because i want little to no dust, good lifespan and quiet. Again, not set on them so if the HPS will give me what i want with a lower price point then im willing to go with them. Same for the fluids too...

Oh and yeah Front LCA Inner and Rear bushings are probably due and think about a Roll Center Kit and Steering Rack bushings to go along with your setup if you plan to lower it at all.

-mike

What does the Roll Center Kit do? Actually i want to raise the car from the slammed stance is it in now from the Tein coilovers on the car now. Its just way to low and looks ridiculous IMHO.

I do have 3 out of 4 of the original suspension bits he removed for the coilovers. Unfortunately the one im missing is the front left. I went with the stoptechs because i had them on my 05 and liked them. I am not set on them at all and if the Centrics are the same but cheaper then im all for that. I chose the ceramics because they were suggested to me for because i want little to no dust, good lifespan and quiet. Again, not set on them so if the HPS will give me what i want with a lower price point then im willing to go with them. Same for the fluids too...

The front struts are the ones you will need for the konis. The rears replace the struts themselves but you'll still need the hardware from them.

Centric Premiums are fine for a street car or even for HPDE, no need for the slotted Stoptechs.

On the pads, the Stoptech Street Performance or the Posi Quiets both are relatively low dust and low noise but provide excellent stopping power. Posi Quiets for normal driving, Stoptechs for more spirited driving and/or low level HPDE.

Fluids, Motul RBF600 or ATE Gold will work fine for you.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

What does the Roll Center Kit do? Actually i want to raise the car from the slammed stance is it in now from the Tein coilovers on the car now. Its just way to low and looks ridiculous IMHO.

The Roll Center Kit compensates for a lower than stock car in terms of the tie rod ends and ball joints, so they don't get a harsher than engineered angle on them due to the car being lower than originally intended.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Anyone tried the Grimmspeed master cylinder brace?

As far as pads, I always say to heck with the dust...if you want a better brake set up go with a more aggressive pad than ceramic (I like Bobcats (what I use), HPS, etc). I personally got deposits from overheating ceramic pads but I brake fairly aggressively at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived