LegacyGT.com

E85 and long term concerns?

Spec B

I have been running exclusively E85 for over 1.5 years without any problems on a very solid tune. I drive on the weekends only and have probably racked up 6,000 miles over the last 18 months. Overall the car is running as strong as it did when I first switched off of pump.

Considering the amount of time I have been on E85 exclusively, should I consider doing any preventative maintenance to the fuel system? Like a fuel additive or revert back to pump for a while?

I autocross and do open lapping days at a road course several times per year. I would guess that 1/3 of my shifts occur above 4k, and I shift at 6k at least 10x per day. (I try not to shift above 6k because power drops off after that anyway).

You are totally right...I tend to baby it most of the time and then open it up for a few runs. It's like I am expecting something to break or something.

Its tought to drive like that. I used to be like that. Then I emptied my bank account and I don't care anymore :lol:

lol

@ Spec B: I was going to suggest you post this question directly to the experts (my "buddy" up the street, hotrod). I see that you did. Good going! In for a response.

@ LGT for me: Yep 4+ years on E85. (Proof here!) I have never gone back to 91 and I've never tuned for it either once I made the switch. No issues, other than cold start issues, which are pretty manageable.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

@ Legend If you don't mind me asking what kind of power did you put down with your 52 on e85? I'm putting one on my car and going to tune for pump gas. Then when I get bored with that power I am going to get tuned for e85 but would be nice to see what I can expect (ballpark, I know all dyne's read differently and whatnot).

You need to upgrade the fueling. e-85 uses about 30% more fuel. You need larger injectors and a pump to get the real benefits of e-85. Wasting your time on stock fueling.

VF-48 is what held you back sir sharp. OEM turbos fall on their face at 4800-5000rpm no matter what. My 68HTA held 25psi from 3400 all the way to redline on e-85.

Our average gain at sea level is 80whp. We have seen higher. But rarely less. My own SpecB gained 85whp on the e-85 tune over the 91 pump gas tune. If starting with 93/94 pump gas, gains will be slightly less as you started with more.

Our average gain at sea level is 80whp. We have seen higher. But rarely less. My own SpecB gained 85whp on the e-85 tune over the 91 pump gas tune. If starting with 93/94 pump gas, gains will be slightly less as you started with more.

That must be the difference b/c last I checked VF48=VF52 ;)

lol

@ Legend If you don't mind me asking what kind of power did you put down with your 52 on e85? I'm putting one on my car and going to tune for pump gas. Then when I get bored with that power I am going to get tuned for e85 but would be nice to see what I can expect (ballpark, I know all dyne's read differently and whatnot).

On my dyno the difference b/w stage 2 91oct and stage 2 E85, after tune, is a difference of 10-11% whp and 17-18% wtq. Enough for me to improve my e.t. at the dragstrip by 0.6s and 4mph trap.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Archived