LegacyGT.com

drive belt replacement

This is for my old '97 Outback NA 2.5l, NOT the '06 in my profile ...

My friend takes the car in for tire rotation and they also want to replace

the drive belts, for $200 ($30 per belt, $130 for 1.5hrs labor). The

current belts have about 80K miles on them. Is there any way this

price is not a complete rip-off (of an unsuspecting single mom) ?

I don't know how long it took me to replace them way back when, but

I think I woulda remembered if it was a PITA enough to take 1.5hrs;

never mind the labor rate of $80+/hour. And the parts cost seems

pretty excessive too (at subarupartsforyou.com I see a price of $23

and an MSRP of $28 for the belt SET).

Convince me these shysters don't deserve to be ripped a new one ...

That price is about $107 more than what we charge at a dealership for drive belts. Even the price of the belts is a ripoff as well.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Sure thing.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Any hints on what I should do - other than tell my friend not to

do it, and never to take her car there again, and I'll order the belts

for $23 for her and change 'em myself, and not to worry they'll

break in the next 300 miles of driving when she heads to parents

(unless these scumbags sabotaged them somehow) ???

This kinda crap pisses me off, and I want to hurt these guys. I already

posted to facebook so local friends will be warned. I could call 'em on

the phone and tell 'em what bitches they are ...

They probably weren't even using genuine belts. Not sure how an aftermarket belt is more than what you'd even get at the dealer.

FWIW, it isn't a difficult job. You are probably better off doing it yourself. Tell them she's decided to have someone else do the job.

My g/f does it when she goes to the dealer for an oil change, because they are pretty cheap. But, they try to make up for it by recommending a bunch of unnecessary crap.

You can find the price of the belts from a site like advance auto parts.

I replaced my timing belt and belts last Sept. I used all the parts from Advance. Did the job myself.

If you can't do it yourself, talk to friends and co workers and find what local mechanic they use and like. Always use them and build a relationship with them. A decent shop will be able to get or do anything you want or need or they will tell you who to take the car to. Learn to pay with cash, it's king...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Wow, I've done a very poor job of communicating.

I've already researched the price of the belts (I believe

I mentioned it in my original post).

I've already told her not have them do it and not to worry.

I can easily do the work myself.

My current question is: how can I (legally) hurt these

scumbags for trying to rob my friend ?

Thanks.

No that's just me...I thought you didn't check the after market.

Really the only thing you can do is let anyone you know or anyone that asked for your recommendation on a "place" to go, just tell them your story.

Other then a short rant on the forums, that's what most of us do.

Also tell her, we all say she's lucky to have good friend like you.

Back to finding a local shop, I guess being from a small town, it's easy to find a good repair shop. My guy is a about a mile away, can get anything I need, I buy my tires from him too. He;s been there since the late 70's.

I have sent other friends to him and ask them to us my name, they get taken care of, I get taken care of...he get's more business...he's so busy, his guy's don't need to create work that may not need to be done.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My current question is: how can I (legally) hurt these

scumbags for trying to rob my friend ?

Thanks.

You can't. There is nothing legally that states a shop has to charge a specific amount for work. They are within their right to charge that amount whether it be a rape or not. The thing is, the consumer also has the right to shop around for a better price.

Archived