LegacyGT.com

Where to take your car for work in SoCal.

Rommel

Anyone know of a shop near San Diego (92122) to get brake pads replaced? At this point, I'm considering going all the way to Harman Motive, but not sure if they do maintenance, pricing, etc. They quoted me for HPS pads at $160 on all corners though. Any pointers?

:?

$160 is definitely for the parts only, and the price sounds pretty fair. But why would you want to drive all the way up to my neighborhood just to get those pads dropped in? Any local mechanic shop or that wrench money who lives down the street from you would be able to perform the job.:)

I'm sure HB does maintenance work too...go check out their new door buzzer!

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone tried EDO? I'm wondering because I'm still trying to fix what I asked them to install. Back in Nov I asked them if they could install headers/ turbo/ fmic/ extend my downpipe/ injectors/ fuel pump and get a tune using an AP . They assured me they can do it so I left my car with them for a week and half. It was okay by me since I live in San Diego and I could leave my car up there.

In the middle of the week they call me telling me they can't use the AP because they do not have a license to tune the car. It was too late to get my car back as they already started doing the install. I contacted Jon about tunning my car, he agreed and sent me a base map so I can drive my car after EDO was done with it. This is before Jon had his shop.

When I met up with Jon, he went out of his way to help me get my car running right and looking like it should. He adjusted my fmic as the bumper was not lined up. Jon tunned my car and ran like a champ. Jon spent a full Sunday 10-10 with me to get my car tunned; a day in which most shops would be closed.

When I took the car from the shop there was a strong smell of exhaust fumes going inside the car. I contacted EDO and they said it's normal and would burn off. But when I looked inside the engine there was a hose that was disconnected on the passengers side of the block. I reconnected it and there was no more smell.

A few months later I was looking underneath my car and looked at my downpipe. They used my stock midpipe to extend my jdm length downpipe. It looked really ugly (I forgot to take a picture) and decided to take it to a muffler shop and have them take off the section that EDO did. Before fixing the downpipe my car would hesitate after coming from a complete stop.

3 weeks ago going to work my car just shut down on the freeway. I get it towed to a local Subaru shop here in San Diego. They tell me it's the fuel pump. I contact Jon and said he can take a look at it. So I have the car towed up to HB speed. He takes the fuel pump apart and shows me that there is no fuel filter, the pump was connected by a rubber hose and was not secured anywhere. It is currently at HB awaiting a new fuel pump assembly.

I don't know if EDO has changed there ways but that is my story to tell. HB speed is the closest to me as I live deep in San Diego (I can see the boarder from my back yard :p ).

I'll be heading up to HB Speed tomorrow to have them swap out my stock strut/springs for Bilstein and Swifts SS. The Bilsteins are TOs with LGT Sedan-specific Pink springs (which I'll be putting up FS as soon as I get them off) and the Swifts are new, wagon-specific versions. Once that's done, Jon is going to do a few baseline pulls to make sure everything is good to go for some upgrade tuning I'll be doing next month. Looking to install a WBR FMIC, an STI UP (replace the stock CUP) / MadDad Shorty DWG DP or a full Cobb TBE to the cans and do a pro-tune. Looking forward to seeing what Stage 2 really feels like.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...
Whats a good place to get aftermarket body work color matched and painted (lips spoilers, spats, you know what i mean) in the LA/Santa Monica/South bay area, i'm not interested in driving any further than that just to drop off/pick up a painted piece.

BTW, I've heard there's this one guy that from time to time does installs out of his garage in Murrieta ;) ;)
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

BTW, I've heard there's this one guy that from time to time does installs out of his garage in Murrieta ;) ;)

And I've heard he's really good with Subarus:)

Whats a good place to get aftermarket body work color matched and painted (lips spoilers, spats, you know what i mean) in the LA/Santa Monica/South bay area, i'm not interested in driving any further than that just to drop off/pick up a painted piece.

bump, anyone?

The guy who I work with, lives in North San Diego County and travels to paint stuff. He was Boyd Coddington's painter just before Charlie started. He quit to start his own business. He only uses the finest German paints and his work is amazing.

some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose.

car for sale. PM me!

some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose.

LOL, that was funny. I think I might put that on my sig!

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that there are two guys in Murrieta that will do installs and other maint stuff... When Jose is busy the other guy might be able to do it. And he's damn sexy too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know this thread is for shop recommendations, but I think it's worth spreading warnings of shops to avoid as well.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/lounge-off-topic/389628-horrible-body-shop-experience-details-inside-350z-ruined.html

This poor guy's 350z was mutilated by a "body shop" in SoCal. I don't typically take pleasure in the misery of others, but I made an exception in this case. Pretty funny stuff...

Hey Alex don't know if you remember me, But I have been there for suspension Quotes about my LGT. Brother that hit a pot hole bent to rims w/Silver 05 anyway.

I need to ask U if it's better to do my CV boot repair thru Timmons or third party. I know you'll say Timmons, but What's the greater benefit of the Dealer over a Specialty shop on suspension. Sale me on dealer repair Brother!!!

Hey Alex don't know if you remember me, But I have been there for suspension Quotes about my LGT. Brother that hit a pot hole bent to rims w/Silver 05 anyway.

I need to ask U if it's better to do my CV boot repair thru Timmons or third party. I know you'll say Timmons, but What's the greater benefit of the Dealer over a Specialty shop on suspension. Sale me on dealer repair Brother!!!

Alex hasnt been @ Timmons for a few mos now

Wow thanks for the Update:redface:, how about an Address & # on HB Speed!!! posted to the first page List. I need a quote from you Guys I've lost faith in EDOs Performance:eek::spin: after reading reviews. But Alex's spoke highly about HBSpeed:cool: Edited by Bones

• 1 month later...

I'm really tempted to create a new thread for this, but...

Where's the best place to get a 60k checkup?

I'm currently in the Irvine area and work in the FV area, so something nearby either of those would be ideal.

Also, around what amount should I expect to pay?

I'm hoping that it's a specific/unique enough question that I don't get a "look through the thread" reply ;)

^ We're not Nasalock and the LGT crew are much more refined their SoCal crew so no worries.

You're looking at ~$350 parts and labor. Presume that this is the 1st 60K service so it's not that intrusive or involved and you could do it for less if you bought the parts at discount and did most of the labor yourself, i.e., oil/air filters, belts (if needed), tranny and diff fluids, coolant/conditioner, and probably a few things I'm forgetting.

Since you're in the Irvine/FV area give Ron Kang at SouthCoast Subaru a call, or Matt at HB Speed. HB Speed can probably do it cheaper, but either one could give you an estimate.

HTH.