LegacyGT.com

Should I part out a 95 Legacy

Well my clutch started slipping, and its gotten to the point where its completely worn down, and I bet my flywheel is shot as well, so I definitely need those parts. But getting them installed is out of my capability, so affording that and the parts brings me to deciding to part out the car.

Its a 1995 Subaru Legacy L.

So how are you going to part out the engine without a lift? I guess you and two friends can lift the engine out. But parting it out means you will have to deal with people flaking out on you, not knowing what you are doing, etc.

You can drop the clutch with a jack.

It's not like you are sitting on a gold mine.

Parting a car out correctly involves tools and mechanical skills, I'm just picking up that you do t have either..if the car is running tip top and it just needs a cluctch and possible flywheel, why would you do that? Couldn't be feasible either way your looking at it, its going to take quite a bit of time to part out and you can't really expect a quick payoff unless you sell as is.

170k is almost nothing on that car if it's been taken care of half way decently. You have a 2.2 so it should last a long time without needing anything at all if you continue to take care of it. I wouldn't worry about tons of things going wrong with the car once you replace the clutch unless you destroy anything in the engine bay during the job. Once you do the clutch, you'll be able to make the decision to sell or part out sometime in the future if something huge actually does go wrong.

If the car ends up a heap of junk in the next 5k miles or so, you've only spent some time and $200 or so to get that far. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Post up some pictures of the car!

Don't part it out. Don't sell it.

Do the clutch.

If your buddy is willing to help part out an entire vehicle, I'm sure he'd be willing to help replace the clutch. You can do it without a lift, engine hoist, or any major tool. If you take your time and don't try to do it in one day, it can easily be done over a weekend.

As far as the flywheel, just have it machined for $25 or so.

Use an Exedy 15010 Kit. Amazon has the BEST deal on it compared to anyone else. It's where I ordered the clutch for my car last summer. I'll even link you straight to it:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-15010-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B001B5E5XQ]EXEDY 15010 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Parting out a car can make you money, but you have to do a complete part out including dropping the transmission, pulling the motor, and dropping the rear diff, as well as stripping the interior down to the bare metal frame. I parted out a 98 legacy gt last year and it takes a long time. A lot of storage space (a parted out car takes up a lot of room my garage is full, my shed is full, and my basement is full of car parts.) also it will take you a while to sell some parts. If your up for it go right ahead, but it is a lot of work and the money will come here and there, and you'll start getting fed up with having car parts everywhere. The only upside I found to parting out the car i did, was that I am currently flipping another 2nd gen legacy and also own a 2nd legacy as my daily driver, so I have saved myself probably around $600 in various parts. If you said replacing the clutch is out of your range you may want to just sell the car as is and make the money up front without having to do work and store car parts.

Archived