LegacyGT.com

Horn Stopped working

Had enough time to determine that there is a break between the Horn switch and the relay. It's somewhere between the fuse/relay box under the hood and the BIU plug under the dash.

So, my next steps is to inspect the wiring harness in between there, which will require the removal of the drivers side wheel and wheel well cover to get to the harness.

My hope is there is something that explains this break, if not, I worry that other wires might be affected in the future... :(

Well, found the issue... The horn wire was corroded and broken in the harness. But, here is the kicker, it was the only wire like that. This would have never happened if one, the wiring harness was properly protected, wires where exposed, and two if the wire had not broken away from a retainer and were rubbing against the inner side of the fender.

Attached is a picture of the wire harness in question after I pulled it out for repair, sorry no before and after pictures. Also attached is a picture of the corroded wire.

FYI, the horn now works after repairing the broken wire. Also, the harness is completely covered and protected and has been restrained so it will not rub against the fender any longer.

http://www.disorder.com/gallery/d/10722-2/img_0520.jpg

http://www.disorder.com/gallery/d/10726-1/img_0526.jpg

MonkeyShack, sorry for derailing your thread.

But, in an effort to get your issue resolved....

1. When you replace the fuse, does it blow immediately, or after you attempt to use the horn?

2. Where did you leave the car for a week? Is it possible some animal made a nest in your bumper?

What I'm thinking is that the horn is either defective (shorting out) or the wire had been cut/came loose and it contacting the chassis causing a short.

Hey Rony,

This is good info you didn't derail. I havent had a chance to take my bumper off yet to check to see if one of the horns is shorting out of if its the cable like you discovered.

I'm going to buy a couple of replacements just in case before I take it off.. it sucks not having a garage... I'll keep you posted but hopefully its just the wiring. I should be pretty easy from this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is having the same issue. I replaced the fuse with a bigger one and I can do taps and hear only one. If I leave it presses it will blow the fuse which leads me to believe it can be a short and then I find this thread.

Rony, where exactly is the problem you got as I flowed the visible part and saw no problems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...

Horn stopped working. Depressed horn. No sound at all. Checked fuse box under hood. One 7.5 amp fuse was blown for Horn Cntr. Now makes a barely audible but faint horn noise when depressed.

Changed Horn Relay. Still does not work. Horn sounds muffled like under pillows and faint.

980150b4160b4641904156f0a5656bee.gif

Any advice welcomed...supposed to go on a trip soon need advice for dad of 3 on a budget..

Edited by NavigatorsLegacy

• 2 weeks later...