LegacyGT.com

Blew up the car -- carcass for sale

As I was returning from a 150 mile trip tonight the engine locked up while in 40 mph traffic. No oil loss, no coolant loss, no CELs or other lights of any kind. I just approached a stoplight and the engine knocked a few times and quit. The starter can't turn it at all so it's bound to be a rod. I made this same trip last Thursday with no problems and averaged 25 mpg. It's made a previous 7hr trip with no problems.

I'm not going to try to fix it. I can't even afford to find out what happened or what caused it. I don't have the time, the place, or the tools to do it. Anyone wanting a GRP 2005 LGT Limited that turned 22k miles today can have it for $9k. I owe that on it (from the engine rebuild) so it's a firm price. NO part out whatsoever. All the mods are listed here including HTA Green, WRB FMIC, DW850s, and the ACT clutch / WRX flywheel combo. All parts have maybe 4k miles on them. Yes, there's stick-on woodgrain that needs to be removed. There's a missing cubby/pocket where I wanted a carputer display. You can have the stock bumper beam if you don't like that the WBR removes it.

Was it the tune? Not hardly. I pulled a LV just before I started the trip and it's perfectly happy. It's attached just for fun.

So that's it. I quit.

1766834607_LearningView_SS_9-19-201020706PM.jpg.d015575a1c7d4220ba73b928e761868f.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went & pulled a LV to see what shows after the fact. Nothing! Not a single CEL, active or stored. No timing pulled anywhere.

The engine does turn over with the starter now but I didn't do it long enough to let it start. It makes noises so I don't want it to run even if it could.

I don't know how it's possible to have an undriveable car with zero diagnostic symptoms but here it is.

863880404_LearningView_SS_9-19-2010114638PM.jpg.bc179ac58355b62e31021471d23d70bd.jpg

Sorry bro :-( I have an 08 with 30k on it. Low compression already so its going away soon. These are such great cars but modified there are fragile at best. Im going to go American v-8 next I think. Again, sorry this happened. Youve been on here awhile now. Good luck

Not an oil pickup problem -- the rebuild included a Killer B pickup.

So far my leading candidates via Googling are Tbelt/skipped timing or oil pump failure. A compression check may shed some light but it'll be a while before I attempt it. If it was just a bearing or something I don't see how it would prevent the engine from running - it'd just make a lot of racket while doing so. Same thing if it was something like a separated crank pulley - it'd make noise but the engine should run.

I can't afford to do anything else to the car. Another engine is totally out of the question, even if it's just to get it sold. I own a small business and it's taking every dime I have to keep it going during this wonderful economy.

Oh damn, that sucks. :( Sucks twice as bad that we're going to be losing you from our community. :( :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I felt the same way when my 08s motor went at 32k. As far as I was concerned, regardless of warranty or not I was done with it. After a couple of weeks of driving around in the dealer loaner Outback, it was a godsend to have my spec b back.. Glad I didn't walk away from it now.

Good luck in whichever direction you take.

For the record, the folks at TurboTime that built the engine have offered a free diagnostic. I just don't know when I could get it there. At least I am a UHaul dealer now so a trailer is no problem :D

But, if it isn't something warrantiable (and I'd trust their determination), I'd have to do something about paying to fix it. That's the harder part.

haha well don't give up !! i was pissed after mine started knocking after a week with brand new crank new h beam rods and weiscos.! i still don't know what the hell happened there..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived