LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT... Is it worth the price? Help pleaseeee!

Books

Hi I'm new to this forum, I'm currently in the market for a 2005 LGT. I've found one with 130k miles for $5,500. The question I'm dying to know the answer to is, Is this car actually worth the price? P.S. the dealer is requesting I pay in cash

P.P.S It will be my first car

Looks like it has an aftermarket intake and the corner lights are cleared. I wonder what else was done? Do you have $ saved for potential "issues"?

I barely have enough money for the car itself let alone potential "issues". Do you think that I should continue looking?

A 4th gen LGT is not a good first car. Do a bit of research on turbo failures and engine failures in these cars. If you're looking at one of these and it has a new turbo but not a new engine RUN AWAY. I'd hate to see you come back in 3 months because there's a rod through the block.

My first car was a 96 legacy L. 2.2L engine and a 5 speed. One of the most indestructible cars subaru made....

Title: Clean

Interior : Good

Mileage : 131,234

It's completely stock aswell

It just got brand new tires, dealership maintained

:lol:

It has cheap wheels, cleared corners, a cold air intake, awful tail light covers, and at least cheap aftermarket mufflers. The quality of mods should tell you the previous owner probably did things cheaply.

If that dealer told you it's stock, they're either dumb AF or they saw you coming.

Buyer beware.

A 4th gen LGT is not a good first car. Do a bit of research on turbo failures and engine failures in these cars. If you're looking at one of these and it has a new turbo but not a new engine RUN AWAY. I'd hate to see you come back in 3 months because there's a rod through the block.

My first car was a 96 legacy L. 2.2L engine and a 5 speed. One of the most indestructible cars subaru made....

I lucked out with mine, but could easily have gotten screwed by this.

That said: I'd like to echo the sentiment that this isn't a good car to buy if you can't afford to perform major repairs if necessary.

Since you're okay with an automatic, maybe look into 3.0R's. It's not quite as sporty as the 2.5GT, and harder to modify with go fast parts, but they are still powerful and very smooth, and avoid the potential reliability pitfalls associated with turbocharging. If it were possible to get a 6 cylinder with a manual behind it in the US, I would have had a tough decision.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this? Please call me out if I'm talking out of my ass on the H6's, I only really have experience with the newer 3.6R's.

The 3.0R is a very reliable car! However, like any car, don't just go buy the first one you find. If it's being sold with sketchy details at a sktechy dealer and has weird stuff done, run away. Any car that wasn't taken care of well won't be reliable in the long run.

If I was in your situation I would look for a newer wrx put a couple grand down. Save the rest and enjoy the hell out of it stockish until it's paid off, then do what you want with it. Same platform as the 4th gen lgt but with more aftermarket support.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I dunno how old you are, but if you're under like 25, especially if it's your first car, insurance is gonna be something RIDICULOUS. When I was 18 my insurance company quoted me $2000/year for a wrx. I think I ended up paying $500/year for a 96 legacy...

If you want a legacy make it an 2.5NA. Don't go messing around with a GT just yet. They are like princesses. High maintenance for little return.

Speaking from the point of view of the princess.... I'd say there's a huge return from messing around with one :lol:

I think it's a great car, but that isn't the one for you, at least not at 5500. You could probably buy it at 5k, but you may just want to look for a more honest example. You may pay more for it, but it would be worth it.

The cars are great and the engines put out a lot of power. I've had excellent luck with mine.

130k miles at $5500 when its stickered at 7999 and CL'ed at 5999? The replacement intake is a clue that your should save your pennies for something in better shape. At 130k, it's overdue for an engine rebuild too - which will cost 3k-10k additional.

Archived