LegacyGT.com

Power windows help???

Hey there guys first time user here on these forums. I've been lurking for a while here and there when I was in need of information pertaining my vehicle (2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium). However, I've been looking all day today and I cannot find a solution to my problem.

So here's the problem. My power windows do not work at all for my vehicle apart from the window on the driver side. Only one button is lit up (the driver power window side) and the rest are all unlit and not functioning. I've tried on all sides to lower the windows and they do not work at all. I believe that this started to occur today. Is this an issue with the fuses? Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks and looking forward to communicating with you guys!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2015 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 2-35.

While you're at it, please fill out the rest of your profile, especially the vehicle information. That way we'll always know what specific vehicle/trim you're talking about. And welcome to the forum!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thanks for the replies guys and for the advice. No they're not frozen shut. Luckily, it hasn't been that cold around here. But if you're referring to the state of the windows rather than the temperature then yes they are. They don't budge at all!!! Good thing I don't need to really open my windows right now due to the chilly winds we get here in Chicago.

Have you checked the obvious first - did you make sure you didn't accidentally turn on the window lock?
Yes, that was the first thing I checked. You just hit lock again to disable the window lock right? Even though the windows aren't that necessary right now it's still an annoying occurrence. Thanks for the reply!

Try re-initializing your power windows per the manual. When I replaced my battery I had similar non-operational windows until I did this. From the manual (p. 2-35):

Initialization of power window

If the vehicle s battery is disconnected due to situations such as battery or fuse replacement, the following functions are deactivated:

One-touch auto up/down function. Anti-entrapment function (driver's and front passenger's windows)

Initialize the power window in the following procedure to reactivate such functions.

1. Close the driver's door.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

3. Open the driver's side window halfway by pushing down the power window switch.

4. Pull up the power window switch and close the window completely. Continue pulling up the switch for approximately 1 second after the window is closed completely.

Try re-initializing your power windows per the manual. When I replaced my battery I had similar non-operational windows until I did this. From the manual (p. 2-35):

Initialization of power window

If the vehicle s battery is disconnected due to situations such as battery or fuse replacement, the following functions are deactivated:

One-touch auto up/down function. Anti-entrapment function (driver's and front passenger's windows)

Initialize the power window in the following procedure to reactivate such functions.

1. Close the driver's door.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

3. Open the driver's side window halfway by pushing down the power window switch.

4. Pull up the power window switch and close the window completely. Continue pulling up the switch for approximately 1 second after the window is closed completely.

Yes as upstater said, that's only for the automatic windows. I've already tried that. I'm waiting on my fuses. Maybe it's just that?

that will fix the auto up/down, but do nothing if 3 of the windows are not working from the switches.

I realize that's how it's supposed to work, but as I said, after I replaced my battery my other 3 windows were completely inoperative and after I followed this procedure they functioned again.

I realize that's how it's supposed to work, but as I said, after I replaced my battery my other 3 windows were completely inoperative and after I followed this procedure they functioned again.

How is following the procedure to set the top and bottom travel of the front window auto up/down going to work if the switch isn’t currently operating the window in question, and in any case, how would you do that for the rear windows that don’t even have that function?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How is following the procedure to set the top and bottom travel of the front window auto up/down going to work if the switch isn’t currently operating the window in question, and in any case, how would you do that for the rear windows that don’t even have that function?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I said, the "three other windows were completely inoperative". The driver's window worked but top and bottom travel and auto open/close needed to be reset. Once the reset procedure was followed for the driver's window, all other windows began functioning as normal.

As I said, the "three other windows were completely inoperative". The driver's window worked but top and bottom travel and auto open/close needed to be reset. Once the reset procedure was followed for the driver's window, all other windows began functioning as normal.

I'm going to guess that "correlation is not causation" applies in your circumstance, only because I had to reset my window auto function multiple times in a Subaru before, and that action (disconnecting/reconnecting the battery) neither prevented nor caused the rear windows not to work, it only stopped the Auto up/down function from working, which the procedure you outlined is used to correct.

In any case, the OP has already tried what you suggested, and it didn't fix his problem, so obviously it isn't the cause of his issue.

OP, if they aren't frozen shut, it is either a fuse/relay or a faulty override switch (the switch that allows the driver to lock out the other three windows)

Archived