LegacyGT.com

Twisty's Dumb Questions (aka Smokey's progress thread)

^That's awkward

not really, since i already knew they werent supposed to. when i bought them all i wanted were the springs, he wouldnt break them down and i wouldnt pay more, so i got the full set up because he was sick of arguing. the backs really are direct fit, and ive heard the fronts can fit with a bit of hole manipulation. the one thing i cant seem to find is the actual length of the struts from top to bottom. that is the only thing i can see getting in my way for the fitment.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, thats what ive heard. again, i havent measured how far off they are, and ive read that some have made one of the holes oval instead of round to make it fit. id rather buy the correct struts for my car than do that tho. the backs are direct fit, there is no difference in holes. i have had them on my car to prove that.

i was saying the only thing i could think of that would make these not work is if they were noticeably shorter from mount holes to spring base, but that i couldnt find any info on those measurements. anywhere. i never said they were different lengths, just that i didnt know if they were or not.

• 1 month later...
yeah, i sanded the paint off of the points that were painted, and the bare engine points are rust/ grime free as well. im going to go back and revisit those points, as well as the factory points to see what kind of shape the cables are in now.

is yours installed like this? http://www.paranoidfabrications.com/directions/subarurs00/subarurs2000.htm

mine is installed following that, and it made a major difference in my car with overall running and idling smoothness.

i didnt do it that way, but i may redo it to see if it makes a difference. cable is free from work, and ill have lots of time to mess with it after i get this civic motor installed.

just bought a used engine and 5spd trans last night for my daughters civic. going to do a auto to man swap soon, and get her engine replaced so i can get smokey back and work on him. all new vacuum lines and a rear spoiler is in his future.

is what a wagon? her civic? its a 3 door hatch. the one in my work parking lot is a wagon as well as mine being one... i also had a red wagon as a kid, but i painted it orange. and then black. also may be going to look at a 79 corona wagon (fastback wagon) that looks to be in pristine condition. wait, what was i talking about again?

smokey is indeed a wagon. he will soon have a spoiler on as well, i like the look. i just need to finish this damn swap first so i can get my car back from my daughter. sucky part is, my twins turn 16 in 2 weeks and will likely start driving smokey as well. i hope he survives the kid years so i can get back to working on him.

• 2 weeks later...
i got my truck running and back in the driveway! now the push to get the civic done in the next week or so and i can get back on fixing up smokey. if anyone ever comes across the need to bleed a clutch system that has no bleed valves, let me know. im a pro at it now.

I think I may need that info on my 97!

yup, same build as my 01. let me know, ill give you all the info i found over 2 months of reading and talking to mechanics that kept telling me "just crack the bleeder... what? theres no bleeder? why?".

Hahaha I have no idea, although I know all it needs is a difference in signal.

Maybe there was just enough left for it to work. My question is, if it looked like that, how on earth was that to get out of the bung?

dont know, once we cracked the initial tightness it was smooth coming out. that is the upstream o2 as well, not sure how i wasnt noticing that while driving. lucky i guess.

• 3 months later...

ive had like 7 dumb questions to ask, but ive been so busy i never got around to asking them. now i cant remember what they were.

last night at my buddys shop i was checking the AC out, it didnt work when i bought the car. pulled the scraeder valves to check em after hearing a bit of a leak out of the low side and the springs seemed very weak. replaced those, charged up the system and its blowing really cold now! while we had the hood up, my daughter decided it was time to pull the weird rubber shields off theheadlights and clean them. turned out nice! the PO must have put them on when they were new.

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/9242/img20130610174259942.jpg

also had a chance to play with one of these cars. what a trip they are.

http://imageshack.us/a/img221/4302/img201305301607034101.jpg

im also in the process of looking for two passenger side doors for the GT. we have taken to calling him lefty, since my daughter crippled the right side of the car.

I seem to be a bit late to the party but for anyone reading from the first page; race land coil overs are garbage unless all you care about is going low. They're for those Volkswagen douches who love replacing oil pans and always need to have "more low"

ive seen plenty of people say they have gotten better ones from raceland than was available previously, and actually liked how they handled. either way, im going with a spring/ strut combo when i upgrade the suspension in both my cars. one is going to be the stock DD, the other will be my toy/ project. not thinking of tracking either of them at this point, but will see what the future brings.

I seem to be a bit late to the party but for anyone reading from the first page; race land coil overs are garbage unless all you care about is going low. They're for those Volkswagen douches who love replacing oil pans and always need to have "more low"

Most agreed, they are budget coilovers and you get what you pay for imo, I wouldn't mind putting some on my dd..I have never been a fan of coilovers because of the ride,but you can buy tein coils with the edfc and customize your ride comfort but those are about 3g's and out the door...again you get what you pay for.

Strut spring combos with these cars apparently are the way to go as per like 30 2nd gen owners.

• 3 weeks later...