LegacyGT.com

Experience changing spark plugs?

pfoyle

My 2010 LGT has a misfire in cylinder 4 when running any non-Stock ECU map, which seems likely to be the spark plugs (50k miles on car, ~5k miles were pro-tuned stage 1+)... I would LOVE to avoid the dealership and do this work myself, but I don't have the knowledge/experience or tools for this job... Though from my understanding the spark plug swap is the same for 4th gens and 5th gens?

Does anyone local-ish have the knowledge and desire to help me out? I'll provide the beers and spark plugs (and whatever else) necessary to complete the job... Obviously I could travel to wherever is most convenient for you, as you would be doing me a huge favor!

I know that this is a bit of an odd request, but figured it was worth asking if any gear-heads are willing to help in exchange for some beers and a desire to test-drive a stage 1+ 5th gen (with brand new spark plugs!), before I pay the dealership $250ish for this job... Let me know! TIA!

• Mega Users

good luck. I almost jumped off the roof of my house while changing mine it was so bad.

i bet the next time around will be easier.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I've pulled engines, pulled trannies to swap clutches, pulled the turbo several times, changed CV boots, I still bring the car someplace for the spark plugs... It's a crappy job..

You can do it! Lots of great DIY threads here. I planned for the worst, but I'd rate the job as moderately difficult. Not because it is technically challenging, but more because of the space you have to work with. If you have any basic wrenching experience, it can be done.

In the end, I used a stubby 3/8" drive, a 5/8 plug socket, a swivel, 10mm socket for the coil packs, pliers for the air assist hose clamps, anti-seize, ramps and a 3" extension for hand threading.

See my post

God hates a coward. Get in there and do it yourself. It's just spark plugs, fer krisake. Don't let some spark plugs emasculate you.

(Actually, it sucks, but you have to prove to yourself that you can do it. After that, other work looks much easier.)

• Mega Users
(Actually, it sucks, but you have to prove to yourself that you can do it. After that, other work looks much easier.)

LOL, this. I proved to myself that I can do it, now I will never do it again:lol:

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
I'm in the camp of this being an easier job than it's made out to be. Space is tight, sure--but not impossible by any means. I had very little frustration when I changed mine--couple of relaxed hours and it was done. YMMV.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I watched Motive do mine a couple weeks ago when he did the leakdown test

seemed fairly easy to do (w/ proper tools)

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's not bad at all. I procrastinated a bit but once I got into it, it's a pretty basic job.

I did hit a point where I needed just tiny bit of extra space to get ratchet off the extension and to pull extension and socket out of the hole, but I saw a thread on another forum about using your floorjack handle between frame and engine to move engine just enough to get the tools out. When finished you will be like "wow sure am glad I didn't pay someone to do that."

Archived