LegacyGT.com

18" Summer tyres suitable for the odd track day?

Hoojammyflip

My JDM Legcay 2.0GT spec.B runs 18x7" wheels as standard with 215/45/18 tyres on...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/hoojamyflip/Legacy%20Twinscroll/20150205_171343_LLS_zpsacd9cb99.jpg

I have recently purchased some 18x7.5" Prodive GT1s to use as summer wheels... and was hoping to get some tyres like Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tyres, like the newish STis run, as I have heard they work well on the road and on the track. Unfortunately they only seem to be available in 17" or 20"

I also have some 17" wheels that I was planning to put winter tyres on to keep me safe when it gets a little cold ;)

Any recommendations on suitable summer tyres for the 18" wheels that will also work well on the odd track day? - I ran Toyo T1 Sports 255/50/17s on the 17s the last time on the track and they were definately the weak link :lol: (apart from my feeble driving skils of course :spin: )

Thanks guys...

I don't know what is available in the UK, but over here you'd want the Dunlop Direzza Z2 Star Spec or Hankook RS3 version 2 if you do track days.

OEM tires, like the RE070, are typically expensive and aren't as fast as other similar tires.

Bridgestone has the RE 71R out now, which is proving to be a sticky tire for autocross (or autoslalom or gymkhana or whatever you guys call it), but there isn't a lot of data on lapping them yet.

Thanks for the feedback I will look at those...

I'm not after an ultimate track tyre though just something that will suit my car better than the Toyo T1 sports which have been great on the road - but were a bit squirmy on the track...

The Yokohama AD08R tyres seem to get glowing reviews - and are available in the size I want. Might be worth a try even though a little on the pricey side ;)

Nothing wrong with AD08Rs. As you said they are expensive, and some of the other tires whitetiger listed are just as fast, if not faster, for less.

I would imagine most 18 inch tires with a 50 profile would feel squirmy. Stick to a 40 profile and it'll maintain a good balance between performance and ride comfort (comfort is subjective :lol:) And FWIW, I would stick to a 225 or at most 235 on a 7.5 inch wheel

Archived