LegacyGT.com

Question on timing belt install on EJ22E

Replaced all my seals, water pump,idlers and timing belt on my 1995 2.2. the R.H. pulley( passenger side) and crank gear line up perfectly to marks and notches with the belt on. The L.H. pulley (drivers side) the mark is either past the notch. or if you jump it back one tooth is way before notch in the cover. The position with it a little past notch, there's a factory paint mark on the pulley which lines up on center with the cam sensor. replaced back covers with new ones. Used a gates TCK254 timing belt kit. Car starts and runs fine. Question is there at tooth count for the belt from cam pulley LH, to crank Pulley,and to RH Cam pulley?

there is a tooth count,

but i'm not exactly sure what it is so i will not say.

i know the count on one side, driver?, is something and a half.

but as long as the hash mark is straight up at 12 o'clock,

it is right.

and as you pointed out. moving it one tooth would make it further off.

ignore any paint marks.

they mean nothing.

Thanks a lot fellows for the info. thinking maybe that new cover notch maybe a little off. first subaru timing belt I have done. 198,000 on the car had it for five years. Way past due for timing belt change. some of the idlers sound like roller skates. torqued everything to spec.

Bought another gates timing belt from rockauto, only $21, to count the teeth from their paint lines on the belt. Sure enough 44th on right to center crank mark(passenger side). 40.5th on the left drivers side to center mark( drivers side). I'm off one tooth. Going to put on belt correctly this weekend and remark the rear cover on drivers side for correct alignment. I mechanicaly time machines at work all the time and always make sure they are right on.

Thanks for the tip John. I realize the belt will stretch a little as it takes a set. just as the chains due on machines I time at work. Marking the crank pulley on the ouside is a great idea. The marks are lineing up the same, Im just off a tooth on the drivers side.

• 2 years later...

Archived