LegacyGT.com

KCA399 install - on car and w/o hydraulic press

Impulse

Had some time today and installed the KCA399 bushing to try to correct a camber induced toe problem on my right rear tire. I did NOT have access to a good long box wrench or hydraulic press, so I tried to see if i could do this with only the master ball joint/u joint puller set from Advance Auto. Worst case is that i would walk it down to the shop two blocks away and have them press the bushings out.

Note: This car spent ~5 years in the rust belt and I've had horrible experiences with the removal of any/all bolts that I've worked on under the car. The fact that I'm installing these bushings is because the toe bolts are seized and can't correct for the toe out caused by the excessive (-1.2) camber.

Good guide with pictures:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rear-camber-adjustment-whiteline-kca399-install-188434.html?t=188434&highlight=kca399

Good comments on what size sockets to use for pressing bushings out:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installing-wl-kca399-bushings-without-pressi-188212.html?t=188212&highlight=kca399+bushings

After PB blasting everything down I was able to break the outside bolts loose, but could not break the bolts loose on the inside of the arm -1st hurdle. I thought I was screwed already, but i decided to go for it and disconnected the front part of the arm from the knuckle. I decided to try pushing it out with the ball joint puller because i had nothing to loose - I couldn't get the arm disconnected from the other end anyway. Following XTOUTBACK05's experience, I played around with a combination of pushing/receiving tubes from the rented kit, 15/16 and 1-1/4 sockets to eventually push the bushing out. Lots of brute force required to crank that bushing out (I'm a 5'10", 145lb asian guy... lots of fast twitch muscle strength though!). I started out pushing on the bushing with the 15/16 socket, but after i got it started I just cranked on the metal middle of the bushing with the ball joint puller. It popped out after a few dozen turns.

I don't know if i got lucky or not, but it is definitely possible to do this ON the car and WITHOUT a hydraulic press with only rented tools! It wasn't very applicable to me this time, but a good tip is to put the middle metal part in the freezer for a few hours. This shrinks the part, making it easier to slide into the poly bushings when during installation :wub:

Pic1: Braced the U joint up against the car, cranked on it lifting with my thighs.

Pic2: Another view, i couldn't get the rear bolt to break loose as my 1/2 breaker bar could not get in there. I only had my "10 box wrench (bad leverage and I'm not THAT strong)

Pic 3: Bushing mostly pushed out, had to switch to a different receiving cup and line it up with the metal part of the bushing to push the rest of it out.

Pic 4: New bushing all installed! Had to fanangle it a bit to get in there..

Work smarter, not harder! :iam:

KCA399_1.thumb.jpg.8f850cd15ef46f6a5732be83136ac123.jpg

KCA399_2.thumb.jpg.252cdbfb494a14da50926f328d64dd7f.jpg

KCA399_3.thumb.jpg.9fcdb022a974551bb0b379f7d719d539.jpg

KCA399_4.thumb.jpg.c81d69a80d8e1a75f134031de1645ca0.jpg

Archived