LegacyGT.com

Got a new axle installed as a result of a torn Cv boot...and now rough idle

Just as the title states. I understand theres little correlation between the two but does anyone have a clue as to why this would happen. The car literally shakes in first gear up to 2000 rpm. I don't know if they hit something, or its coincidental but I'm obviously concerned.

im gonna guess that it was the passenger side front axle that was replaced. if so, both 02 sensor wires are in that general vicinity, sorta.

no CEL? you say up to 2000rpm. is that when you rev it, or when you drive it?

Yes passenger side and when I drive it. It also shakes at idle, too. I google'd it and found out that the mechanic might not have replaced the axle with a genuine Subaru one and that could be the problem which I hope is. Not throwing any CEL's though.

it may, it may not. it depends how a wire is damaged. the only way to daig a running issue, other than visually finding the issue is to monitor your sensor outputs with a diag tool and look for things out of norm. now im just speculating here based on your description. if you think the issue is a direct cause of the axle install, take it back and have them shop find it.

Oh I did. I generally go to the Subaru dealership for all maintenance but my dad recommended this mechanic to me so I tried him. The kid told me that it was my fuel injectors and had the audacity to tell me that it came in the shop that way. I said it's definitely not the fuel injectors, too coincidental. Honestly, I really don't like the shop so I may take it to the dealership and see if they can find the problem first. The 'mechanic' also suggested I come in for a tuneup, I said no

Oh I did. I generally go to the Subaru dealership for all maintenance but my dad recommended this mechanic to me so I tried him. The kid told me that it was my fuel injectors and had the audacity to tell me that it came in the shop that way. I said it's definitely not the fuel injectors, too coincidental. Honestly, I really don't like the shop so I may take it to the dealership and see if they can find the problem first. The 'mechanic' also suggested I come in for a tuneup, I said no

you need to go back to the dealer.

Would an access port be able to diagnose a damaged 02 wire?

possibly. check AF Learning 1. it would be all over the place (+ and -) while cruising if the front o2 sensor itself was the issue. I can't say if it will show the same way if the wire is damaged.

im wondering if he disconnected the battery for some reason. if the battery is disconnected on a higher mileage car it will cause a rough idle til it relearns the idle airflow if there is build-up at the throttle plate.

Well the AF Learning 1 stayed in the positives, went up to 2.3 I'll be taking it to the dealer soon so we'll see what happens

As soon as I read this I realized I said look at AF Learning. I meant to say AF Correction 1. My bad.

AF Correction 1 will be all over the place while cruising if the o2 is bad.

Ok, thanks stoplight, I'll check it out when I'm cruising to the dealer today. By any chance, do you drive on 130 near Delran? I could have sworn I had seen your car in the summer.

Archived