LegacyGT.com

18x8 +40, will it work??

jeepr

I've found some BBS wheels I'd really like. They are 18x8, but they are 40 offset. I plan to run 235/40/18 tires. Everything pretty much says I need to be in the 43-48 offset range. Anyone have any experience to know if 40 will rub on the fenders? This is on an 08 Spec B, stock ride height (for now).

My brother put 17"x7.5" with 235 wide dunlop star specs on his spec b, he's got swift springs and he had to roll his fenders. The wheels have a 38mm offset, I'm guessing that you will have to roll your fenders.

Thanks for answering guys. That's a bummer, I've been looking and can never find anything I like that fits, and ran across the BBS RS-GT, and REALLY like them, and there is a pretty good deal on them right now. But, they are +40. Back to the drawing board :(

http://www.bbs-usa.com/wheel_images/wheelPic_8-28-2006_1078.jpg

Check my math here guys. People are running 18x8.5 +48 with 235/40/18 successfully, right? Maybe even +45? Without rolling?

Well, 8.5 inches is 215.9mm. Half of that is 107.95. Take out the 48mm offset, and that leaves 59.95mm on the outside of the wheel, right?

The 8 inches is 203.20mm. Half of that is 101.6, take out the 40mm offset, and that leaves 61.6mm on the outside.

So, that would say this combo I want is only 1.5mm further out than a known working combo, right? It would actually be tucked in about 1.5mm more than 18x8.5 +45 that, according to xenonk's thread, works.

In other words, this wheel I want in 18x8 +40 is actually going to be between an 18x8.5 +45 and +48 as far as how much it sticks out.

Am I calculating something wrong here?

I think you mean 235!!! and yes many people run that size. Also, your math looks correct and would require a fender roll.

Check my math here guys. People are running 18x8.5 +48 with 325/40/18 successfully, right? Maybe even +45? Without rolling?

Well, 8.5 inches is 215.9mm. Half of that is 107.95. Take out the 48mm offset, and that leaves 59.95mm on the outside of the wheel, right?

The 8 inches is 203.20mm. Half of that is 101.6, take out the 40mm offset, and that leaves 61.6mm on the outside.

So, that would say this combo I want is only 1.5mm further out than a known working combo, right? It would actually be tucked in about 1.5mm more than 18x8.5 +45 that, according to xenonk's thread, works.

In other words, this wheel I want in 18x8 +40 is actually going to be between an 18x8.5 +45 and +48 as far as how much it sticks out.

Am I calculating something wrong here?

Scobby Fan, that site is awesome! It made me realize my calculations are flawed. While the wheel is narrower, the tire is not, thus with 40mm offset, it will stick out slightly more than the others.

But, I'm really tempted to give it a try.

Just throwing my thoughts. I have an 05 LGT dropped an inch or so.

2 months ago I put on anthracite BBS CH's 18x8 +35, w/tires that are standard 225/40/18.

I did a basic rear fender roll, and plenty of room in rear.

The fronts, I have not rolled, however have rubbed a tad bit around a fast dipping corner.

Good luck

Archived