LegacyGT.com

Gas mileage stats

Just thought I'd post the numbers I'm getting on my '05 Legacy GT wagon (non-Limited). I would say I'm doing mostly back roads, maybe 10-20% highway, with some stretches of peppy driving when the traffic and conditions allow. I probably max out at about 75-80 on the highway with spirited acceleration away from the toll booths. I generally drive with the AC off as it's not hot enough around here. The trip computer reports 22.5 MPG for the same 1440 miles. I have not checked the tire pressure lately - probably should.

subaru.JPG.a4934ec5c832130c42f8ed24622e6696.JPG

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='jaycee']Just thought I'd post the numbers I'm getting on my '05 Legacy GT wagon (non-Limited). I would say I'm doing mostly back roads, maybe 10-20% highway, with some stretches of peppy driving when the traffic and conditions allow. I probably max out at about 75-80 on the highway with spirited acceleration away from the toll booths. I generally drive with the AC off as it's not hot enough around here. The trip computer reports 22.5 MPG for the same 1440 miles. I have not checked the tire pressure lately - probably should.[/quote] my avg's since i got my GT have been as follows: 19.5 20.4 20.1

Are those figures people are quoting calculated from actual gas purchased versus miles traveled or are they from the trip computer in the dash? I've found the trip computer overestimates MPG by a couple of miles per gallon.

[quote name='jaycee']Are those figures people are quoting calculated from actual gas purchased versus miles traveled or are they from the trip computer in the dash? I've found the trip computer overestimates MPG by a couple of miles per gallon.[/quote] I don't have the exact numbers with me, but my guesstimates come up to the dash reading low, not high. I should probably keep track next time.

[quote name='jaycee']Are those figures people are quoting calculated from actual gas purchased versus miles traveled or are they from the trip computer in the dash? I've found the trip computer overestimates MPG by a couple of miles per gallon.[/quote] mine are based off of how many miles i've gone from when i filled up, to filling up. # of gallons filled/how many miles on trip = mpg's i got in that run.

[quote name='jaycee']Are those figures people are quoting calculated from actual gas purchased versus miles traveled or are they from the trip computer in the dash? I've found the trip computer overestimates MPG by a couple of miles per gallon.[/quote] That's right. The computer is consistantly overestimating MPG. You need to do it the old fashioned way to come up with your REAL MPG. Mark

I agree. I averaged 19.9 mpg on my first full tank. Mix of lots of short trips around town and a couple longer freeway runs at 80-90 mph. I was constantly varying my speed for break-in, so I figured mileage would be less than stellar. The trip computer said 22.4 mpg, so it was definately optimistic versus the calculated mileage.

I've written every gas stop down to the type, fuel stats, etc.... If I get some time in the next several days I'll throw it up. I know I've seen over 29 on the little gauge on traffic. Franz was with me, that was when we were cruising between Milwaukee to Chicago doing around 80 and it was still going up. :O It may not have been 29.4 or whatever it read, but it still had to be more than 25. That was until we hit our two toll booths and about 20 miles of stop and go traffic. :( I still think we averaged mid-20's on that trip. :) Around me there is a bunch of hills after every stop on the 4-6 mile drive out to our place (depends where we're coming from, school, shopping, etc), so most of that is the 18-20 range and I do hit plenty of boost. So I'm not on the good side of the winning mileage situation there. Alright, I'll see when I can get you guys the facts. Sleep time here. *yawn*

The highest my computer has read was 30.9 on the highway. Depending on where I got my gas, it might say I'm averaging mid 25's to mid 27's. It rarely ever dips below say the 24's. I haven't figured actual mileage lately, but I ballparked it the first tank or two and the gauge seemed pretty close. I have seen that where you get your gas can make a BIG difference. As much as 4-5 mpg difference.

[quote name='llmask']my display is around 15-19 mpg. if the computer is an overestimate, then im probably getting 12-16 mpg! the reason is i have the ac on most of the time (its hot!).[/quote] Huh? You need to get your car checked out....we run the climate control in auto. sp that means that the air conditioner is on all the time also, and we NEVER get less than 22 mpg (on the display at least). Something's wrong if you are only getting teens!! Mark

I have gotten about these numbers. My commute is 2 miles away (no highway) and I go home for lunch every day. That really hurts mileage. Its about the same as I got for the WRX. I expect it to go down a little once we start getting into the winter. 15.8 16.2 16

I've been doing a mix of highway/city driving (40-60) and I've been averaging around 22-24 mpg. I estimated the first couple of fillups/mileage and I got 20-21 on the first tank and now it has been around 24-25 since. From Indy to Chicago I got 25.5 mpg, and that was doing 70-80 most of the way. Although I did hit my 1000 miles on the way up so I did open her up a couple times. But when I look at the 'realtime' mpg estimates it fluctuates wildly, I can be cruising on the highway and go from 25 to 65 mpg while maintaining speed. As a side note, I forgot my iPass so I had to use change at the toll booth and I'm glad I did! I launched out of a couple booths and all I could think was 'holy crap!' (I did say it out loud now that I think of it). What fun! Glad my breakin is over! :)

I'm getting horrible gas milage. Had to cut back my acceleration habits from my WRX. Even while trying to take it easy I have never seen better than 16.9 MPG on the display. My (bumped to 300HP) WRX always got 20MPG in the same area, with much greater acceleration. The car is definitely running rich, as my mufflers are totally black. Don't really know what I can do except get a reflash of some sort..

[quote name='kanoswrx']I have gotten about these numbers. My commute is 2 miles away (no highway) and I go home for lunch every day. That really hurts mileage. Its about the same as I got for the WRX. I expect it to go down a little once we start getting into the winter. 15.8 16.2 16[/quote] same here - 98% city, 2% highway. so maybe that accounts for my low mileage.

I drive about an hour each day. Mostly in stop and go traffic. I have reset the MPG estimator several times and I still get around 19.5 MPG avg. When I drive on the highway I get around 22/23 MPG (I am a little agressive on the pedal). When people pull up next to me, I have some how acquired the attitude 'What you think you are faster than me?' and I press harder on the gas pedal. I thought I was more grown up than that, but it is too much fun.

[quote name='skibud2']When people pull up next to me, I have some how acquired the attitude 'What you think you are faster than me?' and I press harder on the gas pedal. I thought I was more grown up than that, but it is too much fun.[/quote] hahaha. just did it today in the cross bronx expwy. some toyota behind me coming up fast and i was saying "oohhh, you dont do that to me.. no, not with this car... YOU DONT DO ThAT TO ME!!!" anyways, got gas from a diff station, havent used AC, reset the counter and 50miles into to the new tank, and mpg reading 19.5 - 19.8.

I'm at nearly 7100 miles now. My calculated best and worst using miles driven (I reset one of the trip odometers with every tank and gallons on receipt) are 28.47 and 20.15. The computer for these tanks showed 29.1 and 21.3. The computer is just over 1 mpg high for me on average (1.19 to be exact). I'd say I drive way more highway miles than I do city/surface streets. In fact 3500 or so of these miles were just put on in a span of 2 weeks. The wife and I did a nice long road trip from Seattle through Yellowstone, Jackson Hole WY, Denver and back. This car is a fantastic grand touring mobile! Nice and smooth on the highway and tons of fun on the twisties! :wink: :lol: BTW, I highly recommend the Beartooth pass in South central Montana. 10,947 feet with twisties galore. :evil: For the record I've only used the highest octane available. 92 here in the greater Seattle area and 91 in those higher elevations of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. Cheers! -Ian

Archived