LegacyGT.com

What are the TMIC options now?

NSFW

I know two people who need TMICs and I don't know what to tell them. I haven't been paying attention for a while so I don't even know what the options are anymore.

Has anyone tried to put the Process West 08+WRX TMIC on a Legacy yet?

AVO

Perrin

IPR (looks suspiciously like Perrin)

What else?

Has anyone done a good write-up of how to put together a DIY TMIC for Legacy-style turbos? I seem to remember reading something about that a long time ago but now all I can find is a thread about a TMIC for STI-style turbos. (Which is pretty cool, just not what I'm looking for.)

Thanks!

I'm in the market for one too NSFW. I'm looking for some feedback on the Torque Solution one and so far it looks a lot like Perrin without the engine cover tabs. I guess that means it's just like the IPR one too but said to be produced in the US versus overseas.

I'd like to get my engine cover back on with which ever one I use as I know it's (somewhat) functional in that it seals to the hood and helps to force air through the IC.

I don't know that anyone's actually installed a Torque Solution TMIC yet though so I don't think there's any real feedback on it yet.

In for more impressions on all that are offered.

Cheers!

I'd like to see the Process West unit on an LGT. It's the only non-custom unit that you can use an LGT or STI fitment turbo with.

A guy on NASIOC made 413whp on one running 93 octane!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2119560

I'm pretty sure the hood scoop duct won't work with our hoods, though. :(

Someone on here has the PW on his car but, as stated, the duct is a no-go. There is a rumor that PW has a LGT duct in the works, though. It's gotta be the biggest TMIC for our application (stock LGT fitment, anyway). The IPR's new go for what a used Perrin/AVO run. I picked up a used AVO a few weeks back for $525. Surprising to me, it stayed available for about a week and a half before I got it. People report the same fitment issues with the IPR as they do the Perrin so I would assume the Torque Solutions is no different.

I spent about a week researching and starting to source parts for a DIY setup, as the Perrin and AVO which were the main choice at the time were way over priced. I decided that if I was going to buy pipes/couplers and a core, I might as well just do a FMIC.

I really wanted to stay with the TMIC to reduce pipes and leak potential and overall complexity of my setup though and just as my JB Welded stock unit was starting to separate again, the IPR group buy happened.

I went with the IPR mainly due to price. It was under $500 shipped with the Swain Tech thermal coating (flat black). This is certainly a Perrin unit without the badging or upper tabs and was initially meant for the WRX. It was just as easy to install as a Perrin (which is to say not easy at all) and in the end this worked out for me. It's been on for 5k+ miles, and reinstalled once while doing my clutch and no issues thus far. I was even able to make the engine cover lock in nicely with no pop-its installed or hacking of the cover.

I have sold a few TS TMIC's now. Just waiting for customer feedback. AVO is still out of stock AFAIK. I bought all of Perrins stock last month. Hence my ongoing sale of those ($665 delivered).

I can't go as low as the IPR in price on the TS. They just cost more. According to TS they are Made in the USA and carry a lifetime warranty.

When I upgrade my intercooler, i'm probably just going with a RacerX FMIC.

Unless... I could have sworn reading in this thread -> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ht=custom+tmic that the IC was for STI style turbos. If there is a DIY TMIC for LGT style turbos, i'm all in for it. Does anybody know of a DIY for a LGT style turbo?

• 2 years later...
Im wondering the same. Trying to go stage 2 and prefer to get a bigger tmic as opposed to the bulletproof tmic kit. Seems like used ones are hard to come by and still not cheap. Would love to get avo or perrin just for name/quality but my xmas bonus is limiting my budget.

Don't go cheap. The torque solution and other imitators are junk. Figment is horrible and you would be better off with the stock tmic since that will cool better than them. I had an imitation tmic and ever since I switched to process west I see the light. I knew my aftermarket tmic wasn't very good but I didn't know how inefficient it was

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

After having run that custom TMIC with the RX7 vmount, I can tell you right now that it would be absolute hell, if not impossible, to use a flanged turbo with the outlet on top with that TMIC. It's way too big. The only way it could possibly be done would be to turn it upside down so that the inlet is right above the turbo, and then it would suck routing the TB side.

Archived