LegacyGT.com

06 LGT clutch replacement and hrs of labor?

Buddy recently bought an 06 LGT and his clutch went out. I found the ACT stage 2 for 527 shipped, is that a good deal? Where can I find better?

How many hours of labor does this bill for as well? Some shop told him between 1k-1500 parts and labor which sounds nuts for a clutch replacement. 1k in labor? Last I checked a clutch isn't a 10 hr job.

seems about right for a shop to charge. or at least that's what I was quoted

if you have some tools and can get a hold of a transmission jack just do it yourself.

very helpful >> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-clutch-replacement-video-126975.html

I did my clutch myself (twice actually). The first time took me about 12 hours as I was going super slow and didn't have anything keeping the engine from tilting forward, which made things much much harder. Second time took me 8 hours start to finish (including cleanup)

This job is labor intensive timewise. If you can do it yourself, you'll save a lot of money. It requires removal of the driveshaft, the front axles, transmission, downpipe, heat shields, maybe exhaust - I don't remember fully.

I see you found an ACT kit. Does this include a flywheel? The 05-06 had a dual mass flywheel that you trash on clutch replacement. It is not compatible with a clutch for the 06+ 5MT WRX and 07+ LGT.

An 06+ WRX/07+ LGT flywheel, the hex head bolts, and clutch kit for the 06+ WRX/ 07+ LGT (Clutchmasters FX300, ACT HDSS are well known on this forum), transmission fluid (Subaru extra-s or Motul 75W90 are recommended) will be required to complete the job partswise.

PM one of the forum vendors - m sprank has very fast shipment and prices are great. Check the vendors button at the top navigation bar for more.

The job took about 14 hours for my brother, his friends, and myself to complete on a lift. A few of those hours were lost due to trying to find flywheel bolts (error in shipment - sent 5/6 flywheel bolts and one turbo flange stud). I would estimate if I were to do it again, it would take about 6-8 hours with the lift, possibly a similar time with a trans jack.

I see your new here. Most of us have been talking about the POS OEM DMFW for years. I'm one of the first, Jun 27 2007 to swap out the OEM DMFW and have a Spec LWFW in my 05.

If I did it now I would use a 06 WRX single mass flywheel or a 07-09 Legacy GT SMFW, which is the same thing. See even stupid Subaru figured it out.

The reason you must replace the FW is because you can't re-surface a DMFW. Machine shops will re-surface a SMFW any day.

As for the time it should take, I guess a Dealer or transmisson shop or a independent Subaru repiar shop could do it in 6 hours, may be 5.

The second time I pulled my tranny this past summer I had it out in a couple of hours.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

On a friends 04 wrx I just simply pulled the engine forward. Removed the rad undid a bunch of electrical connections that are not long enough, but left the powersteering and a/c hooked up fully. To hold the transmission up used a jack and used a engine lift and simply pulld the engine close to the a/c condensor gave me enough room to do a clutch and flywheel in only a few hours.

Alot easier than fudging underneath with the transmission.

Hate to say it, but paying someone to do a clutch on these cars is typically a $1500-2000 bill. Not as simple as a Honda or other FWD where it's a few hours of labor and a $150 clutch kit.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at work yesterday when a buddy told me the clutch kit and flywheel for his sons 96 Accord was $188.00, the flywheel was $60.00.

I'm still laughing as I'm typing this.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at work yesterday when a buddy told me the clutch kit and flywheel for his sons 96 Accord was $188.00, the flywheel was $60.00.

I'm still laughing as I'm typing this.

I'm laughing but money tears are coming out :lol:

I paid a friend of a friend with a shop in his driveway $175 in labor and bought a $150 clutch kit for my '99 Si back in the day.

I just had my clutched replaced for $550 for labor at a local Subaru shop. I supplied the new clutch. I also have a 6MT, if that makes any difference.

I was quoted by a Subaru dealer at $750-800 for labor.

6MT shouldn't make a difference. Same steps involved. A total of $1500 is not unreasonable for the labor and parts. $550 doesn't sound bad at all, honestly.

direct from alldata.

clutch disc replacement is 4.4 hrs.

r&r flywheel add 0.2

r&r pilot bushing add 0.2

turbocharged add 0.7

if labor is $100 it would all be $550.

dont know if you can open this link or not but here is alldata

http://alldatapro.com/alldata/PRO~V252605450~C42417~R0~OD~N/0/115013665/117253666/117253857/117253861/34853741/34860071/34860772/34860816/34851645

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Archived