LegacyGT.com

My horror story also need a part number

Freaking talk about a crappy day. On the 26th the day before my roomates wedding we are heading back to the house after picking up our tuxes. Our exit off the highway is a long ess turn that I always coast into the first half and give it a little throttle at the bottom. Well on this glorious day when i proceeded to give the car throttle the rear stated to get light on the wet road so I gave it somemore throttle to help straighten it out. It settled down for a sec when I thought we were ok the car started to rotate (I guess it really wasn't enough throttle) So we go off the road and spin in the mud. So after settling ourselves down I continue off the exit and realize I had a flat. I pulled over and realized the front passenger tire had actually been unseated from the rim so we have to change it. We limp on the spare the last mile or so to the house. When I park in the driveway we realize the rear had some debris trapped between the rear passenger rim and tire and it causes me to lose air in that tire. So I jack the car up to pull the rear wheel off.

I headed off to a lil mom and pop tire place and they check my tires and every thing and were able to get them back on the wheels all for just 10 bux :wow:

I got home and put the rear back on with no issues. Than I lowered the jack to and move to the front. I jacked the front up and took off the spare. As I was trying to line up the front wheel onto the studs i stop and have a cig and talk to my roomate and his dad and we laugh how that off road adventure was cheaper than admission at the fair :) As I turn back to the car the damn factory jack gave way and fell over. I turned white as i thought i was definitely screwed. So after contemplating we decide to grab the factory bmw jack to get the car off my jack. We get the car up and we set the subie jack back up. So we lower the BMW jack and damn subie jack gave again and as it was falling the bmw jack made contact with my side skirt and put a nice dent in it.

So thats why I need the side skirt also If you know where to get the best deal feel free to throw your input in.

Also I now jack stands would have helped but we dont have any

I'll try to take a pic tomorrow

Yeah that sux. I had my own little ordeal last weekend, changing the rear tire of my gf's RAV4. The damn factory jack was not enough to get the rear wheels off the ground. So I usded a wood block to put the jack on, after I got the tire off the ground the jack tipped and the car came down on the rotor right in front of me(thats a weird site). Had to borrow a buddies floor jack, and still had to use the wood block to get it high enough. Damn RAV is too high in the back.

That made me look at the jack for my LGT, and I was pleased to at least see that there were jack points built into the frame for the jack to lock into.

Oh and why are you guys getting your tuxes 26 days before the wedding. I am getting married in 12 days and haven't got mine yet. (Fitted, but not picked up).

I have swapped my wheels about 8 or 9 times with my stock jack..no problems at all. Since I have coil-overs I could jack both the front and rear wheel off the ground from the front jacking point..I need to be more careful in the future.

Are you guys jacking at the designated locations?

Yeah its only a matter of time, the stock jack can only take so many trips up and down, mine finally gave way and broke too!!

not subie related but same jack story.. what happen for me twice stock jack for a 91 Nissan Maxima.. I should of known to pull the ebrake first so I went to change the front tire and as soon as I got up and stood near the front the car rolled forward a bit (car was in park) and he jack gave way (bent) and lucky for me I had the tire UNDER the rotor for the right front or otherwise I would of been without a right foot :-|

Gotta agree on crappy jack. I had a screw in one of my tires and didn't realize until I had driven about 300 yards that it was completely flat. Put the compressor on it, but it wouldn't hold air as it was off the bead. Got out the jack to get the weight off the tire. I had jacked it up about an inch when the car rolled forward a bit and the jack literally started to collapse sideways. My bad because it was a fairly level area and I had only put the car in park and not pulled the e-brake, but still, these jacks seem particularly wimpy.

Rock- My roomate got married on the 27th this ordeal happened on the 26th sorry for the confusion

All- yeah I used the stock jacking positions.

So does anyone know the part number

My mistake, it was perfectly clear upon re-reading. Lately I am just seeing what I want to see. Good luck on the part number.

it's seems on most of these jacking horror stories the true culprit is the person operating the jack. For the most part everyone has mentioned "I forgot to set my e-brake, but the car was in park", glad us MT guys just pull the e-brake out of habit. Also remember to always jack on a SOLID LEVEL surface, or at least block the wheels very well.

Either way, sorry to hear about your side panels, now that your married make sure to get the wife's permission to replace them :lol:

it's seems on most of these jacking horror stories the true culprit is the person operating the jack. For the most part everyone has mentioned "I forgot to set my e-brake, but the car was in park", glad us MT guys just pull the e-brake out of habit. Also remember to always jack on a SOLID LEVEL surface, or at least block the wheels very well.

Either way, sorry to hear about your side panels, now that your married make sure to get the wife's permission to replace them :lol:

um not married it was my roomate who got married and even if i was i would never marry someone i would need to ask "permission" to spend "MY" money on my car :p:p:p:p:p

um not married it was my roomate who got married and even if i was i would never marry someone i would need to ask "permission" to spend "MY" money on my car :p:p:p:p:p

Easier said than done. Once you get married, there is no longer a notion of "my" money, there is only "our" money. That rule even applies if she is unemployed. :eek:

And for the really lucky guys, there is "our" money and "her" money.:spin:

The only thing you don't need permission to spend the "our" money on is when you are buying her a gift, now thats true love. :wub: Don't attempt to apply the same logic for her. If you try, then all of the "our" money becomes "her" money, she dumps you, then a percentage of the future "my" money now becomes "her" money.

Such is life. And if you ever listen to country music, thats how most of them go. Then there is always something about a broken truck and a dead dog too.

I've found that the sock jack for my OBXT is pretty crappy, but the stock jack that i had w/ the 97OBS was a tank, i've lifted it, and tons of other cars hundreds of times! but i've only used the jack from my obxt about.. 5 times, and the threads are already starting to get chewed up, and all sorts of crap... i think i'm just going to carry a bottle jack, and make an adapter for it.. :cool:

Easier said than done. Once you get married, there is no longer a notion of "my" money, there is only "our" money. That rule even applies if she is unemployed. :eek:

And for the really lucky guys, there is "our" money and "her" money.:spin:

The only thing you don't need permission to spend the "our" money on is when you are buying her a gift, now thats true love. :wub: Don't attempt to apply the same logic for her. If you try, then all of the "our" money becomes "her" money, she dumps you, then a percentage of the future "my" money now becomes "her" money.

Such is life. And if you ever listen to country music, thats how most of them go. Then there is always something about a broken truck and a dead dog too.

So true... so true.... And then the bed all of sudden becomes a place just for sleeping, the bathroom just for bathing, the kitchen for cooking, and the car is just to drive??? WTF!?! :mad::spin:

Done with my OT posts though.....

Ouch to your car... hope it isn't too bad to replace.

Archived