LegacyGT.com

We need a HID OEM conversion writeup

abakja1

Been wanting to do a HID conversion and been trying to catch up on reading at HIDPlanet too.

I know some of you go there to do some research and have done a OEM conversion. Can someone do a writeup with pics to help others do the conversion and save $ by passing on some tips?

HIDPlanet says you can just use the H7-ds2 ring adapters, buy the bulbs and you're good to go, but I still have ?'s like dont we need a wiring harness or is it a simple plug in with stock Subaru plug to the bulbs?? Also, the best HID setup is to get either 330-rx or TSX projectors as well? Do we need the ecu (ballast with the better dispersing projector too?),..Seems costly if you go ebay to find all the used parts for sale compared to a XTEC for example, but most peeps still like OEM.

Im a little confused still as do we need to make a wiring adapter so that the stock Subaru to H7 bulb can plug into the DS2 bulb, and do we need a whole new wiring harness with relays so that its a safe install or is the Subaru charging/wiring system safe for the conversion?

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this thread will be the Walkthru instead of having to read all the other HID threads,...

Kevin

Read most of the HID threads, and really want to do a OEM retro fit,..been trying to source RX330 projectors and ballasts, but prices have gone up on Ebay,.

VXCL's thread is very informative,..would like to know what BMW he got the projectors and ballasts out of,..Would be great if he could get me all the parts and even the wiring stuff to make it a complete install for me,...

Kevin

The parts i used are comonly found in last gen bmw 5 series, chrysler pacifica, and some jaguar. you can not really make an exact write up becuase it is not easy to sorce the exact parts and several will work. if you follow my general way of mounting using the oem cutoff shield your good to go. if i am not busy next weekend i will post up a new thread with the exact dimensions of the oem units and their mounting points so you can select d1s or d2s projector units similar in size and shape. then its up to you and a dremel or similar type tool to make new mounts, some new sealent for the lenses, and build a wiring harness. i can get more detailed on the harness if you don't understand the diagram. at this time i do not have parts to sell you. im clean out. parts come at their own will i have no control. one thing that is important is if you want to not have to modify you r oem rear lamp cover or housinig to fit a large high power wire you need to use a d1s setup like mr luv or a hella gen 4 setup like myself that has the ignitors positioned directly onto the bulb.

i am not going to argue the debate between the need for a wiring harness. i prefer to isolate electronics from all oem circuitry. you do what you want.

my post can be found in my sig, i plan to add preadet and mr luv as well.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived