LegacyGT.com

2013 3.6r

gimpydingo

Currently own an 07 GT and love it. Traded in the wifes 07 2.5i for a 2011 Mitsubishi Ralliart. Owned that pile of shit for 2 1/2 months before telling the dealer to take it back due to previous owner flashing the ECU and Mitsubishi not going to honor any warranties going forward. AWESOME! I liked the power, size and bells and whistles the Mitsu had, but an $11000 transmission that is not serviceable (or covered under the warranty because of said modding) and is only replaced is a joke.

Got my money back and now going to look at a 2013 3.6R.

I drove the 2011 model and liked it, ended up getting the GT though :)

The main thing is it needs to be an automatic since my wife can no longer drive a stick....too much soccer is bad for kids!

Since there are no longer automatic WRX's, obv we are looking at the Legacy.

I've looked for other comparable cars, but either they don't have any power (Mazda 6) or they cost far more with similar features (Lexus and Infiniti). Even an Acura costs more. I've looked at Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, Mazda, Ford (Mustang and Focus).

Obviously this is a Subaru forum, but any other suggestions? We priced out the premium 3.6R we wanted with extra goodies, coming out to around $32k. I'm looking at total package vs price, but the 32k (or less) is around where I want to stay.

There is a nice 07 Aston Martin for 71k and an 09 Ferrari Scud for 189k in my town for sale. :)

You could check out the Volvo S60. More refined than a Legacy but would be a fair jump in price if you wanted AWD. Also, less interior room, and a much smaller trunk.

Last option might be 4th gen GT with automatic. It sounds like you just sold her 2.5i, so its not clear she'd want to get back into a very similar car.

We do swap cars and commute with her time to time, so not looking at another GT, unless there's a new one (2012) hiding somewhere. Plus want a new car since we have one older car already. The SH is nice, but yeah 40k+ is just a bit more than a i want to spend. Price vs performance vs bells and whistles, the 3.6R is what I'm looking for. Though a car that can 0 ~ 60 under 5 sec would be nice ;)

The 3.6R is hard to beat at under your budget. We have an S60 T6 and love it. The main drawbacks for an S60 is interior room, trunk room, no spare (you get a can of fricking air) and 18"s on low profile tires = tires blowing out. It's my wife's car and she's been through 3 tires already. Luckily covered under the tire warranty we bought. Oh and I bought her a spare... yeah that takes up nearly a third of the trunk space. There is no sunken area to store it.

But the Pros is speed, nice materials, 5yr warranty and covered maintenance and all the proactive safety tech.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

The 3.6R is hard to beat at under your budget. We have an S60 T6 and love it. The main drawbacks for an S60 is interior room, trunk room, no spare (you get a can of fricking air) and 18"s on low profile tires = tires blowing out. It's my wife's car and she's been through 3 tires already. Luckily covered under the tire warranty we bought. Oh and I bought her a spare... yeah that takes up nearly a third of the trunk space. There is no sunken area to store it.

But the Pros is speed, nice materials, 5yr warranty and covered maintenance and all the proactive safety tech.

I was watching the newer Top Gear where they traveled to find the source of the Nile. The rough roads busted the Volvo's rim. Your comment made me think of that.

And yes, you say you love your 3.6R, that does mean something.

I drove an Outback 3.6R (since no Legacy's on the lot), had a good amount of power which is one of the main things I'm looking for.

Looked at the Mustangs and there is a lot of cool things about those cars. Adjustable shocks, adjustable mapping, able to get a glass roof. But I priced that around $40k....sighhhhh

The Mustang isn't really in the same category of car as the Legacy. For the money, the Mustang is a downright incredible car. If you'd like to get the price down, the two options are either a nicely equipped V6, which still has more power than a 3.6R, or a GT with fewer options. In either case, you're going to get a car which out-performs the Legacy until you get to rain or snow.

The main reasons to get a Legacy are AWD and excellent passenger room in a car with decent performance. The Mustang is much closer to real sports car.

My roommate had a 2007 Mustang GT, and loves it. The exhaust note alone is incredible. But the backseat is really only usable by small children or for short distances. And its a lot of power for daily driving in bad weather.

I love the AWD, since I drive mixed mountain and freeway in NorCal. So few months of rain. The research on the Mustang it seems to have all the traction control options to keep it under control even in the wet.

My wife really wanted her WRX, she loves the GT we own. I have a feeling after owning a 3.6R for a while she may be a bit disappointing with the get up and go. 0 - 60 in the 5.8's, which is mainly for freeway merges, does have enough torque for getting up the mountain and passing big rigs.

My wife also owned a 67 Mustang as her first car, so there's that as well.

$10k difference in car price and if I'm going to shell out $40 - $45k there are other options I could look at. Obviously with the power and bells and whistles I want something reliable that will last us at least 10 years - ~100k miles with low maintenance costs - meaning major repairs. The LGT I'm up on the fluids and top off oil, etc... so those general maintenance costs I'm not too worried about.

Volvo not really interested in, since I've known many people with older, pre 2005, that have had lots of issues, so bit hesitant to go that route.

Bottom line, love Subaru's, it's just the power of the 3.6R that is the only hesitation on pulling the trigger.

I see the a7 and s7's all the time driving around along with the tesla s. If i was going that route I'd get the tesla.

How does everyone feel about the power of the 3.6?

More research on the 2013/2014 mustangs, people having creaking, bad control arms and bushings right after driving off the lot, and wrote a few complaints of transmission chunking.

If I'm budgeting 32k, then legacy it probably is. If i up the budget to 44k, then....?

As you can tell not 100% on anything. I want it all and that's tough, performance, affordability, bells and whistles and reliable. Tough choice, but thanks for all the input!

Love my 3.6R, ofcourse I could always enjoy more power, but it is adequate for me. Enough to have fun now and then, and yet still drive normal. Currently we are considering a second subaru in the garage and it will more than likely be a 3.6 Outback to pair with our 3.6 Legacy.

Mustang vs Legacy is not a fair comparison..... so that is a decision you and your wife will have to make.

BMW reintroduced the 320 for the US market this year. I just built an AWD version for around $38K msrp. You can most likely get it around $35 for a dealer that is willing to deal. They also have good deals on the 328 leases now if you are a lease type of a guy

If AWD is a must 3.6R is hard to beat, if you do not care about AWD and want a sedan, I would go with the 3 series.

GL either way.

Mustang vs Legacy is not a fair comparison..... so that is a decision you and your wife will have to make.

BMW reintroduced the 320 for the US market this year. I just built an AWD version for around $38K msrp. You can most likely get it around $35 for a dealer that is willing to deal. They also have good deals on the 328 leases now if you are a lease type of a guy

If AWD is a must 3.6R is hard to beat, if you do not care about AWD and want a sedan, I would go with the 3 series.

GL either way.

The Mustang is off the table at this point.

I'm just looking for idea/personal experiences with cars and manufacturers. Loved the Mitsubishi I had for 2 months, but never never never will buy another of their cars or products.

Re:BMW, I always here the tales of expensive oil/fluid changes/maintenance and a $700 battery. Since you have an M3, what the reality of this. Do you change your own fluids (yeah that sounds weird)?

I guess there is a Mercedes A series coming out, starting around $38k.

The Mustang is off the table at this point.

I'm just looking for idea/personal experiences with cars and manufacturers. Loved the Mitsubishi I had for 2 months, but never never never will buy another of their cars or products.

Re:BMW, I always here the tales of expensive oil/fluid changes/maintenance and a $700 battery. Since you have an M3, what the reality of this. Do you change your own fluids (yeah that sounds weird)?

I guess there is a Mercedes A series coming out, starting around $38k.

BMW is pretty hard to beat when it comes to overall experience. I've owned many of them and my wife has a 2002 Mini Cooper S. The way the 3 series drive, handle (and look) is far superior to any of the Subaru's.

Yes, the service is bit more expensive but it is 100% free for 1st 4 years or 50K miles for scheduled services.....(even if you buy a used BMW that is less than 4 yrs and under 50K miles) Everything except tires and gas is covered (brakes, fluid changes &etc). $700 battery changes? A BMW battery doesn't cost more than any other cars battery. I am sure you can go after market but never had to replace a battery. MINI is still on its original battery

My 2008 Legacy's 30K service was ~700 and I am sure that is pretty comparable to what BMW would charge for a car that is outside of maint agreement.

Most BMW's require service every 15K and the cost of a oil change is ~130 but dealers always have specials and send you coupons. (I do 5K oil changes on mine) We just serviced the MINI for $65 for its annual oil change. I don't do my own service any more..... Hard to beat a $65 full synthetic oil change.

We got the 3.6R bec I did not want the out going body style of the BMW Sedan (E90). But if I were in the market now, I would absolutely get the new 328i w/ xdrive.......and most likely do European delivery as it provides further discounts.

Subs are nice but with the significant price increase on the Legacy, the 3 series is becoming more and more attractive.

The downsides that most BMW owners complain are the runflat tires (they don't bother me) and the lack of spare tire and lack of oil dipstick. You just have to trust the electronics on the BMW and Subaru's are a bit more old fashioned.

Go test drive one and see what you think. I just got rid of my M3 and will be ordering the new M4 once it is available :) . Also, if you end up ordering a BMW, the customizable options are far far superior to subaru. You can pick your own interior color to dash trim to what kind of seats you want...... Picking an exterior color pretty much determines the int of your Sub. I would of gotten an white Legacy if I could of had one with black interior..... Subaru thinks that you should only get the beige int with their White cars.....

PS: I don't work for BMW.

Cheers!

I bought a loaded 3.6R Limited yesterday for $26,998. Leather, heated seats, moonroof, basically everything except Nav and Eyesight, which are two things I don't care about. Sticker price was $31,300. Look for internet specials, and if you want to buy local, make the local dealer match the price. Now is a good time to buy a new Subaru.

I would avoid BMW or Audi, unless you plan to buy new and sell it before it hits 75,000 miles. Maintenance on BMWs and Audis gets ridiculous, and they become VERY problematic when you get miles on them. A Subaru should give you 200,000+ trouble-free miles with regular service, and everything will still work. Japanese cars are just more reliable. If you're not going to be happy with anything less than a purebred enthusiast's car that handles great, and if you don't mind paying the premium for the added maintenance, then buy a BMW. If you want a nice car that handles great, lasts forever, and is very comfortable, but may not have the prestige of a German car, buy a Subaru.

Thanks everyone, been a tough choice. Ordered a new 2013 Legacy 3.6R last night, it's being sent down from the warehouse then we'll take a drive and inspect it before final signing. Fully loaded like ^, no Nav or Eyesight, but added just about everything else the trim and puddle lights and spoiler, etc... Ended up getting it for $31000 out the door (tax, title, fees included). I'm happy with the price.

A slightly used Chrysler 300C would be about the same price. The 2011 revision made the interior a lot nicer and they also added AWD as an option if you wanted it. That big V8 has tons of potential. The MPGs are actually pretty close between the cars. I have an 06 GT and have driven the 10+ version. They made it bigger but it also seems less sporty to me; more of a normal sedan than a sports sedan. A used Infiniti G37 would also be something to consider. There is also an AWD version if you really wanted it.

Thanks everyone, been a tough choice. Ordered a new 2013 Legacy 3.6R last night, it's being sent down from the warehouse then we'll take a drive and inspect it before final signing. Fully loaded like ^, no Nav or Eyesight, but added just about everything else the trim and puddle lights and spoiler, etc... Ended up getting it for $31000 out the door (tax, title, fees included). I'm happy with the price.

Congrats! You'll love it. I really wanted puddle lights and lighted door sills, but the wife said no go. I did get the all weather floor mats, though. I think we'll add a trunk spoiler eventually. My Dad owns an auto body shop and I can probably get one of his guys to paint and install it for the cost of materials and a six pack of beer. :lol:

Archived