LegacyGT.com

Purchasing car with blown motor, am I forgetting anything?

Hello all. I'm very close to purchasing an 05 outback XT 5MT with 144k miles that needs a new shortblock. The car smokes, burns oil, and has bearing noise. Aside from the motor is very clean. Among other things, its recently had timing belt/water pump, all fluids, front brakes, and turbo replaced.

My concern is that after the turbo was replaced, and the car was driven. Not a lot, but depending on why the old one was replaced (which is unknown) I could be setting myself up for a money pit.

Here's what I'm thinking I'll need

-Short block $1,900

-gasket set $250

-Oil Pump $200

-Clean/Inspect Oil Pan - $0

-Bring Heads to be inspected for debris/cleaned -$??

I could also potentially need a new turbo if what ruined the old one was not fixed, which it most likely wasn't

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm trying to make an informed decision. The car will be $4,000 and I'm looking at, I think, another 2,000-3,000 (installing with a friend)

Am I missing something? Or am I worrying too much? Any other insight? My other option is an 05 outback with 200k but seriously looks brand new and has full maintenance records. That cost me about $5,000 out the door, though it may need major work down the line.

Is the other outback that your considering the turbo model? I assume not, thats comparing apples an oranges. The non turbo models engine is a lot cheaper to maintain, sohc i believe, those engine are a lot more reliable. The turbo is by far more expensive to upkeep and maintain, but has a shit ton more potential and is a lot more fun to drive.

oil cooler, timing belt kit and water pump, probably ocvs.

Yes, oil cooler thanks!

Timing belt and water pump already done.

The other one is turbo as well. I'm familiar with both the joys and frustrations of ownership. This will be a second car so I have something else to drive during down time, and will probably drive it no more than 4-5k miles a year.

1k more for a working engine seems like the better deal imo. If it has full maintenance records and if all the appropriate parts were changed and if it has good compression and the turbo has no shaft play then I would say thats by far the better deal. Good compression and shaft play meaning you would only need to change turbo would still be a better deal, but bad compression and lots of shaft play then your back in the same boat, but at least you can drive it home. I would say get a better look at the 5k subaru, if you can check compression and shaft play before purchasing then I would do so.

Did the 200k car have 1 owner? Your in CT so could have been someone that worked in the city and had to drive a lot to work. Dealership or lot, and was it maintained at dealership, same place or random places? A car in great condition and well maintained with high miles, hopefully highway and little problems imo is better than one that has been beat on with city miles.

Enfield, great. Stop by Eastwoods Auto Machine in Somersville by the old mill. Tell Mark that Byron sent you. They all know me, my tranny guy works there too, Angelo. Dan is the engine builder, he's great.

At Surburban Subaru in Manchester tell the parts guy's, I sent you. They should give you a good discount on OEM parts, my short block and OEM parts came from them, Karl, Will, Brett, and Matt. Great guy's.

Your also going to want to contact CT08Spec.B he'll take care of your insurance needs.

He hooked me up with Brett at Surburban.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The 200k outback is one owner, serviced exclusively at a subaru dealership in Torrington Ct. I reviewed service history on Carfax and called them for any "big" items they may have serviced. In addition to the regular stuff the car had timing belt at 105k, Turbo replaced at 124k, and clutch at 156k. Timing belt will need to be done again but I can handle that.

I kind of like the idea of doing the engine swap, but there's no way to know how much will need to be replaced until we get in there. All in cost could be as "cheap" as 6500 (which is pretty good for a car with 144k and new engine) but could be a couple grand more. Plus I'd need to go to New Hampshere to pick it up, and it will be a couple months before its back together. And it needs tires too

If I can get the 200k one for 4500 than I save a couple grand now and will have time to save up for large ticket items if they show up.

Decisions decisions

IMO if you can get the 144k car cheaply, it has fewer miles over all on it.

With the local contacts, you can have a great second car as long as your welling to spend a few grand to get it right.

Oh, my Tuner is in Vernon CT, www.tuningalliance.com, everything you need is right here. Anything I can't or don't want to do, I take the car to Rich at Colonial tire and Brake in Somersville on rt190, known him for almost 30 years now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

IMO if you can get the 144k car cheaply, it has fewer miles over all on it.

With the local contacts, you can have a great second car as long as your welling to spend a few grand to get it right.

Oh, my Tuner is in Vernon CT, www.tuningalliance.com, everything you need is right here. Anything I can't or don't want to do, I take the car to Rich at Colonial tire and Brake in Somersville on rt190, known him for almost 30 years now.

Thanks for feedback and local contacts!

The dealer selling the 144k one is holding at $4,000. I'd probably be looking at 7-8k all in. I don't think I want to spend that and deal with transporting the car, having it sit, and the labor. I can get the other one now, save a few bucks and plan a build.

The other one is a XT too ?

The turbo's are much more fun and great if you take care of them.

Having time to plan is a big plus.

oil cooler, timing belt kit and water pump, probably ocvs.

maybe rebuild heads if valve guides or valves a problem

Depending on how the last turbo shit the bed, you'll want to replace anything and everything that touches/touched oil. This means new oil cooler and pump, and OCVs are just a good idea.

Headwork is almost mandatory when doing an engine rebuild. At the very least get the heads resurfaced, but for a few dollars more, you can have the valves ground, replace the valve guides, have the lash set. . It's just a good idea.

Just because the tbelt has been done a short time ago, doesn't mean it's still good. You're in there and tearing stuff down -- I'd take a close look at replacing as much as you can, just for peace of mind.

The good news is that you'll have a backup block (most of us who have done rebuilds do!) to keep building once your project is done, so that when the time comes to replace the rebuild, you're ready to go. :)

^thank you for the info. I think I'm going to pass on the car. It would be nice to have it, but its getting close to the point where I'd spend more money than the car is worth. I don't want a new money pit. I've got enough of them already :)

The 200k outback is one owner, serviced exclusively at a subaru dealership in Torrington Ct. I reviewed service history on Carfax and called them for any "big" items they may have serviced. In addition to the regular stuff the car had timing belt at 105k, Turbo replaced at 124k, and clutch at 156k. Timing belt will need to be done again but I can handle that.

I kind of like the idea of doing the engine swap, but there's no way to know how much will need to be replaced until we get in there. All in cost could be as "cheap" as 6500 (which is pretty good for a car with 144k and new engine) but could be a couple grand more. Plus I'd need to go to New Hampshere to pick it up, and it will be a couple months before its back together. And it needs tires too

If I can get the 200k one for 4500 than I save a couple grand now and will have time to save up for large ticket items if they show up.

Decisions decisions

The fact that the car went to 125k on original turbo and original clutch at 156k, imo means it was an older driver, serviced religiously and the car was not abused at all, it was basically granny driven and garaged if the paint and undercarriage is in great condition.

I duno, people are always about the miles, but i'm more interested in the real story. 144k of highschooler/aggressive/multiple owners, beating the shit out of it, and not checking oil and maintenance leading to blown bearings is a lot worse than 200k by a responsible 40 year old commuting to work who actually made the motor last to 200k. It may not be the real stories so I have to use my imagination some lol.

Its more about how the miles were attained. 125k original turbo vs shot bearings at 144k.... where theres smoke theres fire.

Also is there any kind of warranty from the 200k? The other car is a used lot car i assume because dealerships usually don't sell cars with blown engines.

Which car looks better interior and exterior wise? If the exterior and interior are in better condition on the 200k then I personally would go with the 200k car for 500-1000k more, has a good history and was all done at the stealership.

Also is there any kind of warranty from the 200k? The other car is a used lot car i assume because dealerships usually don't sell cars with blown engines.

Which car looks better interior and exterior wise? If the exterior and interior are in better condition on the 200k then I personally would go with the 200k car for 500-1000k more, has a good history and was all done at the stealership.

Thanks for all the advice and insight. I completely agree, I care more about maintenance than miles. The car did have strong maintenance history, but when I actually drove it (had only seen it the first time) I was shocked how bad it was. It shook like crazy under acceleration and had almost NO brakes. Gas pedal seemed to stick and there was a smell. No warranty being offered and the salesman seemed to think the car was "perfect", like it was god's gift to humanity.

So I'm pretty much at a standstill. If I could sell my bike, than I'd pick up the car that needs the motor and do the install the right way. I just don't have the funds to do it with the bike still in the garage

I did get contacted by someone selling an 04 forester XT 5MT and is interested in a trade for the bike, so I might have a something brewing there. I definitely prefer a legacy or outback, but the forester is cool in its own right.

Warranty? With that kind of mileage on a turbocharged car? Are you nuts?

Archived