LegacyGT.com

Shift Indicator Lights

xameius

Hi there, I just bought an 05 Legacy GT (and its awesome!!) however the shift indicator lights next to the shifter are burned out. Is this something I can replace? If so, what kind of bulb/fuse would it take? Or is it something a dealership has to do?

we have shift indicator lights next to the shifter??:confused: no such thing. auto or 5 spd? I have 5spd and have nothing of the sort.

sure it's not a mod from previous owner that's disabled?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I think they only light up with the headlights on. If they don't, do your window up/down switches light up with the headlights on? If not check your fuses. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

I'll try checking my fuses. Every other light lights up, including window up/down, with the headlights on. If the fuses are OK has anyone had this problem and changed the bulbs themselves? I tried poking around the shifter area to see what I could remove and didn't get very far. Seems like I might have to bring it to the dealer if its not a fuse.

If its only the + and - then it probably wouldn't be the fuse. I have never taken the "Postition plate", but I have ripped apart my center dash before.

1. Make sure car is on level ground, Put into neutral with parking break on. (Also recommending doing chalks if you are worried about it moving)
  2. Disconnect Negative on the battery
  3. Use a small flat head screw driver with a bit of tape on it and pry up the silver ring by going around the outside and lifting evenly.
  4. Take off shifter knob by turning counter-clockwise
  5. Use a large flat head screw driver or panel removal tool to remove the large outer silver panel (Not the "Position Plate"). To do this put the tool facing the rear of the vehicle Like shown in the picturehttp://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67845&stc=1&d=1242503268
  6. Pry up and the entire thing should slide out. You will also need to disconnect the connector behind the cig lighter
  7. After that Start looking for any screws or tabs that can be holding the position plate down. (this I didn't take off)
  8. To reassemble, go in reverse order. In total only takes about 3 minutes to pop everything off.

Edit: Also found this, might be useful:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67846&stc=1&d=1242504088

screwdriver.thumb.jpg.30ab994d42966be3c90f2cde192f8b4d.jpg

screwdriver2.jpg.4f4676d3f0590c8553b65c2f1ed2e294.jpg

Thanks for the detailed instructions Imrac, they worked perfectly. It was surprisingly easy, and I didn't even have to disconnect the cigarette lighter.

Now my next question: anyone know what type of bulb this is?

bulb.thumb.jpg.3969d5e1f6c487b485baa3b56686dacc.jpg

Push comes to shove I'll just bring it to my local electrical/lighting store.

Archived