LegacyGT.com

Removing coils / changing spark plugs

Just passing along something I learned today while removing the coils. On the 2005-09 Legacy GT, if you rotate the coil 180 degrees before removing or installing, it will be much much easier. For removal, simply unbolt the coil, unhook the connector if you need to (careful, the coil connector is brittle, it might break) and rotate it 180, and pull it out and up.

I hope this is helpful.

yeah i seen that post ill be doing my plugs sun and i also bought a new pack im getting misfire on cyl 3 random most times ... figure there toast .. from stock, to a shitty ap1, now im opensource.. im willing to bet mine are fried lol..

As someone else said in the other thread. Most of us learned early on to rotate plug wires and hoses before you try and remove them.

I think I learned that back about age 14.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As someone else said in the other thread. Most of us learned early on to rotate plug wires and hoses before you try and remove them.

I think I learned that back about age 14.

No need to talk down to me...

you and I are talking about two different issues. Yes, rotating hoses and wires makes them easier to remove.

The reason you want to rotate the Legacy's coils before removing them is that there is no clearance between the cylinder heads and the "frame" of the car. With the coil upside down (rotated axially) there is enough clearance to slide the coils in and out of the heads. Once they are in the head, you can rotate the coils and tighten down the retaining bolt.

• Moderators

He's not talking down to you, that's just the way he is :lol:

The idea to rotate the coil packs for removal is covered extensively in the spark plug walkthrough already on the site. Never hurts to repeat the info though and I'm sure it will help others. Several of us have done plugs on these cars before and aside from jacking up the engine there's no way to remove the #4 coil pack aside from rotating it. It's common knowledge, so just don't fault us for not being blown away by the info ;)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

No need to talk down to me...

QUOTE]

Didn't mean it that way, just being a troll.

Guy's like BMB know that by me saying when I was 14y/o, is picking on my age, I'm 58y/o, that was more of a old guy joke then talking down to you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yea that's it, it's 68F here at my desk, only problem is I've spent most of the day in the test cell, it's 91F in there, no AC just a 18" explosion proof fan on the floor.

Here is another tip;

Some BL/BP's have some sort of sound deadening insulation along the frame rail where the plugs are. If you remove the forward most clip you can swing it down out of the way and get another 1/4" of room.

Not sure why some cars have this and some do not. Mine does, I've see other 05's that don't and I've seen later models with and without this.:iam:

dont think mine has that deadening stuff ,, hate to tangle with these plugs as work was bad enough this week being plus 90 all week and atleast 95 to 98 in the paint booth ... think i lost 12 lbs this week

but has to be done so ill dive in sun when it cools off to 86 yaay lol .. beats 95 lol

Archived