LegacyGT.com

Blown turbo... trying to figure out turbo upgrade or just replace stock. help.

Hey guys,

I have an 07 LGT, automatic, 48k miles with a blown turbo sitting at the dealer.

They want $2000 parts and labor to fix it with a stock turbo from Subaru, but I figured since I am spending money anyway to replace the turbo, maybe I should upgrade the turbo to something aftermarket.

I get the sense that generally coming from stock, a new turbo is not the first pick when upgrading, but in this case I already blew my turbo and don't want to double charge myself, now and later if I replace the stock and want to upgrade later.

The choices I have at the moment are upgrade to a AMR CX500, let the dealer install it, limp the car home 8 miles and let it sit until the tuner can fit me in, then add a few extra mods like FP, injectors, AP, etc.

or pay the $2000 for a stock replacement, wait until I have some more money and just go the route of intake, exhaust, AP, etc without an upgraded turbo.

I am really stuck as to what I should do.

I don't mind spending perhaps $3000 total at the moment, maybe a little more if I can be done with it. I never had any other issues with the car. I don't really want to blow my engine or transmission soon either.

I have been telling the dealer to sit on it for a while until I figure out what to do and detail it in the meantime.

Any suggestions fellas? It will be for street driving, but I love me a fast car :)

In the same situation when going this route you must also consider your clutch. You would need to upgrade. Also don't let the need for more power cloud your judgement of what is right to do. There is so much information on turbo upgrades its overwhelming. Read read and read some more. If you have the funds and know something about tuning go that route. I am still debating myself on what to get but sometimes its better to start slow then jumping in the deep in my. 02

Have a 20g FS bnr with upgraded actuator
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

When you say the turbo blew...what happened ? Rattling, Check engine light, ??

Bearings, wastegate seized ?? Would be worth telling whoever swaps it out

to let you look at the original turbo to see if the vanes are damaged etc.,.

Just curious.

Starved for oil. The one time I went to long without an oil change, CEL came on coming back from vacation down the shore. Was making rattling noises, um... gear creaking noises?, had a P0011 and P0021 code.

Got the oil changed at my local mechanic, asked him to look for any metal before I took it to the dealer. He said it looked like my Turbo was about done.

Took it to the dealer, they said I need a new turbo.

They werent very specific with the analysis but assured me all i need is a new turbo and that everything else should be fine once that is done.

I plan to tell them to check the oil system before I take it out of there. If anyone has any more specific instructions I should give to the dealer, that would be appreciated as well.

• I Donated Too

ask the dealership to kindly use lube first :lol:

Get car towed to tuner. Spend 3k on Tuning,BNR 18g, Injectors, Pump, DP, and New intercooler. Profit.

or do this^^

guess it depends on how soon you need your car up and running

Starved for oil. The one time I went to long without an oil change, CEL came on coming back from vacation down the shore. Was making rattling noises, um... gear creaking noises?, had a P0011 and P0021 code.

Got the oil changed at my local mechanic, asked him to look for any metal before I took it to the dealer. He said it looked like my Turbo was about done.

Took it to the dealer, they said I need a new turbo.

They werent very specific with the analysis but assured me all i need is a new turbo and that everything else should be fine once that is done.

I plan to tell them to check the oil system before I take it out of there. If anyone has any more specific instructions I should give to the dealer, that would be appreciated as well.

"Down the shore"? Sounds like you're within 100 miles of Kenilworth, New Jersey. Call AZP Installs for a quote.

Archived