LegacyGT.com

Test driving 05 LGT tomorrow

Adamcor

Hey everyone. I've really admired subarus for a while and have recently been looking for a wrx. Sadly I cannot find any in my price range that are not high mileage or very abused.

Anyways, I ran into this Legacy GT on Craigslist and am going to the dealership for a test drive tomorrow.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/ctd/4133080647.html

I never really looked at legacys before so is there anything people can tell me about this compared to a wrx? Most likely I will eventually add a few mods (BOV, Exaust) just a few small things like that and I will definitely be tuning it.

Also, what should I look at when I go see the car?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT - Just looked up the carfax. Has had only 1 owner since 2004. They always went to a subaru dealership for maintenance about every 3,000 miles. I'm guessing that's the oil change. Also had it's cylinder head and head gaskets replaced about a year ago. Looks pretty good to me so far.

How many miles on the GT? You aren't losing much performance-wise going to the LGT, and you gain a much nicer interior and a bit more space - given the choice between a similar WRX and the GT, I'd definitely take the GT (esp. since it's a manual!)

How many miles on the GT? You aren't losing much performance-wise going to the LGT, and you gain a much nicer interior and a bit more space - given the choice between a similar WRX and the GT, I'd definitely take the GT (esp. since it's a manual!)

It's got about 130k on it. I know that's a lot but I really only plan on keeping this car until the end of summer and then I am probably selling it and buying something a little newer.

And from looking at the specs it looks very very similar to the WRX so I am thinking if the test drive goes well I might be a subaru owner tomorrow!

Don't let the mileage influence your decision too much. I just bought an 05 with 186k on it about 5 months ago. As long as it was properly maintained, its a good choice. I got a great deal, the car i bought is in way better shape than some of the low mileage ones i looked at. I'm very happy with it. My car was one owner always went to the dealership. By saving that money i could have spent on a 60-80k mileage car, i can do whatever mods i want now. I love it!

It's good that oil changes were done at dealer. Ask for service records is it at a dealer or private party? There is a lot of good reading on here. The head or heads being replaced is concerning. Possibly from broken timing belt, worped from severe over heating, or burnt valves. It might be a great car. Good luck.

Take the test drive and really listed to the trans, first and second whine, but should be relatively quiet otherwise. Also let it cool for 5-10 minutes and then check the oil, see how it looks. Looks good in the pics.

I had an LGT and went to a STi, but came back to an LGT.

It's good that oil changes were done at dealer. Ask for service records is it at a dealer or private party? There is a lot of good reading on here. The head or heads being replaced is concerning. Possibly from broken timing belt, worped from severe over heating, or burnt valves. It might be a great car. Good luck.

It is a private party dealer and they told me the timing belt was replaced but sounded kinda of unsure about it so I am planning on getting that changed if I purchase it anyways.

Honestly if I buy it I plan on bringing it to a shop and getting everything looked at and am going to replace everything that should be replaced.

I'm really hoping this test drive goes good tomorrow. I'll most likely be a very active member on these forums if so!

Test drive went great! Clutch feels perfect and I didn't notice anything wrong at all with the car. I gave them a down payment and am picking up the car on Monday.

Thanks for your help everyone I hope to talk to you all soon!

I personally wouldn't modify any car that I was planning to keep 9 months and then sell.

I'm only planning on doing a few small things. Right now I am planning on purchasing a new exhaust. Then maybe a new wastegate and definitely a BOV. Last but not least probably up/down pipes.

I'm not too worried about what the resale value will be.

I'm only planning on doing a few small things. Right now I am planning on purchasing a new exhaust. Then maybe a new wastegate and definitely a BOV. Last but not least probably up/down pipes.

I'm not too worried about what the resale value will be.

Please read all the modification threads before buying anything. Once you do up/down pipes you start getting stage 2 an you need a tune. Also a BOV may rob you of power. And a wastegate? I'll let someone else answer that one.

Congrats on your purchase. Old man Bosco has a saying: stay stock, stay happy.

:lol:

X

---

Please read all the modification threads before buying anything. Once you do up/down pipes you start getting stage 2 an you need a tune. Also a BOV may rob you of power. And a wastegate? I'll let someone else answer that one.

Congrats on your purchase. Old man Bosco has a saying: stay stock, stay happy.

:lol:

X

Sorry, I haven't really looked too much into any mods yet. I want to make sure that nothing is wrong with the car so I will probably not start doing any modifications for at least month or so.

I also plan on getting a tune after any modification I do. There are plenty of tuning dynos around me I am visiting this place next week.

http://swiftmotorsports.com/

They're only like 15 minutes away from me!

• 2 weeks later...
It's got about 130k on it. I know that's a lot but I really only plan on keeping this car until the end of summer and then I am probably selling it and buying something a little newer.

And from looking at the specs it looks very very similar to the WRX so I am thinking if the test drive goes well I might be a subaru owner tomorrow!

Buying a Suby and hoping for an easy resale don't go hand and hand very welll.. Just an FYI, to much of a niche brand.

Archived